BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Battery: 48 or 94? H6 or H7?

04-04-2023, 01:47 PM   #1
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Battery: 48 or 94? H6 or H7?

This morning I found my 2018 X2 s28i not willing to start. Battery discharge warnings, among others. Having a battery live for just short of 7 years is nothing less than magic for me so I'm going to replace this one.

Costco will sell me a battery for about $185. The catch is that the guy there says there's no point in looking it up because it could be either H6 or H7 despite what his books say. He swears there's a sticker on the door that'll tell me which one to get. I don't remember any battery type decals on the door but ok...

I get home to find my memory was right, there's no battery type decal. Nothing under the hood either. I pulled all the covers off the batter and found the part number was

S: 61219381775
AW : 61217555718

No groups are shown, all I know is its an 80/800 AGM.

I looked in the manual on pg. 280 where the battery info is supposed to be, it states "go to the dealer". Thanks BMW!

So what should I tell the guy at Costco?
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 03:24 PM   #2
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

You're rolling the dice with an aftermarket battery. H6 and H7 are physical sizes, you'd have to measure yours to see if it's one of them. There are dozens of possibilities, but yeah H6 and H7 are pretty common. The battery size can vary depending on what equipment is installed - for example premium sound usually has a larger/higher capacity cell. There's also "F" and "R" for which end the ground terminal is toward. Here's a table: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/...ery-size-chart

AGM means it's an Absorbent Glass Mat deep-discharge type. Don't get a conventional.

80/800 is the AH Amp Hour / CCA Cold Cranking Amperage rating. You'll want a similar capacity.

Finally, you need to reset the charging circuit and reprogram it for the new battery. BMW-specific handheld diagnostic devices can do this, and so can some apps if you have the dongle to connect them to your car.

Still want to do this?

Last edited by //TMT; 04-04-2023 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 03:59 PM   #3
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TMT View Post
You're rolling the dice with an aftermarket battery.
Yet many of the guys in the E90 Post use Interstate, Autozone Gold, or Diehard batteries. They have just as good of results as those who put in OEM or Braille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TMT View Post
Still want to do this?
A battery install is going to be tough, but I think I can struggle through it.

Is there a way to tell what battery I need to buy based on the two part numbers that are printed on the top of the battery?
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 08:05 AM   #4
Rich807
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2

I generally split the difference on my German cars. I buy an OEM battery & put it in myself. What dealerships charge for this work (labor) is criminal IMO.

We can debate whether 'coding' / 'programming' is B.S. or not. I tend to believe, based on my experience, it's 95% B.S. But, since I always have a programmer in my stable anyway, I just go ahead & 'code' new batteries once I put them in. Buying something like BimmerCode/Link, ODBEleven (for VW/Audi stuff) etc, is so worth the little money they cost, having them is a complete no-brainer.

I haven't done a battery in an X2 but it looks like a little more PITA than what it should be (getting to the battery so you can physically swap it), but changing a battery out is a extremely low-tech process. If you have a normal set of tools & some time I'd do it myself. If you don't have those I'd find someone in my area that works on cars on the side (like folks from your local BMW community i.e. club etc), or failing that, I'd pay an indy shop to do the work. That's just me though.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 08:08 AM   #5
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich807 View Post
I haven't done a battery in an X2 but it looks like a little more PITA than what it should be (getting to the battery so you can physically swap it), but changing a battery out is a extremely low-tech process. If you have a normal set of tools & some time I'd do it myself. If you don't have those I'd find someone in my area that works on cars on the side (like folks from your local BMW community i.e. club etc), or failing that, I'd pay an indy shop to do the work. That's just me though.
I've pulled all the concealment panels and the airbox, I just need to loosen the connections and the battery retaining bolt, and I can pull it out.

I'm not looking for help with any of that, obviously. I need to know which battery I have so I know which battery to order at Costco.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 02:40 PM   #6
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Ok, if you're up for it, go for it. I totally agree aftermarket batteries can be high quality. Just don't know if Costco sells those. Batteries can be like mattresses - corners can get cut and totally hidden.

