oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Useful info/reminder, thank you.

I think the question for many was why the date is what it is. Mileage is the easy one but original question was when does the clock start ticking and the answer is from the day the car is built in the factory, not date of sale. With Covid restrictions many cars are hitting service “date” requirement with as few as 4,000 miles on the clock and it has caused mild consternation. I also note that cars used to come with a long check list for each service interval and this appears hard to find.
You can also pick up most, if not all, of the info as to when various services are due by going into the Connected Drive app on your phone and looking at the 'INFO' tab. There you can see a list of Required Services and tap on each for more info.
My X1 Build Date was Feb '18 and delivered/registered late 3/18, with the service items due after 3 years showing at March 2021 (e.g. Brake Fluid change due in March '21). Dealer called me very recently and I've booked the car late in late March for its pre warranty expiry inspection (MOT Protect) and same date for the MOT because any work required should be covered by the warranty (my son had a steering joint replaced under warranty recently when his 1 Series was in for its MOT Protect inspection and subsequent MOT).
I currently have a front brake pads wear advisory showing and my visual inspection of rears looks as though they too are well down on wear, but will get both fronts and rears, including wear indicators, replaced by a local garage for £150 less than BMW quote, using BMW parts to retain the warranty, despite the warranty expiring shortly after the dealer visit as above. I've not had a car before that needed pads replaced at around 30K miles, so I'm not overly pleased about that. Previous Audi cars covered well over 50K miles before change and I've never had a disk replaced. Will have the fluid change and aircon service done by BMW to show on service record in the car.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-08-2021, 06:02 AM   #24
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
You can also pick up most, if not all, of the info as to when various services are due by going into the Connected Drive app on your phone and looking at the 'INFO' tab. There you can see a list of Required Services and tap on each for more info.
My X1 Build Date was Feb '18 and delivered/registered late 3/18, with the service items due after 3 years showing at March 2021 (e.g. Brake Fluid change due in March '21). Dealer called me very recently and I've booked the car late in late March for its pre warranty expiry inspection (MOT Protect) and same date for the MOT because any work required should be covered by the warranty (my son had a steering joint replaced under warranty recently when his 1 Series was in for its MOT Protect inspection and subsequent MOT).
I currently have a front brake pads wear advisory showing and my visual inspection of rears looks as though they too are well down on wear, but will get both fronts and rears, including wear indicators, replaced by a local garage for £150 less than BMW quote, using BMW parts to retain the warranty, despite the warranty expiring shortly after the dealer visit as above. I've not had a car before that needed pads replaced at around 30K miles, so I'm not overly pleased about that. Previous Audi cars covered well over 50K miles before change and I've never had a disk replaced. Will have the fluid change and aircon service done by BMW to show on service record in the car.
Sorry to read about rapid/premature brake pad wear, I have seen several posts where people have had same experience. The pads on my F48 were still fine but it had only done 17,400 miles. Tyres were close to 3mm so had about 500-1,000 miles left (I never let them get to legal minimum).

I’m obviously driving the car too slowly
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 06:16 AM   #25
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to read about rapid/premature brake pad wear, I have seen several posts where people have had same experience. The pads on my F48 were still fine but it had only done 17,400 miles. Tyres were close to 3mm so had about 500-1,000 miles left (I never let them get to legal minimum).

I’m obviously driving the car too slowly
Thanks. I bought a set of BMW winter wheels and tyres soon after buying the car and have those on the car from late Oct to March, which has helped even out the wear. The price I paid, buying the set of wheels just after the end of the winter period, was very attractive and I still have 4-5mm left on the summer tyres. As with yourself, I change when the tread depth is down to around 3mm. Pre retirement, when I had a management car it was always possible to get the tyres changed at 3mm, usually with a bit of help from the nominated tyre company, who had to obtain sanction from our vehicle purchasing unit. Aquaplaning on a very wet road, with tyres down below 3mm, can be rather frightening!
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-08-2021, 06:31 AM   #26
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I bought a set of BMW winter wheels and tyres soon after buying the car and have those on the car from late Oct to March, which has helped even out the wear. The price I paid, buying the set of wheels just after the end of the winter period, was very attractive and I still have 4-5mm left on the summer tyres. As with yourself, I change when the tread depth is down to around 3mm. Pre retirement, when I had a management car it was always possible to get the tyres changed at 3mm, usually with a bit of help from the nominated tyre company, who had to obtain sanction from our vehicle purchasing unit. Aquaplaning on a very wet road, with tyres down below 3mm, can be rather frightening!
I have been procrastinating about getting a full set of winter wheels/tyres for the new car. I have always done so in the past but am now living in a fairly “mild” area and doing so very little driving. Where did you get your tyres? I have seen a number of German sellers doing sets of oem wheels and tyres for £1,100-£1,300 but and slightly worried as most appear used (so age and real condition a risk).

Apologies
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 07:02 AM   #27
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have been procrastinating about getting a full set of winter wheels/tyres for the new car. I have always done so in the past but am now living in a fairly “mild” area and doing so very little driving. Where did you get your tyres? I have seen a number of German sellers doing sets of oem wheels and tyres for £1,100-£1,300 but and slightly worried as most appear used (so age and real condition a risk).

