BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos nissan g t...r you serious

07-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #67
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
And it's ok to shell out a 80+K for a rebadged Toyota!? Mind you the new LF-A is going to be priced as much as an SL65 AMG.
i think u guys are just being too ridiculous about this. ur giving 0 credit to a lot of engineering effort right there. theres a bunch of people sitting there working on this day and night and they're producing some sick cars and u guys are coming up with this ignorant crap
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 07:32 PM   #68
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
i think u guys are just being too ridiculous about this. ur giving 0 credit to a lot of engineering effort right there. theres a bunch of people sitting there working on this day and night and they're producing some sick cars and u guys are coming up with this ignorant crap
Dude, you totally jumped the gun and misunderstood my post.

I'm saying that the GT-R is a sick machine. In fact, I'm considering giving the 335xi to the wife and get a GT-R next year. My problem is: People think that it's ok to buy an 80+K rebadged Toyota, but don't think it's ok to buy a 70K Nissan sports car that is faster than cars that are 30-50K more expensive? There's something wrong with this mentality......
      07-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #69
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
Not hating on the Nissan GTR because it's an incredible piece of machinery but if I had ~100K to work with I'd spring for the following cars:

BMW M5 Hurricane

Mercedes Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series

Porsche 911 Turbo
Don't really think you can get these for ~100K new......
      07-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #70
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Don't really think you can get these for ~100K new......
Even used they go for more than 100K at this point...
      07-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #71
uabimmer
Україна
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: JB e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2003 330i  [0.00]

*pss. i dont like nissans either

this should be fun

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #72
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
What a whore... I'll drive funnest and fastest car I can afford.

and yes, funnest is a word.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #73
LAbeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 3351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
What a whore... I'll drive funnest and fastest car I can afford.

and yes, funnest is a word.
+1

i drive exotic and fun cars for a living, cant even afford the gas bill on them for a week haha. Now when I win the lotto or take my career beyond its limits I will be picking up a GTR fo sho! For now my bad ass 335i is more fun than a roller coaster
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #74
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic the Hedgehog View Post
Doesn't anyone else feel like the words Japanese and sports car put together are just an oxymoron.
no...that's just ignorance

Quote:
Even if it is a steal at 75k wouldn't you rather have a real sports car like a 911 or m3. And with the car going for 25k over msrp just get an m5 or something like that
wow, your view is skewed. the 911 is the purest sports car of the three. and the GTR may be a GT car, but its far closer to a sports car in the purest sense than the M3 is. the M3 isn't even a sports car - its a "sporty" car...its a sport luxury coupe/sedan. and why would anyone willing to pay a premium for the GTR be remotely interested in the boat-on-wheels that is the M5? let me guess, you think the M5 is more of a sports car than the GTR, right?

Quote:
I dunno if I'm alone but I just don't understand. It's got a nissan symbol on it...

...sorry Idk it just seems weird to me to spend so much for something with a nissan badge on the trunk
its this kind of narrow-mindedness that prevents you from appreciating other makes and models for what they are and the purpose for which they were built. luxury isn't the only thing that makes cars expensive - performance does too. and the GTR has a hell of alot more performance than the new M3, hence its price tag. in fact, the price makes perfect sense if you can get away from the fanboy/brand-biased mentality and look past the fact that its wearing a Nissan badge.
      07-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #75
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by news 4 u View Post
Quote:
Not hating on the Nissan GTR because it's an incredible piece of machinery but if I had ~100K to work with I'd spring for the following cars:

Mercedes Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series
+1

...the CLK63 AMG Black Seires is cool as hell, but if you're looking to get the most performance for your dollar, there are wiser choices for $100k. again, someone willing to pay the premium on a GTR is looking for a $100k hardcore sports car, not a $100k glorified "sporty" luxury coupe. such a person would be more likely to step into a C6 Z06, 997 Turbo, 997 GT3/GT3RS, etc. than the CLK63 AMG Black series, assuming the GTR isn't the first $100k sports car on his or her list in the first place. they are thus sacrificing luxury for performance. you guys, on the other hand, are NOT willing to forgo the luxuries, and you ARE willing to sacrifice a bit of the performance - hence your preference of the CLK63 AMG Black over the GTR. and thus, you guys are very different customers than those shopping for GTR's.

