BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) EDC on UK BMW X1 (F48) THE TRUTH

03-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #23
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchlpeel View Post
The reason for not including it is because i'm not interested in using sport mode.

If it were to benefit comfort mode (which it doesn't) then it would be worthwhile.
Actually, it's worth test driving cars with, and without, before making that decision. Why? Because the ride/damping in a standard (non-EDC equipped) car is not the same as Comfort in a car fitted with EDC, which is slightly softer. BMW changed the springs/struts in EDC equipped X1s from Jan 2016 production, meaning EDC equipped cars are slightly more compliant in the Comfort setting than a standard car, which has spring/damping rates that compromise between Comfort and Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 12:52 AM   #24
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

That was my instinctive reaction - even if EDC is non-intelligent, there would be a chance that BMW would go for softer setting in the comfort mode than "one for all" in a non EDC car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 02:08 AM   #25
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I thought that was only on M Sport cars... hence why I asked what model line he was going for
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #26
geome
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 X LINE XDRIVE 20i

So to my way of thinking the standard suspension my be a better bet as the sport mode will be too hard the comfort mode too soft with the standard being set just right.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #27
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geome View Post
So to my way of thinking the standard suspension my be a better bet as the sport mode will be too hard the comfort mode too soft with the standard being set just right.
I think not. Besides, EDC is a cheap option.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 07:40 AM   #28
ralphclark
Registered
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Actually, it's worth test driving cars with, and without, before making that decision. Why? Because the ride/damping in a standard (non-EDC equipped) car is not the same as Comfort in a car fitted with EDC, which is slightly softer. BMW changed the springs/struts in EDC equipped X1s from Jan 2016 production, meaning EDC equipped cars are slightly more compliant in the Comfort setting than a standard car, which has spring/damping rates that compromise between Comfort and Sport.
That does seem to mean that you can't just have EDC retrofitted in the hope of improving the ride quality.

Unless the kit includes new struts and springs. In which case it wouldn't be a cheap upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #29
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

i Have to say after owning a x1 with edc for 4 years when used you could still sit in the car look at each other and ask " anyone notice any difference at all ? "

If i had to concentrate and try to notice minor changes then its not worth it.

Its cheap to buy i agree but further down the line will it be cheap to fix or replace.................
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #30
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphclark View Post
Quote:
That does seem to mean that you can't just have EDC retrofitted in the hope of improving the ride quality.

Unless the kit includes new struts and springs. In which case it wouldn't be a cheap upgrade.
There are alternative adjustable damping systems that can be fitted; some owners have done so, and you can probably read their experiences here. Probably (a LOT) cheaper than buying the OEM BMW parts as an after-thought! Any aftermarket solution will be substantially more expensive than ticking this option when you first order
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #31
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagm View Post
i Have to say after owning a x1 with edc for 4 years when used you could still sit in the car look at each other and ask " anyone notice any difference at all ? "

If i had to concentrate and try to notice minor changes then its not worth it.

Its cheap to buy i agree but further down the line will it be cheap to fix or replace.................
You probably won't notice much difference on a smooth, straight road. But it does sharpen things up — noticeably — on the twisties. Replacement dampers should not be too expensive — apart from the BMW tax. The system is at the simple end of variable damper technologies
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #32
Salvos
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2016 20d 2016 xdrive

EDC suspension fitted after purchase?

Quote:
There are alternative adjustable damping systems that can be fitted; some owners have done so, and you can probably read their experiences here. Probably (a LOT) cheaper than buying the OEM BMW parts as an after-thought! Any aftermarket solution will be substantially more expensive than ticking this option when you first order
Hi, and good to find you all here! I have just sold my old Q3 2014 quattro for an X1 xdrive 2016 (in Greece cars are much more expensive so I prefer to buy oldies but goodies). Anyway, I searched for a good forum (and company) like this and found you guys! My car was actually, but the manufucturing date is actually 2015, so no EDC or DDC. I am stirring this old thread again as I am exactly at the point where you left this. I want to add genuine EDC, as I am a little scared after the reviews on the rather harsh drive of X1! Is it possible? Will it cost half of my car? I have asked the local BMW here, but I don't particularly trust their knowledges. Thank you and good to find you!
Appreciate 0