I think resetting the charge circuit is important because it does learn the battery conditions, which will change especially with a non-OEM replacement. OTOH, nothing super-bad will happen if you don't. You just might not get full charge performance.

I don't think the numbers on the OEM cell will help with the physical sizing. I looked previously and saw nothing on mine. And it's a pain to get it out, but I think that's what you'll have to do. Especially because yours is a 2018, in addition to whatever options, etc. Other cars may be different.

One advantage of getting it out is you can drag it to where you're buying and put them side by side. And of course, get the core refund right there.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 09:33 PM   #7
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

BMW batteries were rebranded Exide back in the day (my e60) and I've heard/seen other brands named. I actually scraped some stickers etc on my old battery once and did see an exide "brand" in the plastic molding.

So yeah, go ahead and get an exact replicate AGM battery. There are some X2's that did come with the regular battery. Sorry I can't help you out in deciphering other than googling part numbers which lead me to a ton of UK sites that show compatible batteries.

I would also personally code the new battery if possible.. but in any short time it's no big deal. Will your battery last as long? Probably not, as the "reprogramming" does tell it that it's a new battery and to change the charge cycles etc. I'm told that if you don't program it, then your battery life is probably going to be cut short at around 3 years.. I did do it on my e60 and it lasted maybe 4 but was still starting to fail so I had to do it again. IF you have the means I would buy the dongle and get some software. I certainly would not get hosed at the dealer which routinely charges $500-$600 for the install and programming. Ie upwards of $200++ just for that labor and programming.. eesh!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 07:30 AM   #8
mDrive1
Rep
Drives: X1

Hi Freiheit, have you figured out the battery size? I'm also up to replacement. was thinking to order both from Costco..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 09:35 AM   #9
mDrive1
Rep

Just want to confirm that I replaced the original battery with H7 Energizer from Costco without any issues. Cheers.
Appreciate 3
dchin13.50
Rich80766.00
      01-22-2024, 02:26 PM   #10
dchin
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1; 2019 BMW X3

Will change battery in BMW F48 affect any computer memory lost

Hi mDriver or anyone,
I am very new in this forum. I have a 2016 BMW X1 need to change the battery after 8 year. I also got a BimmerLink software did read my battery is 80AH. Thanks for all the info in the forum. I likely go to nearby Costco to get the Energizer H7 80AH like you did. However, may I ask do you need to keep any 12V source connect somewhere to keep computer memory alive while you swap the battery out? Will any info be lost or car not able to start if you didn't?

Many thx.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 10:32 AM   #11
mDrive1
Rep

I did not, and no issues noticed, but don't remember about the radio presets though.
Appreciate 1
dchin13.50
      02-16-2024, 08:17 AM   #12
Rich807
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2

Can 1 of you guys that purchased an aftermarket battery from Costco post up a link, item # etc of what you ended up buying/using?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:18 PM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Have any of you buying the aftermarket battery from Costco or others...ever called your local BMW dealership's parts department to get a price quote for the original BMW battery rated at whatever AH (amp hour rating) is printed on your Battery?

You may be surprised that they sell a BMW battery at a comparable price...and you won't have to worry about CODING any change in battery size or capacity...and then registering the new battery.

Remember that if you change the size or type of battery...that needs to be coded so that the charging system knows. Then once the battery has been coded, then you register the new battery to start a new baseline. If you replace the battery with like kind & size...then all you need to do is register the new battery.

FYI...an 80AH battery is usually a 94R/H7 battery class size. You can see the East Penn battery chart below that shows the various battery class sizes:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
//TMT128.50
dchin13.50
      02-18-2024, 05:34 PM   #14
dchin
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1; 2019 BMW X3

Costco in US and Canada are little different. However, that’s what I replace with. It has been a month running excellent in winter.

https://tires.costco.ca/Batteries/Pr...ive&lang=en-ca

Interesting, the battery is made in Germany! I simply register the replacement in BimmerLink without recode since I use the same 80AH AMG.
Appreciate 1
Rich80766.00