i suppose both the CLK DTM AMG and the McLaren SLR would both be good examples of Mercedes Benz's that could compete performance-wise, but neither come close to the $100k price range we're currently discussing - they're far more expensive.
      07-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #76
LAbeemer
Private
Rep

i think we kinda took a little luxury over performance with our 335i, the lancer EVO was like 30k so almost 15k less than a loaded 335i and has same numbers and better stability control system (very similar in technology as the GTR). I'm sure with that extra 15k saved you could make a beast out of the EVO to kill any 335i on a track. But the evo is butt ugly and feels like a KIA inside. Once again a example of technology and performance at the cost of luxury, cause that little sucker handles good.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 02:04 AM   #77
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
first of all sorry about the lame title

I was just randomly surfing some sites and there is such a huge fuss about how great the gtr is and how dealers are selling it for way over sticker and how it laps the nurburgring blah blah

Then I see that it's about 75k without the mark up and I think man I would rather have a fully optioned m3 or something before a gtr

Doesn't anyone else feel like the words Japanese and sports car put together are just an oxymoron. Even if it is a steal at 75k wouldn't you rather have a real sports car like a 911 or m3. And with the car going for 25k over msrp just get an m5 or something like that

I dunno if I'm alone but I just don't understand. It's got a nissan symbol on it
The GT-R will eat up an M5 all day. M3 shouldn't be in this disucssion. A 2008 911 turbo STARTS at over $127k. GT-R is a bargain. You can take your nice sports car. I will take the supercar with the Nissan badge.

I got a chance to ride in a GT-R last week for about a half hour. At the present time, the GT-R will get you more attention on the streets than a Ferrari. People know and respect what it brings to the table and could care less about the badge.

Quote:

BMW M5 Hurricane - starts at 240,000 Euros
2008 Mercedes Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series - starting MSRP $135,825 (from KBB)
2008 Porsche 911 Turbo - starting MSRP 127,060 (from KBB)
]
The GT-R takes a dump on these much more expensive cars even with the GT-R's markup. The badge simply does not matter. GT-R is an engineering marvel that will embarrass other cars with higher price tags. 0-60 in 3.3s in stock form is fast.

Last edited by Bobby_Light; 07-19-2008 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: added "starting"
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #78
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbeemer View Post
Collector cars are a different subject, if you were driving sports cars before we were born you should of learned the difference by now. You also need to know that "history" as YOU look for is subjective. History is not defined by one man, just cause Chris Columbus didn't meet your standards doesnt make him any less historic. NISSAN HAS HISTORY, more so than some of your euro supercars. Nissan probably has a richer history than Porsche, the actual company has been around longer than Porsche. Just cause the name changed doesn"t mean Datsun's stint in racing doesn't count. Same engine builders and same watanabe family since I believe 1911. DR. Porsche AG founded Porsche in 1931, and yes he did build engines for VW but did not have an stint in racing during the VW days. Its funny because you might not even think Mercedes Benz is one of the richest racing histories, being one of the very first to challenge other car manufactures to races. Being one of the first few original car manufactures still around. Even FORD has been racing longer than any of those Porsche's or BMW's. So I dont know what history your looking for but you need to pull your head out of your rump because you can not deny the history Nissan has!!! But then again decisions about cars priced 75k and up doesn't seem to be in your past or future so who can blame you for giving us your WHAT IF. People who can buy cars like this understand a collector car is for passion (antiquated pieces of machinery) RACECARS like we are all talking about is the cutting edge of technology. But you have a right to your opinion, tell the F1 guys they need to have more heart and soul in there cars and send them back before computers. I'm sure they wont mind driving a collectors item worth millions rather than winning races with a RACECAR.

someone kill this thread! haha
If I need to learn the difference between sports cars and collectors cars (which may may also be sports cars) then maybe you should learn the difference between a road car and a race car.

BTW, I do not know what bizarro universe you live in that Nissan has a richer racing history than Porsche but have a good life in it.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #79
LAbeemer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
If I need to learn the difference between sports cars and collectors cars (which may may also be sports cars) then maybe you should learn the difference between a road car and a race car.

BTW, I do not know what bizarro universe you live in that Nissan has a richer racing history than Porsche but have a good life in it.

