BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Are Bilstein B8s worth getting without lowering springs?

09-05-2023, 03:08 PM   #1
bimmoris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Are Bilstein B8s worth getting without lowering springs?

My shocks are feeling pretty bouncy, and I looked into replacing them and found that Bilstein presents a good option, but at various tiers like B4, B6, and B8. I don’t really want to lower the car because I drive through unmaintained/unpaved backroads to get to trailheads often enough to want the extra ground clearance.

What’s the best option for a replacement/upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 06:56 PM   #2
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

I put B8's on and have enjoyed them ever since. Its basically the "sport suspension" the car should have come with.

Mine's not lowered so I can hit trailheads here in the PNW. Car has 17's on it now which also helps.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2023, 03:16 PM   #3
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmoris View Post
My shocks are feeling pretty bouncy, and I looked into replacing them and found that Bilstein presents a good option, but at various tiers like B4, B6, and B8. I don’t really want to lower the car because I drive through unmaintained/unpaved backroads to get to trailheads often enough to want the extra ground clearance.

What’s the best option for a replacement/upgrade?
Bilstein B8 is shorter than the others, specially designed for lowering springs. So, if yours isn't lowered, you should go with Bilstein B6, if you want a sporty ride.

As a thumb rule:
  • Bilstein B4 - These are classed as a replacement damper. A few B4 variations exist depending on the vehicle application but these are all intended to replace the standard shocks fitted when the car was new.
  • Bilstein B6 - A non adjustable sport damper which is painted yellow. The B6 damper is designed for the motorist that wants a sporty ride without lowering the car or changing the original springs.
  • Bilstein B8 - just like the B6 shock absorber but shorter. These are only for use with lowering springs or where listed for vehicles with factory sports suspension. The are shorter to ensure the all important coil spring pre load as lowering springs are shorter than OE springs.