BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Movies! The movie thread

01-23-2024, 01:12 PM   #5633
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Not sure what I expected when I put The Pope's Exorcist on my watch list. Consumed it last night. I guess I'm still intrigued by the possibility of possession.

Russel Crowe just didn't give a shit what anyone else thought in that character, I found it strangely amusing within the context.

Spoiler alert: If it has a sequel, there will be another Inquisition.
I actually enjoyed this movie. And I'm not a fan of possession movies in general. That little boy have one heckuva performance!
Also try:

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 01-23-2024 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-23-2024, 04:02 PM   #5634
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I actually enjoyed this movie. And I'm not a fan of possession movies in general. That little boy have one heckuva performance!
Also try:

I am STARVING for good horror. I'll still watch this but I'm just wondering what else can they do but rehash the same old formula, i.e.

poor innocent gets possessed...troubled but good priest from faraway gets emergency call from the Vatican to do the exorcism (he is the only one capable of such task)...meet the family...possessed on a bed (why can't it be on a recliner, couch or something else? LOL) taunts priest, mocking him about some deep, dark, shameful secret he has that no one else knows about, does its parlor tricks of puking, extreme gymnastics and contortions, telekinesis, priest furiously chanting holy jibberish, splashing holy water, bible thumping, maybe his sidekick (if any) gets injured or killed, maybe there's a timeout where the priest runs around and finds some special weapon or thing to win this present losing battle...demon finally gets exorcised (Ace Ventura: "this house is clear(n)!!!")

Did I miss anything?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 04:59 PM   #5635
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I am STARVING for good horror. I'll still watch this but I'm just wondering what else can they do but rehash the same old formula, i.e.

poor innocent gets possessed...troubled but good priest from faraway gets emergency call from the Vatican to do the exorcism (he is the only one capable of such task)...meet the family...possessed on a bed (why can't it be on a recliner, couch or something else? LOL) taunts priest, mocking him about some deep, dark, shameful secret he has that no one else knows about, does its parlor tricks of puking, extreme gymnastics and contortions, telekinesis, priest furiously chanting holy jibberish, splashing holy water, bible thumping, maybe his sidekick (if any) gets injured or killed, maybe there's a timeout where the priest runs around and finds some special weapon or thing to win this present losing battle...demon finally gets exorcised (Ace Ventura: "this house is clear(n)!!!")

Did I miss anything?
My wife and I aren't horror movie fans but we do like occult/possesion movies and this wasn't bad. We also like werewolf and vampire movies but draw the line there if that makes sense.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 05:30 PM   #5636
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
My wife and I aren't horror movie fans but we do like occult/possesion movies and this wasn't bad. We also like werewolf and vampire movies but draw the line there if that makes sense.
We are HUGE horror (strictly supernatural stuff, NOT Jason/Mike Myers, those are thrillers) fans but can't find many good ones. I'm a sucker for vampire and werewolf movies too...can't say the same for my wife lol, so I kinda trick her into watching them w me:

Her "hey, what's this?"
Me: "Ummm, it's horror, I dunno about it's about, it's supposed to be scary." (...loads vampire or werewolf movie hehe)
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 08:46 PM   #5637
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Did I miss anything?
Have you seen SMILE?

Even though it came out nearly 2yrs ago, it remains one of the most unsettling movies I have ever watched. And I'm a horror hound.
he's a few recommendations:
Talk To Me
Barbarian
Hellraiser 2022
Doctor Sleep
Evil Dead Rise
Black Phone
Wolf of Snow Hollow
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 12:22 AM   #5638
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Have you seen SMILE?

Even though it came out nearly 2yrs ago, it remains one of the most unsettling movies I have ever watched. And I'm a horror hound.
Talk To Me
Barbarian
Hellraiser 2022
Doctor Sleep
Evil Dead Rise
Black Phone
Wolf of Snow Hollow
Tx man, I've seen most of those so will check out Hellraiser and Wolf. Good picks.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 08:44 AM   #5639
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I agree, Smile was good. Definitely a notch or 2 above the average horror flick. My 2 cents on horror: it would be way freakin' scarier if they never do the "reveal" at the end and just leave the evil force as more of a mystery. In Smile, for example, the ending sequence in that abandoned house or whatever it was reduced an otherwise excellent horror film closer to its cheesy peers in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 12:01 PM   #5640
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
I agree, Smile was good. Definitely a notch or 2 above the average horror flick. My 2 cents on horror: it would be way freakin' scarier if they never do the "reveal" at the end and just leave the evil force as more of a mystery. In Smile, for example, the ending sequence in that abandoned house or whatever it was reduced an otherwise excellent horror film closer to its cheesy peers in my opinion.
I agree somewhat but want some kinda reveal. However, I think that the one in Smile was a bit off for whatever reason (just going by very faint memory haha).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:20 PM   #5641
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
I agree somewhat but want some kinda reveal. However, I think that the one in Smile was a bit off for whatever reason (just going by very faint memory haha).
I liked the ending of Smile. I thought it fit the movie.

