E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Coupe Vs 4-Door

04-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #45
speeedaholic
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

I recently purchased my first BMW...originally wanted a E92 but since I was looking for a clean CPO I considered a E90 as a option. I ended up with a flawless 2009 Jet Black E90...it only had 2744mi and the Carfax report was clean. No regrets...love the E90 and would go that route again
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #46
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

For me sedan looks more aggresive and masculine where as coupe is more feminine. both are pretty in their own ways.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #47
fastaction
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpride335i View Post
For me sedan looks more aggresive and masculine where as coupe is more feminine. both are pretty in their own ways.
nicely said, I own a 335i sedan, but found a really cheap e46 coupe as a winter beater and really happy with it,,, but HATE the difference of how flimsy the doors feel on the coupe.
      04-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #48
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuch123 View Post
my question is why are coupes always more expensive? seems like you get more car in addition to the 2 additional doors with the sedan.. Traded in a 4dr.. i think the back doors were used maybe 10 times in 4yrs .. love the coupe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
The reason sedans cost less is the higher demand. Although the sedan may cost more to build the engineering and tooling costs get spread over a larger base.
I always thought that coupes cost more, on top of all those reasons, is because of the extra structural rigidity needed on the wider openings for the larger doors, no? So actually, there's more engineering to be done on a coupe rather than a sedan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I suspect that in addition to the fact that sedans have their costs spread out over a larger market base as was already mentioned, the other part is that people are willing to pay just for style. For example, the Mercedes CLS Class is pretty much an E Class with two fewer doors and sexier styling, and it's substantially more expensive. The 6 Series is very similar to the 5 (yes it's more luxurious, but not insanely so) and it's far more expensive as well.
Do you mean the E-class coupe or the CL? Because the CLS has four doors...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #49
fistofsouth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 209 BMW 335i E92 N54

It all depends on your tastes and priorities. I have a wife and two kids, but at this point my kids are driving so a coupe is no problem. When the kids were small all we could afford was a 2-door hatchback so there was lots of bending and contorting to get kids in and out of the back seats. Still we were young ourselves so it was no big deal; I mean if you're complaining about pulling a kid out of a car seat when you're 27 then your going to have a long miserable life, but I digress.

The simple fact of the matter is that I'm the wrong person to ever consult regarding matters of this nature because I honestly feel like one should go with what makes them happiest. In a world where most of my peers waited to have kids and then went all in with a 3000+ sf house in the burbs and an SUV with an automatic transmission. The wife and I knocked out both of our kids south of 24, we live in a a nice, new energy-star certified home that's just a bit over 1400sf, we have never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission and we have never owned anything larger than a sedan.

Just because you have kids does not mean that you have to change every element of your life to go along with them. Be honest and go with what makes you happy, I can understand avoiding a 2-seater because of kids, I can understand preferring a 5 Series or SUV if you are a Realtor, but worrying about the number of doors on your car because you have kids is crazy. I mean one would hope that you will eventually want to train your kids to walk and climb and open fasteners of various types. We did that with our kids and it meant that by the time our kids were toddlers all we did to get them out of the car was flip the front seat forward. If you plan on teaching your kids to do a few things for themselves then a coupe will work just as well as a sedan 90% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #50
middleagedhippie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post
It all depends on your tastes and priorities. I have a wife and two kids, but at this point my kids are driving so a coupe is no problem. When the kids were small all we could afford was a 2-door hatchback so there was lots of bending and contorting to get kids in and out of the back seats. Still we were young ourselves so it was no big deal; I mean if you're complaining about pulling a kid out of a car seat when you're 27 then your going to have a long miserable life, but I digress.

The simple fact of the matter is that I'm the wrong person to ever consult regarding matters of this nature because I honestly feel like one should go with what makes them happiest. In a world where most of my peers waited to have kids and then went all in with a 3000+ sf house in the burbs and an SUV with an automatic transmission. The wife and I knocked out both of our kids south of 24, we live in a a nice, new energy-star certified home that's just a bit over 1400sf, we have never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission and we have never owned anything larger than a sedan.

Just because you have kids does not mean that you have to change every element of your life to go along with them. Be honest and go with what makes you happy, I can understand avoiding a 2-seater because of kids, I can understand preferring a 5 Series or SUV if you are a Realtor, but worrying about the number of doors on your car because you have kids is crazy. I mean one would hope that you will eventually want to train your kids to walk and climb and open fasteners of various types. We did that with our kids and it meant that by the time our kids were toddlers all we did to get them out of the car was flip the front seat forward. If you plan on teaching your kids to do a few things for themselves then a coupe will work just as well as a sedan 90% of the time.
I like the idea of your small house and "simplified" living, but we too have two kids and our Mini-Van with a DVD player in the roof was a lifesaver. We enjoyed our road trips with that van, sometimes driving thousands of miles. When young and single, I was perfectly happy with my two door, manual drive Honda Prelude and Honda Accords. But with marriage and children and a dog comes the need for space, and those two doors wouldn't cut it. My kids are older now but the convenience of a sedan far outweighs the hassles of dealing with a two door. Growing up there was no such thing as a minivan. We had to deal with those horrid station wagons . . Dad was never going to be caught dead in a VW Bus. Of course, my daughter is fixated on getting a vintage VW Bus.

And I would NEVER consider a convertible . . not living in Florida. The only time I open my moon roof is in the evening when we get the cool breezes off the Atlantic. During the day, got Tint on the windows and the windshield to protect from the UV. Its the only way to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #51
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleagedhippie View Post
Growing up there was no such thing as a minivan. We had to deal with those horrid station wagons . .
I like modern euro wagons. Saw a nice S4 Avant today. I'd have considered a 3 series touring but they don't offer a 335 model here (and the touring being heavier would need the added power more than ever).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #52
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Does anyone have the dimensions to back this up? I've seen the schematic drawings, but can't tell if reality supports my feeling...however, when I sit in my coupe...I feel the front driver/passenger area is much bigger than it is in a sedan. Even in the new F30, I felt the front area was smaller. I'm wondering, however, if that is just perception caused by the much shorter front doors on the sedan. One advantage of a sedan is certainly those doors...easier to get out of the car in tight parking spots!

As for the coupe/sedan choice vis-a-vis kids...this makes no sense to me! My kids are 4 and 6, and both of them can get in the back seat, get on their car seats, and buckle themselves in on their own. I just make sure they have done it properly. Very easy...kids are clever enough to figure out how to do this! Middleagedhippie is totally right on kids and cars...kids will adapt. My 6 year old freaked out when I told him I was considering a sedan.."No way dad!"
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #53
expertrm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

I just bought a 2009 335i sedan and love the lines.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #54
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Somehow the sedan looks skinny from behind.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #55
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

E92 coupe is the best
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #56
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
I've been a 4-door guy all my life. I bought this e93(2-door/coupe) and totally in love with this car. Couple of days back I sat in a 4-door 5-series, X5 and felt suffocated. No offense, but i think 2-door is pretty awesome.
What do you guys think??
Agree..Different ride different feel all together.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #57
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
Agree..Different ride different feel all together.
Its hard comparing 5 series to 3 series, 3 is alot more sporty of a car. In luxury aspect ya the 5 definitely has it on e90 3 series specially with Idrive of e60's But I love the relative simplicity that my E90 2006 has just like the old e46's. Push the button/turn the knob and go. No Idrive BS (Not knocking it, it works pretty well in E65 I test drove.)
Appreciate 0