BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

12-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #67
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BSM F82

I just noticed my car has a very very slight vibration between 60-80mph. At 80mph the wheel shakes about 3mm left/right when I let go. It's nothing terrible, but once I notice something like this, I can't let it go until it's fixed. How bad have yours been?

They put new tires on it when I bought it, so I think the tires just need to just be rebalanced after the 1600mi I've put on them. I just got the car a month ago and am still paranoid that something is going to break on it because I want it to last me a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbluemn View Post
If u compare with other street cars, our car vibrates and it's the feed back from road. The amount of vibration highly depends on tires, like how stiff the side wall is. I had huge vibration before due to unbalanced wheel. Our car is very rough but also very robust. Just ignore small issues, they will eventually come to u. Just have fun lol.
Hopefully you're right!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #68
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorRoadRage View Post
I just noticed my car has a very very slight vibration between 60-80mph. At 80mph the wheel shakes about 3mm left/right when I let go. It's nothing terrible, but once I notice something like this, I can't let it go until it's fixed. How bad have yours been?

They put new tires on it when I bought it, so I think the tires just need to just be rebalanced after the 1600mi I've put on them. I just got the car a month ago and am still paranoid that something is going to break on it because I want it to last me a long time!

Hopefully you're right!
Have you tried the easiest solutions first? road-force balance (noticed i get a shake with 'regular' balancing on these wide wheels) and alignment? Any suspension modifications including spacers?

No shake at high speeds on mine, lowered on MPHAS and aligned. I had a similar 3mm-ish shake on a prior car due to crappy spacers that threw everything out of whack.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #69
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
Have you tried the easiest solutions first? road-force balance (noticed i get a shake with 'regular' balancing on these wide wheels) and alignment? Any suspension modifications including spacers?

No shake at high speeds on mine, lowered on MPHAS and aligned. I had a similar 3mm-ish shake on a prior car due to crappy spacers that threw everything out of whack.
Bone stock with new tires ~1500mi ago as mentioned. I just noticed the other day and am working on lining up a shop visit to rebalance. It's not a huge deal, but don't want to let it turn into one...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:21 PM   #70
Sunny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

I everyone, just wanted to share a win. Thanks to another forum member, I had the advice that my issue may be the rear axles... which, it actually was!!! My car is vibration free and perfect now. Turns out they were not balanced properly. Hope this helps some others.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:34 PM   #71
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

As a follow-up, I had my tires rebalanced and the vibration is gone (as I'd hoped).

Apparently, the Mercedes dealership I bought the car from (used) didn't rebalance the tires when they mounted them........ Was off by a few grams on each tire...

Glad it was just the balancing that was wrong. Hope everyone else gets their issues resolved.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #72
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
I everyone, just wanted to share a win. Thanks to another forum member, I had the advice that my issue may be the rear axles... which, it actually was!!! My car is vibration free and perfect now. Turns out they were not balanced properly. Hope this helps some others.
interesting, did you replace the axles or is there a way to balance them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorRoadRage View Post
As a follow-up, I had my tires rebalanced and the vibration is gone (as I'd hoped).

Apparently, the Mercedes dealership I bought the car from (used) didn't rebalance the tires when they mounted them........ Was off by a few grams on each tire...

Glad it was just the balancing that was wrong. Hope everyone else gets their issues resolved.
Nice! Glad you got it sorted out.
Appreciate 0