BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Trade my M340i for an M3 or a Lexus IS 500 F sport?

11-03-2022, 08:21 PM   #45
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Why 2 sedans? Have 1 sedan & a fun vert or another fun coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 01:03 PM   #46
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
I think, at least from the reviews that I’ve read, that the “dated-ness” of the engine is actually it’s charm. Less nannies, pure RWD, and a high displacement V8 that’s not coming back again.

Don’t get me wrong, I like tech in a car up to a point. But I’m not as into it as some people are. Tech is here to serve me, not to be my master. I prefer cars where tech remain humbly in the background, so I don’t mind if the tech is dated. But a slow transmission is indeed a problem, I’ve seen others note that as well
Less nannies? You had to do a pedal dance to even disable TC what are you talking about?

This is a toyota after all

Edit:

I was serious. You have to do this every single time
      11-05-2022, 06:32 AM   #47
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Yeah, I think I'm kind of past the IS500 when I think about it further (and I commented to that effect further up). But now the M550i has me interested. Again, another car that's hard to find a 2021 or newer, low mileage model.

Interesting that you say you like the sound of the inline 6 over the V8. I guess BMW V8's don't sound that bad ass, but V8's in other cars can certainly raise the hairs on the back of one's neck....
Full disclosure, I am a 100% 90s era JDM fanboy. Single turbo I6 is probably my favorite sounding engine of all time, especially RB26. It's just so harmonic and angry sounding. I enjoy V8s as much as the next person, but I hear them all the time around me so I tend to not care as much about them. Says the guy with a V8 R8 haha, oops.

But I like the IS 500 for many reasons, and the 5.0 N/A V8 is just one of them. I love the design, the fact that it's Japanese and nobody else is doing it at the price point, and it's a solid upgrade to my current STI with no third pedal. My clutch knee is starting to get some discomforting tingles, and my R8 is already manual, so I'm looking for something automatic from now on to save whatever I have left in it. I am a manual purist, but my knee comes first

TT V8s have no character to me, they're just stupid fast. I've driven my neighbor's AMG GT-C and while it's bonkers, meh, I like my R8 better. The exhaust has no personality. Most TT V8s I've heard tend to sound the same way. I'll sacrifice speed for ASMR tingles while running through the revs. I'm not looking to be the fastest on the block anymore, just want to really enjoy the drive.
You and me both on the 90's JDM. Best times ever. I am currently on the look out for a decent R-34 to import. I want to grab it in the next 6-8 months so I can start the build process. Then when it becomes legal, I will have a bad ass little car. Which no one else will have. Well, not anyone but you know what I mean:-) I got my brother into the RS6 so he can grab that🤣. That should hold me over for a bit. 2 Japanese: 1300 AWHP GTR & 850-900HP R-34
1 Italian 458 and a German Wagon. If I ever get an allocation for a Z06 that will cover the American side along with the F-150 plain Jane work truck. If I hit the Powerball tonight I will be giving my cars away. First come first serve🤑
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 03:38 PM   #48
DB_Cooper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87

Trade my M340i for an M3 or a Lexus IS 500 F sport?

How're you using the car?? Track or no track? I assume it's a daily driver since you're replacing an M340i.

Hard to go wrong with a MT M3. Looks goofy but still the best sports sedan option out there.

If you want a Lexus F car, I'd recommend a GSF over the IS500. You get a proper Torque vectoring diff, better brakes, better interior, and dynamically its a true F car.

Another Lexus option is a LC. That's actually a very special car IMO. Looks better than any other car out there currently, esp at the $100k price point.

Ultimately drive them all and see which one you like the best. All these cars are unnecessarily fast, so I'd put a greater emphasis on which car "just feels right"
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 08:02 PM   #49
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

I’d advise against getting the IS500, it is a compromised product and this is coming from a longtime Lexus fan and I currently have a 2021 IS350 F-Sport. If you care about driving dynamics you will be disappointed with the IS500. Toyota basically made the IS500 in a rush due to the overwhelming demand from the US for an IS-F successor. What they got was just a regular IS350 F-Sport with dynamic handling package with the 5.0L V8 stuffed inside and upsized front brakes from a GS350 F-Sport, literally nothing else was done to it. It drives exactly like an IS350 with a V8, that’s it. An imbalance for sure and not a true F car. Also, the 8-speed auto is extremely dated compared to the ZF 8-speed and it’s tuned for smoothness NOT sportiness. Your m340i is faster from a dig and probably handles better than the IS500.

Last edited by Coconut; 11-05-2022 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0