E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Carly - Automatic headLight sensitivity setting

10-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #23
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Please let us know. I'm curious about the results.

Thanks.
Update: Cloudy day, changed the sensitivity from 1 - 3 Xenon is still on in Auto
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #24
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
Update: Cloudy day, changed the sensitivity from 1 - 3 Xenon is still on in Auto
My take on these settings... It's neat for someone to think they can control the sensitivity setting, but the results I've seen have been little to no change in all settings. I think the variance is either too small to make a noticeable difference, or those settings actually do nothing at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #25
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
My take on these settings... It's neat for someone to think they can control the sensitivity setting, but the results I've seen have been little to no change in all settings. I think the variance is either too small to make a noticeable difference, or those settings actually do nothing at all.
Its weird, I see all the euro bmw when they have their lights in AUTO, once they enter like a tunnel / underground parking lot, it will turn the xenon ON,=. But day time only the AE is on.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #26
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
Its weird, I see all the euro bmw when they have their lights in AUTO, once they enter like a tunnel / underground parking lot, it will turn the xenon ON,=. But day time only the AE is on.
There is a setting in FRM2 and FRM3 that sets the AEs as DRLs (VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL = drl_s). That's probably what you need if your headlights are part of your DRL.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #27
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
I think the variance is either too small to make a noticeable difference, or those settings actually do nothing at all.
I turned this on on my car and compared the effects. The difference is VERY noticeable. It greatly changed how early in the evening the lights come on automatically.

However I "reset" my modules after doing so via coding, while I was also enabling "variable light distribution" and adding High Beam Assist.

The OP posted that his lights stay on all day long when set to auto.

Mine NEVER do, even when overcast, with or without daytime driving lights turned on (Angel Eyes only).

I leave my lights set to "auto" all the time. The only time I see them come on during the day is when I enter an unlit tunnel or an underground parking garage.

It also seems that the RLS is able to determine the difference between sunlight and artificial light, since my lights do not come on if I park in an above ground facility that has outdoor openings at similar light levels to an underground. I did notice RLS parameters for color temp sensitivities btw.

Since the RLS is the primary control trigger for all of this, I suspect that the OP's RLS module is not working properly given his results and prior postings.
Appreciate 0