BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW Wheel alignment $600 (lane departure)

08-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #1
derek.megyesi
M-Experienced
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50e AWD SUV

Garage List
BMW Wheel alignment $600 (lane departure)

Hi all,

I had to get new tires on my X1 the other day, which involved getting a wheel alignment done. I found a local garage (non-BMW) that did it for $130 (CA). However, as we were talking the service manager said that the new BMWs now have Lane Departure as standard (where the steering wheel vibrates if you drift out of your driving lane).

The service manager said that BMWs (all models) that have this feature will run about $600 for a wheel alignment and involve 4 techs (one for each tire). Apparently this is quite a technical job.

I am smelling #$%^ from this guy as just a money grab, but I wanted to run it by you folks. Is this true? I looked at the BMW Canadian site, and it does seem that all new 2021 models have lane departure warnings as standard equipment.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
Sphinx144
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

My E class has the lane departure warning. It is controlled by cameras and I've never had anyone tell me anything about it when doing wheel alignment. You should check with your local bmw dealer
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #3
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

While I wouldn’t put it past BMW to design such nonsense, I can’t think of a reason why the LDS would be linked to your alignment.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:47 AM   #4
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek.megyesi View Post
Hi all,

I had to get new tires on my X1 the other day, which involved getting a wheel alignment done. I found a local garage (non-BMW) that did it for $130 (CA). However, as we were talking the service manager said that the new BMWs now have Lane Departure as standard (where the steering wheel vibrates if you drift out of your driving lane).

The service manager said that BMWs (all models) that have this feature will run about $600 for a wheel alignment and involve 4 techs (one for each tire). Apparently this is quite a technical job.

I am smelling #$%^ from this guy as just a money grab, but I wanted to run it by you folks. Is this true? I looked at the BMW Canadian site, and it does seem that all new 2021 models have lane departure warnings as standard equipment.

Thoughts?
My understanding is that the lane departure warning is software driven using the KAFAS camera. Vibration felt in the steering wheel is created by a small vibrating motor in the steering wheel which is driven from power routed through the airbag module. The X1 (f48) has a more primitive (single lens) KAFAS than say X3. It is possible that for higher range vehicles ,where there are Multiple and more sophisticated safety functions, wheel orientation in closely monitored and needs additional calibration during balancing and alignment.

Having read the specs for lane departure warning in the X1, I see no evidence that wheel balancing and alignment require more work than for an X1 without this option.

It is however possible that other options such as parking assist, city driving etc In the X1 need sophisticated monitoring of wheel position and therefore additional calibration during alignment. I would be very interested if there is a BMW technical expert who can answer in detail.
Appreciate 0