BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Should I feel bad for not getting navi ?

08-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #23
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigor View Post
Interesting. News to me. Didn't think halogens on the X1 was even a thing.
Well...you learn something new every day.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #24
Peter C
FREng
Italy
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
I have used BMW Navigation for many years. I would disagree that it is crap. I would say in its defence that all you have to do is use it, set up the options as you want them, and learn how it works and it is a great tool. More so if you have RTTI in your country.
I am interested in your satisfaction with the navigation system.
i live in central Italy and recently bought my first BMW an X1 xDrive25e. I am delighted with it after a steep learning curve. But the navigator is a disappointment:
I am using EUROPE Way 2021-2. I have learnt the hard way that:
• Many roads are missing; some that existed long before digital maps were widely available, and others that have been created or changed in recent years.
• Many place names are missing or shown in the wrong location.
• The route-finding algorithm is unreliable and quirky. It recommends unsuitable roads, such as one with a tunnel fit only for cyclists and pedestrians! It copes poorly with enforced departures from the recommended route, often advising long detours when a simple short alternative is available.
• There appears to be no way to report map and route errors.

Do you think I am missing something important?
Thanks for any feedback.
Peter C
BMW X1 xDrive25e
Mercedes SLK 320
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #25
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

How does BMW Nav compare with Google Maps, Apple Maps, Garmin, TomTom, Waze or other systems?

Did you set the routing to avoid unpaved roads?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 05:10 AM   #26
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

As I previously said, my experience with BMW navi was vary bad here in Bulgaria at least. Many of the newer roads are not existing and you have to wait like an year for the next update. Furthermore, the routing was very bad and it frequently chose routes which were like 20-25% slower than the fastest ones.

Ever since I activated my Apple Carplay, I've been using Google Maps and Waze exclusively and it is much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #27
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

The BMW nav warns about upcoming turns and such earlier than Waze/GM/AM. I also love using the HUD. And being able to zoom in and out via the knob is great. Those three are enough to get me to use the built in nav over CarPlay apps.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #28
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco II View Post
The BMW nav warns about upcoming turns and such earlier than Waze/GM/AM. I also love using the HUD. And being able to zoom in and out via the knob is great. Those three are enough to get me to use the built in nav over CarPlay apps.
For me the poor traffic feed of the BMW native and insistence on sending me on its route no matter what traffic is, that's a terminal failure IMO
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:05 AM   #29
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

BMW Nav works for me in Canada and U.S. Real time traffic is good also. I don't care if a route is a little longer as long as I don't get lost. HUD is great and I don't look at the HU screen.

It sounds like how good the maps are depends on the country/region.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #30
Peter C
FREng
Italy
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs2229 View Post
How does BMW Nav compare with Google Maps, Apple Maps, Garmin, TomTom, Waze or other systems?

Did you set the routing to avoid unpaved roads?
I haven't come across an option to avoid unpaved roads; only to avoid motorways, toll roads, tax vignette roads, and ferries/motorail trains.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:32 PM   #31
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Agree that navigation in Canada works fantastic with real time traffic and heads up display. We drive alot and always using the Nav. It hasn't let us down yet. We typically use our mobile to beam the address to the car.

Though I think my fave feature is if you live in a hilly area, the X1 will always look at elevation and upcoming turns in the maps data to change gears (I.e. Downshift) ahead of time. Only works in sport and comfort mode. Eco will always use the highest gear possible for fuel efficiency. Makes a big difference in the commute that the car is always in the right gear. My wife's old VW would wait until the engine was under strain on a hill then finally downshift.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #32
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter C View Post
I haven't come across an option to avoid unpaved roads; only to avoid motorways, toll roads, tax vignette roads, and ferries/motorail trains.
Sorry, the X1 does not have an option to avoid unpaved roads. That feature is in the Sygic app which I used in other cars without built-in navigation.

Like the X1 system, Sygic (available for Android/iPhone) stores the maps in your smartphone and does not require a wireless data connection (except for traffic info). Google Maps require a cellular connection which may not be available or be spotty in some rural/mountainous areas.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #33
PRoberts22
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Just my 2¢ — the only redeeming benefit of the BMW nav is that directions can be displayed on HUD (if you have it). Otherwise, in terms of latest up-to-date routing, Google or Waze are better
Spot on.
      08-03-2021, 04:43 PM   #34
imcluelesstoday
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1

I picked up a 2018 X1. Unfortunately, it didn't have NAV. I've been reading thru the forums and seems only option for OEM is to replace the HU. Which i'd consider since my vehicle came with the 6.5 non-touch and I'd like to have the larger 8.8.
Has anyone gone down this road and if so, what challenges did you encounter when swapping HUs? I understand there are codes that can be a challenge as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #35
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcluelesstoday View Post
I picked up a 2018 X1. Unfortunately, it didn't have NAV. I've been reading thru the forums and seems only option for OEM is to replace the HU. Which i'd consider since my vehicle came with the 6.5 non-touch and I'd like to have the larger 8.8.
Has anyone gone down this road and if so, what challenges did you encounter when swapping HUs? I understand there are codes that can be a challenge as well.
There are retrofit kits available that give you everything you need. The other option is go wth a stock looking aftermarket unit like iNav or Avin. Will work with your steering wheel controls and idrive controller but will be an Android based machine for navigation. Your stock idrive interface will still be available too.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #36
eltech
Private
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Maybe this?
https://www.drive2.ru/l/592369037363669856/
Sorry, it is in russian language.

Last edited by eltech; 08-06-2021 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #37
imcluelesstoday
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
There are retrofit kits available that give you everything you need. The other option is go wth a stock looking aftermarket unit like iNav or Avin. Will work with your steering wheel controls and idrive controller but will be an Android based machine for navigation. Your stock idrive interface will still be available too.
Ok cool. Thanks for the info. But it isn't something that could be FSC code to unlock like some other features? Sorry, new to BMW and learning how eco system functions. I believe my unit is ENAVEVO, 6.5 non-touch screen.
Appreciate 0