BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Apple Car Play now in connected drive store

03-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
junior88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1

Apple Car Play now in connected drive store

Hey everyone,

I saw that Apple Car Play is now available in the connected drive store for me as of this morning. I have a 2018 X1, previously this option was not available. I tried to download it but got an error, has anyone else tried? How are things going?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote from Connected Drive Store
'The Apple CarPlay® Preparation enables an iPhone® to be used wirelessly, conveniently and safely via the user interface in the vehicle. Smartphone contents and functions such as music, iMessages/SMS, telephony, SIRI and selected third-party apps can thus be displayed and operated in the customary manner via the user interface in the vehicle.
The benefits at a glance:
Convenient, wireless operation of a compatible iPhone® during the journey
Use of smartphone functions via the user interface of the vehicle while complying with traffic regulations.'

Note: Only available in connection with BMW Navigation Professional (609).

So, it seems to exclude those with the standard (smaller) iDrive screen, as is fitted to my new X1 when I collect it tomorrow.
Or have I got it wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
junior88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Interesting, my car is fitted with the Navigation Business package. I'm going to try to do the download directly from the car instead of from my desktop when I get a chance to step out of work.

The interesting piece to me though is that last week this wasn't an option for me to get from the connected drive store and today it is so it's either a bug surfacing on the Nav Business models, or an update that expanded into them.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #4
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

How much?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
junior88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
How much?
$300
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #6
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior88 View Post
$300
You are going to waste $300.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      03-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
junior88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
You are going to waste $300.
Thanks captain!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
junior88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quick update here. I called BMW Assist to talk about the error preventing Car Play from deploying on my car last Tuesday, they said they'd get working on it and Saturday morning when I went out to the car the feature was now available. I spent the weekend traveling around and getting used to the interface and its definitely has some major advantages over the BMW iDrive system.

First major advantage is the ability to use Apple Maps on the full display with all of the bells and whistles it comes with. For one, I personally really like that this gives me advanced lane guidance whereas BMW maps did not, but also I find that the traffic and routing mechanism on Apple Maps is more reliable (not quite what you get with Waze or Google Maps, but better than BMW). For example - BMW told me a 300 mile trip was going to take 2 hours longer than Apple predicted in a trip I made two weeks ago, after completing the trip with both nav systems running side by side, Apple clearly provided the superior route as I arrived within minutes of the original prediction.

The other major advantage of using Car Play is if you use Apple Music, you can now navigate your music, playlists, radio stations all from the iDrive screen, where as before you could just toggle to the next song using iDrive to control your Apple Music library.

You will also get a better spotify, pandora, audible, and audibooks interface using Car Play.

One major disadvantage I noticed in my trip yesterday is that Music is really the only app that can run in the background while you try to multitask. For example, if you start navigation with Apple Maps, it displays on your iDrive screen immediately, now if you go to open your phone and swipe out of the maps app, the map comes down from the iDrive screen. So whether you are at a red light and want to check messages or you want to pull up Waze to check traffic that way, doing so will pull the map off of your iDrive screen.

Of course, you can always jump right back to the iDrive interface by hitting the menu button on your controls. Any music playing from your phone will still continue to play when you jump back, so no real issues there and status quo remains.

A few pics of what the interface looks like are below, if anyone has any questions I'm happy to help work through them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #9
greengrover
Rep
Drives: X1

Hi junior88, just wondering if your car has wireless charging? I'm looking at adding Apple CarPlay to an X1 and one of the sales guys told me you can only add it to a car that has wireless charging. Is this the case with yours? The X1 in question has premium package so Navigation Professional.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:03 PM   #10
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrover View Post
Hi junior88, just wondering if your car has wireless charging? I'm looking at adding Apple CarPlay to an X1 and one of the sales guys told me you can only add it to a car that has wireless charging. Is this the case with yours? The X1 in question has premium package so Navigation Professional.
6CP only requires Navigation (be 6UN or 6UP) and either the Convenience Package or the M-Sport. Which means that you can order CarPlay from the ConnectedDrive portal as long as you have met those requirements. No need for wireless charging/hotspot as the Nav OEM HU has its own WiFi transceiver.