From the movies listed above I also liked Barbarian, Doctor Sleep, Evil Dead Rise, and Black Phone.
      01-24-2024, 01:33 PM   #5642
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

This is flat-out the scariest move I've **ever** seen.

No blood. No ghosts. (Almost) no violence. Pretty much a study of evil hidden in plain sight.

And it literally freaked me out for YEARS.

It's called "The Vanishing" from 1988. You do NOT want to see the American version-- they ruined it. You want the one from 1988 that's Dutch/German/French with English subtitles.

It's dated, but won a bunch of awards in Europe. And obviously the premise was good enough that they "remade" it for American audiences (and completely destroyed the entire point of the movie in the process).

I watched it in the early '90's, and to this day I'm still somewhat freaked out by it.

R.
      01-24-2024, 06:13 PM   #5643
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

The ending of Smile was perfectly fine for me.
I honestly would be pissed to not see a visualization of the antagonist of ANY horror flick.
FYI... Part 2 is in the works and will, as it should, delve into the origin of this entity or force.
Release date is later this year near Halloween.

It stars the extremely attractive IMO, Naomi Scott

https://screenrant.com/smile-2-movie...-cast-updates/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 06:17 PM   #5644
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The ending of Smile was perfectly fine for me.
I honestly would be pissed to not see a visualization of the antagonist of ANY horror flick.
FYI... Part 2 is in the works and will, as it should, delve into the origin of this entity or force.
Release date is later this year near Halloween.

It stars the extremely attractive IMO, Naomi Scott

https://screenrant.com/smile-2-movie...-cast-updates/
Is that a criterion for you in horror movies, attractive leads?

Cool, would love a prequel of that.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 07:03 PM   #5645
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Haha!!! It certainly helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 07:07 PM   #5646
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Speaking of attractive damsels in distress...

Another movie and female lead I really like and anticipate.

https://youtu.be/9eN_AGX8GXk?si=E4nOBj6PGCnt_jjA
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 05:09 AM   #5647
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

The original Vanishing Point with Barry Newman.
Ex cop and race driver Kowalski on 'speed' tries to deliver a new Dodge from Denver to San Francisco in record time.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 11:41 AM   #5648
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Sign me up immediately!!! This looks f****** Epic

Appreciate 2
Bingham276.00
      01-27-2024, 08:28 PM   #5649
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

They did a remake of the best movie evar lol. Conor McGregor's in it too, should be fun
Appreciate 2
Bingham276.00
      01-28-2024, 07:01 PM   #5650
HBC
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Have you seen SMILE?

Talk To Me
Barbarian
Hellraiser 2022
Doctor Sleep
Evil Dead Rise
Black Phone
Wolf of Snow Hollow
Smile was one of the worst movies that I've seen in quite some time. Even my 16 yr old daughter, who loves horror movies, agreed.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 09:51 PM   #5651
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBC View Post
Smile was one of the worst movies that I've seen in quite some time. Even my 16 yr old daughter, who loves horror movies, agreed.
Oh well. I stand by what I said. And it's highly acclaimed by critics and most folks who watched it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 10:16 PM   #5652
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Oh well. I stand by what I said. And it's highly acclaimed by critics and most folks who watched it.
I liked it. I’ve seen it twice already. Second time was with my daughter. She liked it too.

We’re all different and that’s what makes the world go round.
      01-28-2024, 10:26 PM   #5653
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I liked it. I’ve seen it twice already. Second time was with my daughter. She liked it too.

Yes indeed. Well said.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 11:47 PM   #5654
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

Here I thought it was the gravitational pull of the sun?🤔
Appreciate 0