BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Windscreen Spray

01-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
immy786r123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Windscreen Spray

I am fed up of the crap spray which sprays all the way to to the top left of the windscreen where the wipers dont reach. This leads it to dry and leave a residue. Annoying when u wash car and on motorways its the worst.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
roozybeh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 BMW X1 x-drive

With you on that! super annoying.

I managed to semi adjust the nozzle to spray lower. You need a Hex screw driver, open the hood/bonnet and adjust the nozzle to spray lower. I wished you could adjust the horizontal direction as well as the vertical one.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozybeh View Post
With you on that! super annoying.

I managed to semi adjust the nozzle to spray lower. You need a Hex screw driver, open the hood/bonnet and adjust the nozzle to spray lower. I wished you could adjust the horizontal direction as well as the vertical one.
The screw on the spray unit is said to adjust the left/right direction fo teh spray
      01-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
KansasWaldo
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive28i

Garage List
Aquapel glass treatment works great with keeping the windshield clean. Any liquid that is not picked up by the wipers typically flies right off at speeds greater than 50 MPH. I've also noticed that dirt accumulation is much lower as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
oreoOozZz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM X3MC

Agreed.

Just did this a few minutes ago and this is why I hate doing it if the car is clean or anything close.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 04:57 AM   #6
TygerBright
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d Sport

Any UK owners recommend a similar product to reduce sticky rain and grime on the windscreen - I have a few long journeys coming up and the weather has just turned south! Aquapel seems to be US based only?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 05:34 AM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerBright View Post
Any UK owners recommend a similar product to reduce sticky rain and grime on the windscreen - I have a few long journeys coming up and the weather has just turned south! Aquapel seems to be US based only?
No, its available in many countries around the world.
Amazon US also ships it many places.

You can get it at BMW (for a bit of a markup) part number "83 19 9 415 467"
listed at 22 Euro, but includes a specially infused cleaning cloth used before you treat the windscreen

Here is a UK place advertising it at 7 pounds something
http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/e...rch&db_manid=9
      01-13-2017, 05:39 AM   #8
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerBright View Post
My residential parking is a large multi-story underground car park with +100 cars. I also do a lot of motorway driving. So, lots of grime and spray. Haven't tried anything on the X1. But bought Aquapel and Rain X for my previous car. They work for a couple of days, a week max, and then it's back to norm. Kind of a waste of time/money.

Aquapel has a weird contraption that helps you spread it on the glass evenly. Rain X comes in just a regular bottle and you'd need a cloth. I bought mine off eBay UK (US seller). About £5 including p&p. Can't remember if it was one or two packs.

Final verdict: If you have your own small parking space and do mostly city driving, they're worth a try. If you park in a large car park or do a lot of motorway driving, don't bother.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 06:18 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
But bought Aquapel and Rain X for my previous car. They work for a couple of days, a week max, and then it's back to norm. Kind of a waste of time/money.
I would agree with RainX, but Aquapel when applied properly is supposed to last 12 Months.
Ive tested heavily used cars after 18 months and they still repel water.

The windscreen needs to be super clean when applying.
I also would not apply it if teh screen has had RainX on it within the last few weeks as it would most probably prevent the Aquapel chemical bonding process.

Thats one place the BMW sold kit does help, since it comes with a cleaning cloth with a special solution that really cleans absolutely everything off the glass before you apply the product.