Porsche might have a higher winning percentage but nissan dabbles in almost every facets of racing. I dont see Porsche with a world champion F1 team? After the Renault–Nissan Alliance (March 27, 1999) the team has won both World Drivers and Constructors championships in 2005 and 2006 ahead of the vastly more experienced Ferrari and McLaren teams. It has been alleged that for 2008 the Renault F1 car will fly Nissan banners because and I quote "Given that the Renault F1 team has little to do with the French automaker". So i didn't make a solid statement, I said it MIGHT have a richer that's hard to quantify.

As for road car, i see the only difference between a race car and a road car is qualifying for the tech inspection for the governing body you will be racing under. Try and tell me that the MC12, mclairen f1, S7, or the Porsche 911 GT1 wernt race cars designed for competition in a specific class and sold as a road car for homologation purposes. Just cause the GTR isnt designed for a specific class in the 24 hour of Le Mans doesn't mean you cant stick a cage and some safety equipment in it and race it bone stock. Road cars can be race cars!

Try and keep this civil comic book boy
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #80
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

/thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #81
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post

/thread.
You are so wise Darkphantom.

/thread
      07-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #82
LAbeemer
Private
Rep

saw a thread earlier with that GTR, love the flat black.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #83
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbeemer View Post

Porsche might have a higher winning percentage but nissan dabbles in almost every facets of racing. I dont see Porsche with a world champion F1 team? After the Renault–Nissan Alliance (March 27, 1999) the team has won both World Drivers and Constructors championships in 2005 and 2006 ahead of the vastly more experienced Ferrari and McLaren teams. It has been alleged that for 2008 the Renault F1 car will fly Nissan banners because and I quote "Given that the Renault F1 team has little to do with the French automaker". So i didn't make a solid statement, I said it MIGHT have a richer that's hard to quantify.

As for road car, i see the only difference between a race car and a road car is qualifying for the tech inspection for the governing body you will be racing under. Try and tell me that the MC12, mclairen f1, S7, or the Porsche 911 GT1 wernt race cars designed for competition in a specific class and sold as a road car for homologation purposes. Just cause the GTR isnt designed for a specific class in the 24 hour of Le Mans doesn't mean you cant stick a cage and some safety equipment in it and race it bone stock. Road cars can be race cars!

Try and keep this civil comic book boy
So now the Renault F1 championships belong to Nissan? Why, because Renault bailed them out a few years ago? If you want (for reasons known only to you) to credit Nissan for the Renault championships then what about the McLaren-TAG/Porsche constructor championships in 84 and 85 and the drivers championships in 84 (Lauda), 85, and 86 (Prost)? Best as I can tell, Nissan has one Le Mans class victory while Porsche has 16.

You are simply making yourself look foolish trying to compare the racing tradition of Porsche with Nissan.

The GT-R is a fast car. It is still a Nissan and I would never pay $75K+ for a Nissan. If you wish to, have a blast.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #84
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
So now the Renault F1 championships belong to Nissan? Why, because Renault bailed them out a few years ago? If you want (for reasons known only to you) to credit Nissan for the Renault championships then what about the McLaren-TAG/Porsche constructor championships in 84 and 85 and the drivers championships in 84 (Lauda), 85, and 86 (Prost)? Best as I can tell, Nissan has one Le Mans class victory while Porsche has 16.

You are simply making yourself look foolish trying to compare the racing tradition of Porsche with Nissan.

The GT-R is a fast car. It is still a Nissan and I would never pay $75K+ for a Nissan. If you wish to, have a blast.

I love when people say stuff like this...another badge whore...

What is wrong with Nissan? is it because they build reliable cars that are cheaper? or is it because it can wax anything BMW throw at it?

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #85
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
When the R32 and R33 came along and swept away all the trophies in the Macau GP, the German teams were all bitching about it forcing the official to penalize Nissan. Eventually they just dropped out of the races because there's no point of wearing so much lead in the car.....
      07-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #86
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
I love when people say stuff like this...another badge whore...

What is wrong with Nissan? is it because they build reliable cars that are cheaper? or is it because it can wax anything BMW throw at it?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Nissan, zip, zero, nada. I have said repeatedly that I grew up in a series of Z cars (and 2002's) but I think $75-100K is a whole lot of money to spend on a car and if I were to do so it would be on something other than a Nissan (or actually anything made in Japan). If that makes me some sort of whore in your eyes, I will try not to lose too much sleep over that.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #87
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Someone needs to find me one at MSRP right now!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #88
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

I'm glad that Nissan kept the GTR as Nissan to keep close minded individuals like Sonic away out the car.
Appreciate 0