Apologies
I saw them originally on eBay from a dealer in the far South West June '18, so showed the ad to my local dealer and they almost price matched at quite a lot less than you've been seeing.
Tyres are Pirelli SottoZero 3's and the time they came in extremely handy was around two years ago from this weekend when travelling from Staffs/Derbys border to our son near to Highclere Castle, south of Newbury. The A34 from Oxford southwards was a nightmare with from nothing, to around 6" of snow. A Volvo XC60 on a slight incline close to our sons home wasn't able to negotiate the road, simply slipping into the kerbside whereas we just kept going and didn't miss a beat! As it's quite hilly where we live I wouldn't be without winter wheels/tyres now on any car. I keep either set in my garage when not on the car, but it's a double garage and we only have the one car nowadays.

Last edited by oakey46; 02-08-2021 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #28
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
I saw them originally on eBay from a dealer in the far South West June '18, so showed the ad to my local dealer and they almost price matched at quite a lot less than you've been seeing.
Tyres are Pirelli SottoZero 3's and the time they came in extremely handy was around two years ago from this weekend when travelling from Staffs/Derbys border to our son near to Highclere Castle, south of Newbury. The A34 from Oxford southwards was a nightmare with from nothing, to around 6" of snow. A Volvo XC60 on a slight incline close to our sons home wasn't able to negotiate the road, simply slipping into the kerbside whereas we just kept going and didn't miss a beat! As it's quite hilly where we live I wouldn't be without winter wheels/tyres now on any car. I keep either set in my garage when not on the car, but it's a double garage and we only have the one car nowadays.
Thanks for for this, I recall, seeing the ads. My compromise at the moment is to keep a pair of “snowsocks” in the boot. I will bite the bullet and order some winter tyres, If only to bring an early Spring.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 02:28 PM   #29
Shagohod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Quote:
Thanks for for this, I recall, seeing the ads. My compromise at the moment is to keep a pair of “snowsocks” in the boot. I will bite the bullet and order some winter tyres, If only to bring an early Spring.
I had never heard of snowsocks before and just looked it up. There is apparently one brand that is legal in Colorado as an alternative to chains. When DoT demands it here you are required to either have snow tires, chains, or AWD, and your tires must be at 3/16" tread depth. Definitely interested in picking a set of those socks up to see how they compare to bare Michelin A/S tires. I think for my area a traction booster like chains/socks would be preferable to a set of winter tires/wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #30
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod View Post
I had never heard of snowsocks before and just looked it up. There is apparently one brand that is legal in Colorado as an alternative to chains. When DoT demands it here you are required to either have snow tires, chains, or AWD, and your tires must be at 3/16" tread depth. Definitely interested in picking a set of those socks up to see how they compare to bare Michelin A/S tires. I think for my area a traction booster like chains/socks would be preferable to a set of winter tires/wheels.
One thing to be aware of is that whilst Snowsocks are very useful, they are essentially for emergency use. That is because you can really only use them when there is lying snow on the ground. If you drive on a dry road with them fitted for more than a very short distance they will wear away and be unusable. Also worth noting that you only use them on the driven wheels. I understand that if you have AWD you use them on the front wheels, but I stand to be corrected on that.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-08-2021, 05:33 PM   #31
Shagohod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Quote:
One thing to be aware of is that whilst Snowsocks are very useful, they are essentially for emergency use. That is because you can really only use them when there is lying snow on the ground. If you drive on a dry road with them fitted for more than a very short distance they will wear away and be unusable. Also worth noting that you only use them on the driven wheels. I understand that if you have AWD you use them on the front wheels, but I stand to be corrected on that.
Yeah I assume the asphalt will absolutely eat them if they aren't protected by the snow. I'm thinking more for the odd blizzard that comes through here, there is a hill that is widely known for having a string of abandoned cars overnight when the real snow hits. I look forward to testing it out haha, but I'm plenty happy to wait until next year!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 03:44 AM   #32
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
A good piece of advice. Fortunately driving on snow appears to have little impact. I drove on a pair in the Alps for over 150 miles over three weeks and apart from looking dirty they are almost as good as new. Damage can come from driving too fast on re-frozen ice and grit or exposed sections of tarmac, where the very tough fabric can get cut or abraded. They are however absolutely not a substitute for winter tyres and as you say, treating them as “for emergencies” is the sensible approach. On snow, they are tough and hold up incredibly well. Interestingly, they also “stick” when driving on sheet ice, I think it is a combination of the coarse fabric and the weight of the car, it glues the sock.

I also use spikes spider traction aids and I often found the snow socks just as effective, they are an excellent product and like having light, easy to fit snow chains in a bag.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-10-2021 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 03:55 AM   #33
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod View Post
Yeah I assume the asphalt will absolutely eat them if they aren't protected by the snow. I'm thinking more for the odd blizzard that comes through here, there is a hill that is widely known for having a string of abandoned cars overnight when the real snow hits. I look forward to testing it out haha, but I'm plenty happy to wait until next year!
They can be great fun, I used a pair of snow socks one winter when I lived near Dartmoor (exposed hilly moorland in U.K.) and was about the only car on the road. I even stopped and chatted to some Police in an old style Land Rover who were amazed I had so much traction.

You are right tarmac can shred them unless you drive very slow and carefully (under 5mph and keep steering input to a minimum), then they can handle occasional use on short sections (under a mile). My wife drove on a pair for about 20 miles, on tarmac, re-formed ice, grit , as well as snow and they looked a fairly sad and fluffy in parts but actually worked just as well on snow the next day.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #34
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Guys, don't forget to (manually) check the coolant level. This should be included in your checklist =).