BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Another hidden feature?

02-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

Another hidden feature?

We are in Switzerland having driven down through some atrocious weather. Whilst the car still has failed to note the new 80kph limit on ordinary roads in France, it can distinguish the change of compulsory speed limits on motorways. Normally the French motorway limit is 130 kph. When raining, it’s a 110 kph. We noticed that when the rain started, the HUD changed the limit from 130kph to 110 kph. When the rain stopped, after about 2 minutes the HUD reverted to 130kph. And it did not appear linked to the use of the wipers.
Interestingly I got an in car SatNav update about 2 weeks ago. And for those that might interested in economy, we achieved 40.5 mpg cruising at the above speeds into a strong headwind fully loaded. Not bad for a 2 litre petrol 4 wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 05:50 AM   #2
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
We are in Switzerland having driven down through some atrocious weather. Whilst the car still has failed to note the new 80kph limit on ordinary roads in France, it can distinguish the change of compulsory speed limits on motorways. Normally the French motorway limit is 130 kph. When raining, it’s a 110 kph. We noticed that when the rain started, the HUD changed the limit from 130kph to 110 kph. When the rain stopped, after about 2 minutes the HUD reverted to 130kph. And it did not appear linked to the use of the wipers.
The X1 Drivers Guide (on my iPad) states, re Speed Limit info:
'The camera in the area of the interior rear-view mirror detects traffic signs at the edge of roads as well as variable overhead signs. Traffic signs with additional symbols, for example wet conditions, are also detected, compared with internal vehicle data, and displayed depending on the situation.
If a navigation system is installed, the system considers the information saved in the navigation data and also displays the speed limits present on unmarked sections of road.'

Your average fuel consumption looks very good too. I may look at going up from the 1.5 Litre 3 cylinder engine to the 2.0 Litre version, simply to reduce any engine stress if I look to keep a replacement for a longer period of time than my 'normal' 3 years. On a run, I can easily achieve upper 40s (UK galls) mpg and my overall consumption for all types of driving/conditions over 22k miles is exactly 40.00 mpg.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 06:46 AM   #3
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

I find fuel use is very dependant on the use of the car , mine has averaged 36.8 over 27,000 miles but individual tanks have varied from 30.90 to 42.80mpg. Really does depend upon use.

My fun car (BMW Z3 . 2.2) hardly varies from 31.00mpg , but is only used for fun, normally top off motoring.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
raymitch1326
Private
Rep
Drives: sDrive2.0iSport LCI ordered

I have obtained 38.6 mpg average over the first 5,000 miles since new end of August. Log purchases, miles etc, bit geekish , I know. Mine is 2.0i S Drive Sport rather disappointing I think. Esp. when I compare with my previous X Drive 2.0D at 46.1 mpg over 42k miles. maybe should have bought diesel but with all the anti publicity, decided to go for petrol...but look where we are now....all electric...soon..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymitch1326 View Post
I have obtained 38.6 mpg average over the first 5,000 miles since new end of August. Log purchases, miles etc, bit geekish , I know. Mine is 2.0i S Drive Sport rather disappointing I think. Esp. when I compare with my previous X Drive 2.0D at 46.1 mpg over 42k miles. maybe should have bought diesel but with all the anti publicity, decided to go for petrol...but look where we are now....all electric...soon..
I’ll be waiting for Hydrogen Fuel Cell, those scalectrix cars will never catch on.