BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Help requested re wheels etc

07-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
Daruma
Registered
Rep
Drives: None at the moment!

Help requested re wheels etc

Hi

Having driven a 5 series for years I’m now shifting to an X1 and am looking at buying a 3 year old 2.0d X drive, X line with 16,000 miles on the clock and a good price. It was a dealer launch model back in October 2015 and as such has a high spec.

I can’t test drive it for a couple of weeks when the current owner trades it in so right now I’m doing my research and the one thing that keeps coming up is the 19” wheels with RFTs.

Forgive what may be a silly question but, assuming I like everything about the car apart from the ride and the road noise, do I have realistic options to deal with wheels/tyres issue without causing problems elsewhere?

The spec is:
Glacier Silver
Black Dakota leather
Maintenance Service Pack (2 years left of a 5 years arrangement)
Sport Auto Transmission
BMW Navigation Plus package (Pro nav + HUD)
Driver comfort package
Technology package
19" Y Spoke 511 alloy wheels
Bike Rack Preparation
Sliding rear seat bench
Brushed aluminium trim
Panoramic glass sunroof
Sun Protection glass
Ext Mirrors folding, auto dimming
Sport Seats front

Thanks a million for any help and guidance you can offer me. And, of course, any other general thoughts would be appreciated too!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
Hi

Having driven a 5 series for years I’m now shifting to an X1 and am looking at buying a 3 year old 2.0d X drive, X line with 16,000 miles on the clock and a good price. It was a dealer launch model back in October 2015 and as such has a high spec.

I can’t test drive it for a couple of weeks when the current owner trades it in so right now I’m doing my research and the one thing that keeps coming up is the 19” wheels with RFTs.

Forgive what may be a silly question but, assuming I like everything about the car apart from the ride and the road noise, do I have realistic options to deal with wheels/tyres issue without causing problems elsewhere?

The spec is:
Glacier Silver
Black Dakota leather
Maintenance Service Pack (2 years left of a 5 years arrangement)
Sport Auto Transmission
BMW Navigation Plus package (Pro nav + HUD)
Driver comfort package
Technology package
19" Y Spoke 511 alloy wheels
Bike Rack Preparation
Sliding rear seat bench
Brushed aluminium trim
Panoramic glass sunroof
Sun Protection glass
Ext Mirrors folding, auto dimming
Sport Seats front

Thanks a million for any help and guidance you can offer me. And, of course, any other general thoughts would be appreciated too!
If you like the spec...change the wheels/tires...I opted out of RFT they are a marketing BS ploy IMO...they don't really "run flat"....if you read the tire makers specs you can only "run flat" for 50 miles! So what happens on a Sunday drive when you have a flat 150 miles from home?...Happened to me on my first drive in my 328...pushed the "BMW assist " button and they offered to to tow me to the nearest dealer..where I'd have to wait till Monday morning to get it fixed...hello..work calls...Lucky 4 me..I read about RFT specs and bought a spare/jack kit ASAP..slapped that spare on and drove 75 miles or so to the nearest open tire shop...then home!
In addition, the RFT's wear quickly and are stiff and noisy...great combination for the perfect tire choice...
Dump the RFT tires and enjoy the X1...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 04:19 AM   #3
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Just buy it, drive it and assess how you feel about the ride. You can easily change the tyres/wheels with no issues at all. They don’t need to be OEM BMW either. Any decent wheel shop will be able to advise you on what will fit.

I have a F48 20i M Sport with 19” RFT’s and the ride is firm but acceptable for us. It’s smoother than the F10 30d M Sport with 20” RFT’s that I recently sold...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 05:22 AM   #4
Daruma
Registered
Rep
Drives: None at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Just buy it, drive it and assess how you feel about the ride. You can easily change the tyres/wheels with no issues at all. They don’t need to be OEM BMW either. Any decent wheel shop will be able to advise you on what will fit.

I have a F48 20i M Sport with 19” RFT’s and the ride is firm but acceptable for us. It’s smoother than the F10 30d M Sport with 20” RFT’s that I recently sold...
Thanks so much! That’s reassuring.
Cheers
Tom
Appreciate 0