Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-18-2022, 01:43 PM   #1
Broneel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 - 96 328i - 95 M3

17 Codes/Errors and Counting

Morning folks, First post as I am trying to get as much insight as I can perhaps here can help, 2015 M3 -68k miles -

Long and unusual story, So Ill begin with briefly where the problems started.
I hit a bump while driving on the street, 20% throttle maybe while we hit this bump and traction control kicked in when the rear end lifted, and it immediately limited my rev's being to 4500 and stuck that way, nothing else happened, no CEL no drivetrain malfunction etc. Pulled over, turned it off. Turned on, fine, no problem.
So I replicated by giving it some throttle first to second to get TC to kick on again and boom same issue, now CEL came on. I parked it overnight at the gals house then took it the next morning to scan.
It drove perfectly fine for the 40 minute drive. Parked it again and turned it on, no check engine, no nothing. Totally normal.
Made it 30 feet and boom Christmas tree dashboard. Limp mode / stuck in second gear 40mph etc etc

Scanned it and here:

- DME active codes
103002 - Accelerator pedal module, pedal-travel
sensor 1, electrical: Short circuit to ground.
103008 - Accelerator pedal module, pedal-travel
sensor 1, operating range: Voltage too low.
120408 - Charging pressure control: Switch-off as
consequential reaction.
121002 - Boost pressure sensor, electrical: Short circuit
to ground.
121202 - Boost pressure sensor, plausibility,
coastdown: Pressure too low.
121531 - Charging pressure, operating range: Pressure
too low.
123704 - Electric wastegate 2, position sensor, electric:
Short circuit to ground.
135808 - Valvetronic servomotor, position sensors:
Malfunction.
165011 - High pressure pump position sensor, signal:
missing, substitute value active.
165012 - High pressure pump position sensor,
plausibility, signal edges: Number implausible,
substitute value active.
165013 - High pressure pump position sensor,
plausibility: signals implausible, substitute value not
active.
165014 - High pressure pump position sensor,
plausibility, signal edges: Position implausible,
1F1A90 - ME: Monitoring 5V sensor supply: Voltage
outside valid range.
213601 - Power management: Standby
current violation.
- ME shadow (inactive) codes
10351C - Accelerator pedal module, pedal-travel
sensor Multiple fault.
11A401 - Fuel high pressure during fuel injection
release: Pressure too low.
11B401 - Fuel high pressure or after enabling injection
(2nd ambient condition set after delay): Pressure too
low.
121521 - Boost pressure sensor. Multiple fault.
135908 - Valvetronic servomotor, position sensors:
Supply voltage faulty.
231501 - Fault entry: Send buffer full.
- Transmission active codes
412F08 - Electronic immobilizer (EWS): blocked.
CF3508 - Signal (accelerator pedal angle, 0xD9) invalid,
transmitter DME/DDE.

My shop guys suspected its the DME connector possibly at fault. Maybe loose or what not, The car only just received a valve cover replacement. No issues seem to be of any cause from the job. But they checked connectors, and all the previous work done, so we thought maybe it was loose, we re connected everything and it was ok. It made it a mile and same problems. Took it back to shop, cleared codes and started playing with wiring, connectors etc. (My battery is healthy, terminals and grounds around seem fine. A Lot of the codes seem to be having relation to voltage issues so we wanted to check the simple stuff first) Second look, seemed as though when we grabbed the servo motor connector on the valve cover with slight wiggling, it made everything light up on the dash and act up. So Disconnected and reconnected the plugs/ sensors thinking maybe just not tight right? Cleared codes. And the car was fine for a week or so until yesterday.

This time, MHD Scanner was struggling to even clear to codes and contact the DME. And it still left behind 2 codes. ( I used the MHD as a scanner, not tuner, {stock car})

DME active codes
1F1A90 - ME: Monitoring 5V sensor supply: Voltage
outside valid range.
- DME shadow (inactive) codes
135908 - Valvetronic servomotor, position sensors:
Supply voltage faulty.

It will not clear these. And re scanning 9/10 times all other codes pop right back as well. Around this time of trouble shooting I heard only ONCE, the bad jackhammer noise from the servomotor.

Basically while Im waiting to hear back and have it fully diag', my shop guy is banking that it is the valvetronic servomotor being the root of this issue. And I just wonder what anyone else thoughts would be as well. Im hoping maybe a chance we find the wiring connector to the servo is bad and not the servo itself. I wish this went bad while we already had the valve cover job getting done lol!.

Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 02:36 PM   #2
Broneel
Registered
Rep

UPDATE: Just tried pulling it into the shop now and it either just cranks and no start or starts for a second and shuts off.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 07:54 PM   #3
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Looks to be a power supply issue. Need to get it properly diagnosed..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 05:07 PM   #4
Broneel
Registered
Rep

Update: Took to dealer for diag. Found fault to be Wastegate actuator somehow disconnected enough and was the cause of everything.
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5524.00
hC1001610.00
      04-05-2022, 07:23 PM   #5
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Holy cow, that's a lot of codes for a disconnected wastegate actuator. Thanks for posting.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 01:32 PM   #6
Broneel
Registered
Rep

Yup. Hope this helps someone in the future!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 02:10 PM   #7
hC1001
Major
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 03:27 PM   #8
FrankEbONEZ
Private
Rep
Drives: White 2017 BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broneel View Post
Yup. Hope this helps someone in the future!

I'm hoping that I'll be that person.

I got my car back from the body shop after an incident in the wet on NY safety track and was driving it around to get some mileage on it so the O2 monitor readiness would be ok to pass inspection. After about 30 miles a check engine light popped up. Scanning said they were for both Bank 1 and Bank 2 after cat O2 sensor heaters.

Figuring I'll have to change them knowing it was common after a car has sat both indoors and out for as long as mine. (it was at the bodyshop for 9 months!! ) So I started driving home thinking there's no worry in doing so because they're only the monitoring O2 sensors.

After another 5 miles i make a left at an intersection and roll into it in 3rd only to about 30-40% throttle just to feel something without beating on it as i've been without the car for so long. After letting off and putting the DCT back into D to just cruise the rest of the way home, the tack lights up with red leds to 4k rpm, the car is barely responding regardless of throttle input, I hear a moderate air woosh similar to the sound after stock charge pipes let go and I start smelling raw gas.

I pull over and the car dies. I go to start it and it kind of starts on the first try (probably diesling from the fuel i smell) then it just cranked without any signs of starting. As I just got it back I had it towed down to the body shop for them to figure out. They let me know this afternoon that they're inquiring with their BMW contact as they can't find any reason it won't run.

These are the only codes that came up after it died and wouldn't start again.

I'm hoping the wastegate connection is my issue since we have code 165014 in common.

FYI, only engine related mods are BM3 stg 1 multimap (not the new flex enabled) which I've been running since it came out. VRSF charge pipes and intake.
Appreciate 0