There is no Professional Nav in the USA F48 X1, by the way. Only Business and Business Plus.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
junior88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
6CP only requires Navigation (be 6UN or 6UP) and either the Convenience Package or the M-Sport. Which means that you can order CarPlay from the ConnectedDrive portal as long as you have met those requirements. No need for wireless charging/hotspot as the Nav OEM HU has its own WiFi transceiver.

There is no Professional Nav in the USA F48 X1, by the way. Only Business and Business Plus.
This is correct, I do not have wireless charging, Only the Navigation and Convenience packages. My sales rep told me the same, that only the models with wireless charging would support CarPlay, and this seemed to be true for the first two months of me having the car. It wasn't until the time of the original post did the car play connectivity show up as an option for me to download through the connected drive store.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #12
EJuri
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 25i

Hi Junior88: quick question: How did you add the VIN to your profile? Did the dealer do it for you? Is not accepting mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #13
junior88
Enlisted Member
Rep

I didn't need the dealer to do it for me, but I do remember it taking a couple of tries to stick. I apologize as I do not recall the exact steps to link the VIN though.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 08:10 AM   #14
EJuri
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 25i

Thanks! Will keep trying!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #15
crimv
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 2018

Hi any update on this thread? I just got my X1 and have exact same smaller IDrive Screen size ( touch screen ) but found out the apple carplay is not available in my connecteddrive list.

I checked through my car detail via BMW VIN and found out that i do have the 6UN Navigation .
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #16
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
This option could vary by country

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 03:52 AM   #17
crimv
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
This option could vary by country
Even we have the same HU and Idrive version?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #18
vdotn
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:

Do you know if you need to have this in your build in order to be able to get it:
S6CPA Preparation Apple CarPlay
?

I'm supposed to pick up an X1 w/ convenience + premium in the next week, but was told that CarPlay CANNOT be added to it, only if it has wireless charging as you stated.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #19
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdotn View Post
Do you know if you need to have this in your build in order to be able to get it:
S6CPA Preparation Apple CarPlay
?

I'm supposed to pick up an X1 w/ convenience + premium in the next week, but was told that CarPlay CANNOT be added to it, only if it has wireless charging as you stated.
6CP = S6CPA
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #20
Jaydzin
black widow
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 228i Xdrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
I just picked my new X1 up and do t see the CarPlay option in my connected drive menu. Any help would be awesome
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #21
junior88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydzin View Post
I just picked my new X1 up and do t see the CarPlay option in my connected drive menu. Any help would be awesome
Nice, Congrats! Mine showed up after about 3 weeks of getting my Connected Drive account all setup directly in the Connected Drive store. I'm not sure if the timing was scheduled or just when the release happened, I think this was March/April. It was sitting there as an app available for purchase ($300).

It was also available to view and add to my vehicle when logging in online to my Connected Drive account through BMW Financial Services.

Not exactly sure what the hardware package requirements are but I only have the "Navigation Business" (not premium) display.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #22
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior88 View Post
Nice, Congrats! Mine showed up after about 3 weeks of getting my Connected Drive account all setup directly in the Connected Drive store. I'm not sure if the timing was scheduled or just when the release happened, I think this was March/April. It was sitting there as an app available for purchase ($300).

It was also available to view and add to my vehicle when logging in online to my Connected Drive account through BMW Financial Services.

Not exactly sure what the hardware package requirements are but I only have the "Navigation Business" (not premium) display.

I have 2017 X1 with Navigation Business package. where did you exactly download or purchase CarPlay, I can't find it on BMW Connected Apps in my iPhone App, BMW Connected Drive Store and BMW Online Apps in the car.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0