BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Hello Everyone New X1 Owner here.

04-25-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
DarthRadonis
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 28i Msport package

Hello Everyone New X1 Owner here.

Well its Not a brand new X1 but a new to me one. Its a 2017 Estorial Blue metallic X1 Xdrive 28i with the Msport package so it has the Msport wheels and blackout chrome trim pieces on the outside. It has 39k miles on it and i am enjoying it very much nothing really rides and drives like a BMW just something about them. I do have a few questions for the owners since this is my first BMW how is the maintenance on these? I do plan on doing only BMW server center oil changes and other regular by the owner manual services. Since i am kinda inept when it comes to DIY anything on a car.

Also anyone have the Floating Logos for the wheels? Do they work ok? Why does one tailpipe seem to accumulate more black soot than the other? And since i plan on keeping this for awhile anyone ceramic coat theirs and how long does it hold up and is it work the $600 to $900 that a professional detail shop charges to apply it? Also did it take long to get use to the Idrive infotainment knob?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
lilstevie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRadonis View Post
Why does one tailpipe seem to accumulate more black soot than the other?
I'm not 100% sure with the X1 as ours only has a single tip as its the 3-pot, but I believe there's a valve that keeps one closed until it warms up at idle before opening, and in eco/comfort will close it again while driving unless you push it. Only in Sport mode will it remain open.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Welcome to the forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
DarthRadonis
Rep

Thanks i hope to learn a bit while i am here
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:51 AM   #5
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRadonis View Post
Why does one tailpipe seem to accumulate more black soot than the other? And since i plan on keeping this for awhile anyone ceramic coat theirs and how long does it hold up and is it work the $600 to $900 that a professional detail shop charges to apply it? Also did it take long to get use to the Idrive infotainment knob?
Almost all two-pipe-exhausts on the BMW only open the second pipe if necessary or when your drive in sport mode. I believe it can be coded to be open all the time. When the second pipe is open the exhaust will be a bit louder.

Regarding the ceramic coating mine was delivered with it (unknown brand) and I am not impressed. I do detailing myself and consider myself to do a decent job. My wife has a F22 in the same colour as mine and she asked me if we should give her car a treatment as well before I got mine delivered but since we got it I couldn’t really see any difference between my treatment with normal wax and the professional treatment.

Learning iDrive is pretty fast. One recommendation though is to make use of the eight quick keys. Once you find a menu that you often access. Fx a certain radio station or the board computer you hold down the quick key you want to assign this function to. I have one for GPS find home, USB Music, favorite radio station, car info, board computer, sports display and two unassigned (yet).
      04-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
DarthRadonis
Rep

That is interesting that only one pipe is open for normal driving and both open in sport mode. I did check the owners manual about the Idrive knob and quick buttons i just set my radio stations to them as i found the Nav system not as good as my phone. Tried to take me some weird routes that i know are longer and not as quick.

I am more interested in the ceramic coating for the longer lasting paint protection and easy hand washing since i am kinda lazy about hand washing a car i am not into the whole wax and polish detail your own car for enjoyment. I have watched a few videos on YT about it and not sure if spending 700 bucks for 2 years of protection is worth it. Might just get a local shop to do a nice detail job for 250 to 300 and get that done every year.
Appreciate 0