BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) ACC Retrofit questions

03-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #23
xlr8it
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 20d, SLK55AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Hi,
I just ordered an X2 with ACC but haven't received it yet. Do you know if you can still use the normal cruise control with braking, instead of the camera-based ACC?

cheers
Yes you can, just hold the distance shorter button until normal cruise engages (5sec)
That is all i use now unless it is a clear sunny day and it is just cars in front of you
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 04:51 AM   #24
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Thanks guys
cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 01:47 AM   #25
nbak
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePulse64 View Post
Has anybody done a retrofit and added the ACC to their X1?
From what I was reading you need the camera and the switch on the steering wheel (and VO code)

I have the camera system already installed (collision, pedestrian, and Lane change). Before I spend the money getting those controls I wanted to see if anybody else has successfully done it.
Hello, has your ACC transformation been successful?
I have the same problem, can you share the coding method?
Thank you:thumsup:
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 07:09 AM   #26
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbak View Post
Quote:
Has anybody done a retrofit and added the ACC to their X1?
From what I was reading you need the camera and the switch on the steering wheel (and VO code)

I have the camera system already installed (collision, pedestrian, and Lane change). Before I spend the money getting those controls I wanted to see if anybody else has successfully done it.
Hello, has your ACC transformation been successful?
I have the same problem, can you share the coding method?
Thank you:thumsup:
Unfortunately, No. Even though I could get a SAS ECU I have no idea how to wire it into the existing harness.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #27
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Waste of time and money on something that's useless IMHO

I've rented numerous cars that have this feature with some of them using camera based systems while others use radar. Even those with lane departure assist. Some of them sway back and forth when the lanes are wide while others are pretty good at it. The ACC is pretty much useless most of the time in traffic which is most of our driving pretty well almost everywhere in the world. The only time is on flat straight highways with little traffic so unless you're travelling a lot on long boring highways... And even then it has problems in rain, snow, fog and anything less than ideal conditions. My advice? Spend your money on other mods. I added a few interior things like a console box under the armrest so that I can hide my stuff. It's contoured and molded that it looks like factory and there's even holes for the USB and power. Other items, BMW logo projector under the front doors. Chrome trim for the rubber knobs, Pioneer tweeters on mounted at the same place as the HK ones and a Pioneer sub in the trunk with a remote in the coin box under the light switch. It also features an active EQ. It was a bit tricky to equalize the sound especially with the two subs under the front seats. Those under-seat speakers are now lower mids and the door speakers are upper mids. I also programmed a bunch of features found on other Bimmer models like the 3 and 5 by hiring a coding expert so that you can program the ECU to accept LED lights. LED Turns in front and back, LED Fogs...and upgrade the engine performance by modifying the turbo-boost to get slightly more HP and TQ along with a BMS CAI. Noticeable performance change enough to bring a nice grin on your face. Bigger wheels and tires are a plus too because of the better handling than with standard 18" wheels and crappy run-flats. Just have an emergency bottle of that tire air and sealant in case. Just these little things. Also for those like us in Canada where the dealers order vehicles from BMW Europe (KMS and optional French instead of MPH) and don't know what they're doing...you can order a BMW mirror with compass with auto dimming and homelink for the garage door from EBAY and they're not expensive. Hope this was useful to some of you out there. Stay safe and healthy and enjoy your life one day at a time. Vaccines and cures are around the corner and today we had some good news from an extensive research study conducted in several Asian countries including Korea that you definitely can NOT catch this virus twice. The virus DNA (RNA) is such that there's not enough difference from the original to the mutations so a vaccine will work better (100%) than with Flu vaccines! And in some parts of the world they're noticing new mutations that are not as easily transmitted and deadly. Keep smiling this will be over sooner than the doomsday prophets are saying.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 02:13 AM   #28
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive 20d

I totally agree with Xorbitman, this retrofit it's not worth - too expensive, too difficult and not so much benefits.
I also thought about, but after a study I abandoned it.

Better find other useful retrofits.

Stay safe and healthy.

Stefan
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      12-06-2020, 10:25 PM   #29
maaii11
Private
Rep
Drives: Mini F54

I finished ACC stop and go this project on my Mini F54.

https://www.minif56.com/threads/retr...76/post-839646

Last edited by maaii11; 12-06-2020 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 04:07 PM   #30
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smercki View Post
I have finish retrofit 5AD, 5AR, 5AT on my F48

Do you have any kind of walkthrough on how you wired the SAS module, or what you changed to the brakes?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #31
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smercki View Post
Quote:
Do you have any kind of walkthrough on how you wired the SAS module, or what you changed to the brakes?
if the car is born with park assistance abs sensors, and kombi are already preset, it is only necessary to install Sas, otherwise as in my case without PA I had to replace all 4 abs sensors wheel and kombi
I have Park assist, abs, etc. only thing I don't have is the SAS Module, I've seen them on eBay but have no idea how that would wire into the existing harness.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 02:16 AM   #32
SHKM8
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Hi MJE60, thank you for your continued service!

I'm planning on doing this retrofit, as I believe I have everything.

My car came with KAFAS, but also Park Assist and Adaptive Suspension, so I'm pretty sure I have the SAS Module already installed (will confirm via E-SYS, when I find a copy).

I'll be doing the coding first to see the ACC works, and then buying the steering wheel buttons later (w/ the distance change and TJA buttons - part#61317847654).

I had some questions:

- People on other forums have said to check whether the SAS is wired to the BDC. Surely it is in mine?

- I'll be changing 5AS->5AT, 544->5DF and adding 5AR (TJA) to the SALAPA Element. Will adding TJA cause any issues? Not sure if it was an option in Australia.

- Which ECUs do I code? As far as I know, I'm coding BDC, DSC, HU, KAFAS, Kombi, and SAS. Do I need to do code anything else due to TJA, like EPS?

Thank you once again - really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 12:46 AM   #33
SHKM8
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Update:

I got E-SYS and managed to VO code the car. I had BDC_BODY, DSC2, HU_ENTRYNAV, KAFAS2, KOMBI, and SAS.

Used ESYS V3.40.2 and PSdZData_Lite v.4.43.40.

First Attempt:
  • 5AS -> 5AT
  • 544 -> 5DF
  • Added 5AR

This resulted in an "Active Cruise Control Failure", so I made a new FA without Traffic Jam Assist (5AR), calculated and coded for the second time.

Second Attempt:
  • 5AS -> 5AT
  • 544 -> 5DF

This also resulted in an "Active Cruise Control Failure".

I rolled back to a backup FA that I saved, so the car is as it was before (no harm no foul).

Some of my theories:
1) HU_ENTRYNAV mightn't be compatible with ACC, might need professional?
2) There's additional ECUs I needed to code, like EPS?
3) I don't have the ACC buttons, which is raising errors. Though the users on the MINI forum did a similar piece of work and didn't have an issue with this. They just couldn't change distances.
4) There isn't a connection between KAFAS2 and SAS - not sure whether I have this, or if it's needed?

MJE60 and smercki what do you think?
Attached Images

Last edited by SHKM8; 10-21-2023 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: More theories
Appreciate 0