BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Hi from the Land Down Under - Oz - Australia

05-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
Teckno711
Rep
Drives: BMW 330Ci & X1 sDrive20i

Hi from the Land Down Under - Oz - Australia

Hi,
New to this Community. Felt that given the number of X1 sold in USA & UK, being RHD, there will be similar lessons to learn for us in Oz.
My initial impression of the X1, sDrive 20i with some extra packs is that it’s a nice unit.
I however am extremely disappointed with BMW HQ contact system, 4 calls over 3 weeks and no follow up contact.
Email to 4 Dealers seeking same info and 1 x emailed part info, 1 x called to discuss (very helpful and will get our business) and selling Dealer rang from service area tried to answer some questioms, did not know hour $ rate for labour and said will call back…. Still waiting !!
Asked for car insurance quote and after 2 weeks and complaint to Finance Director, received a call 7 hours before collection, and twice as expensive - from same insurance underwriter !!
Delivery was interesting.
Genius Guy was nice, but under trained and not working from any approved script.
Fuel, 95 Ron shown, remote key operated, shown lights switch, indicators and washer.
lot of time, about 10 min on wide screen- had to ask for iPhone to be paired and app loaded.
That was it. No explanation of boot, ( no spare, omly tire goo and pump), no air PSI info.
No advice to open bonnet, no info re charging battery or filling washer bottle. Did not know where brake fluid reservoir was, did not know where battery was and no idea on correct coolant to use in an emergency.
The list goes on.
So we survive on new technology that tells us when to change oil and how much is in the sump, no dip stick.
I have a lot of questions as to brake fluid, oil, coolant and type of battery, standard cells, AGM or newer generation ? 70 Ah CCC ?
Australia is a large area, at 11.00pm 500km from a dealer it would be nice to know what this is so the fuel station attendant does not sell you the wrong ‘stuff’ that will void warranty or turn coolant to gel if mixed with wrong version !!

How have your experiences gone ??
Many thanks from the Land Down Under.

Last edited by Teckno711; 05-22-2021 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Spell
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 10:33 PM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Welcome to the forum. We recently sold our (Aus-delivered) 2016 25i after nearly five years' use. When it comes to dealers, as they say, YVMV. Our delivery back in March 2016 by the Canberra dealer included a 90 minute handover and instructional from the BMW Genius — which we were told to allow for, beforehand. It was pretty comprehensive and, as the car was used mainly by my wife, very important. Subsequently, I've discovered most other questions can be answered either by consulting the handbook (online is easy to search — get the app) or via the odd call to the BMW Genius.

Your experience is nothing on a friend, who recently took delivery of a new Tesla. Car arrives on tilt-bed truck at the appointed day and time; driver checks credentials, unloads the truck and departs! 😳 It was his first BEV, so — not unnaturally — he had (and continues to have) many questions. I guess all the answers are on line, but a little hand-holding is appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2021, 07:56 PM   #3
Teckno711
Rep
Drives: BMW 330Ci & X1 sDrive20i

Did a ‘deep dive’ and opened up the battery compartment in the X1, sDrive20i.
Battery is new generation EFB.
Banner brand, made in Germany.
12v, 70Ah, 700A (EN).
120CC, 700CCA (SAE).
Two part numbers ?
S 61 216 991 365
AW 61 216 992 187
701788 - 10AT
Battery post week 06, 2021
Warranty commenced mid May 2021.

It appears EFB batteries are ‘lead acid’ on steroids, for ‘stop start’ systems and utilise smart chargers set to ‘normal’ recharging, not AGM.
Developed to meet Euro 6 issues, cheaper to make and slightly lighter.
VARTA have a good info section with cut-away diagrams of normal, EFB and AGM design.
EFB usually used where there is no recover of braking energy.
That said there appears to be no reason why when replacing an EFB, an AGM could not be substituted ?
VARTA recommends an alternative of 80Ah, 800A AGM 580-901080.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1