BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Roof rack for 2018 X2 no roof rails

02-04-2024, 02:10 PM   #1
trebels
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Roof rack for 2018 X2 no roof rails

Hi All!

Anyone have experience with roof rack for a 2018 BMW X2 with no roof rails?

Curious to see what people have before I invest some money.

Thanks ! 🙏
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 05:25 PM   #2
shadows
Rep
Drives: x2 m35i

I asked the dealer about that when I got mine a few years ago. With the flush roof there are limited options. You do not want to drill through the roof and create leaks.

Alternatively you could do a retro fit tow-hitch and mount bikes and things to that, but you need to drill through the rear fire wall (there was someone on the forums here who successfully did it)

The least invasive option is for a rack that works with "naked" roofs". Yakima and Thule are your best options.

I am not sure if these would rub on the paint or how they would work when you open and close the door. But I have seen these options on many cars driving around.

Definitely do more research about how these actually work. You will also need to consider the trunk opening clearance if you mount something long.

https://yakima.com/collections/roof-rack-systems

https://www.thule.com/en-us/
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 08:50 AM   #3
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

There's a mounting rail beneath those two long strips at the left and right sides of the roof panel, it's not necessary to drill. Of course you need to choose a system that mounts to those rails. But basically you will cut the strips and reinstall them around the mounting points.

I'd certainly suggest a dealer or body shop, if you're at all concerned.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 02:41 PM   #4
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows View Post
I asked the dealer about that when I got mine a few years ago. With the flush roof there are limited options. You do not want to drill through the roof and create leaks.

Alternatively you could do a retro fit tow-hitch and mount bikes and things to that, but you need to drill through the rear fire wall (there was someone on the forums here who successfully did it)

The least invasive option is for a rack that works with "naked" roofs". Yakima and Thule are your best options.

I am not sure if these would rub on the paint or how they would work when you open and close the door. But I have seen these options on many cars driving around.

Definitely do more research about how these actually work. You will also need to consider the trunk opening clearance if you mount something long.

https://yakima.com/collections/roof-rack-systems

https://www.thule.com/en-us/
I did that retrofit towing hitch om X1 which is very similiar, yes you need to drill through the firewall but it’s actually quite easy and you get a good seal if you buy the Orginal BMW retrofit kit
Appreciate 1