BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Battery size for X1 F48: 70Ah EFB vs 80Ah AGM

09-28-2024, 02:23 AM   #23
LarzWalker
The New Guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW x1 xDrive28i mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarzWalker View Post
It matters country of origin and delivery and also the package level. Like I have a 2016 F48 mSport and it came with the 80ah so there's room but it also needs the extra cold cranking amps for the enhanced suspension and transmission as well as upgraded lighting packages. So you should go down to 70 as your battery life and performance will suffer. I'm getting ready to order and it's actually cheaper right now to order the OEM BMW batteries. Between $185-220. Aftermarket are averaging around $300. I also only had SAE and metric sockets and wrenches so I'm ordering an etorx set that includes all the torks drivers too. But I simply can't afford this 2016 and all the gremlins in the electrical system if I don't do most of the non mechanical repairs myself.

Good luck with your x1. I really love mine I just got stuck with some expensive repairs they hid well. Lol

Regards,
Larz
$$$$$$$$ UPDATE $$$$$$$$$

As a disclaimer to anything I say these days. Lol I recently had to retire on disability at the pinnacle of a 25+ year career in technology. One of those guys who used to be fairly intelligent. But I keep making dumb mistakes like this.

When I posted. I had done tons of research cuz the next gut punch in this 3 week old x1 mSport LEMON SERIES I've been blessed with. Lol But yeah, before I can start the other $10,000 in work the dealer hid 90% of from me. I have to replace the battery at the end of three weeks ownership.But again, I'm literally going in for a neurologist appointment because I think I'm losing time after feeling like my memory had gone seriously wacky.

Those prices and the BMW dealer OEM specials. They either require local pickup in South Dakota or something and I'm in Virginia. Lol Or they're $250 with $500 shipping. But they all, even USED but clean batts are between about $500 (used) to $900 or $1000 for BMW OEM 80ah AGM. But I'm not prepared to pay that when this bucket is never gonna be sellable most likely. They'll have to bury me in it cuz I won't have anything left to buy my own casket. Lol

If I didn't clarify there. I'll usually correct my errors like here. Cuz eventually I'm actually buying tons of things. But if my statement makes no sense. Wait for another answer. 🤔

For my next possible huge mistake. I'm gonna say AIN'T NO WAY I'm putting a grand into a battery. So I'm gonna buy a DURALAST PLATINUM H7-AGM with 850 CCA and if I can wait until Tuesday I get $55 off for home delivery. But I'm pretty sure it's gonna be dead in the morning. Last week it was at 75%, yesterday at 71% and it was hard to start. Today I had a volt meter in the cigarette lighter hole when I tried to start the x1 it was slow to start turning over again. It seems like it's getting a quick boost from somewhere cuz the volt meter 3 seconds after starting still hadn't hit 12. It was at 11.2 volts when it started. I also noticed it was at 11.5 last night when it had trouble.

But advance auto is a mile away and has 5 in stock for $259 each plus $22 core and tax. I'm gonna keep the OEM 80ah and see if I can rebuild it and have a spare in case somebody needs a short term loaner or something.

Interesting early onset alzheimers note. I forgot to order the battery two days ago. But I did order the NOCO 40 with 1000amps and I can safely jump the x1 in the morning and use it to keep power to the truck systems while I pull old battery and install the new one. I've heard varying horror stories about losing power to the truck systems and if it happens at the wrong time or the wrong way. It might even fry all your ECUs so you can't even flash and reinstall. Making your car a huge paperweight. But I'm definitely getting this battery and attempting to install and register it tomorrow. More to come. (Just went to unbox and charge the NOCO for morning. And I left the effing thing in the truck in the parking lot. Now I have to walk another 100 yards on my foot amputation I'm not supposed to be putting any weight on, cuz I'm losing my frigging mind and can't remember to go to the bathroom while I'm sitting on the toilet. Lol I'll be like "where am I? Why are my pants down? Lol anyway.

Larz

Last edited by LarzWalker; 09-28-2024 at 02:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2024, 11:42 PM   #24
Cuxhaven
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3 F25, F48

I have a 2017 which holds the 80ah H7. I ended up replacing the battery 3 years ago. Walmart Battery H7 AGM I think it was $150 and the battery still works great! A lot cheaper than Costco and other auto part stores.

Last edited by Cuxhaven; 09-28-2024 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2024, 02:12 AM   #25
giovannidallebandenere
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 LCI My20 18D xDrive

Hi All, I'm new and sorry for my poor English, my X1 is 5 years old and has about 33,000 km, and I still have the original battery that seems to be still going well. Can anyone tell me when I should change it to avoid unexpected nasty surprises?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2024, 02:22 AM   #26
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannidallebandenere View Post
Hi All, I'm new and sorry for my poor English, my X1 is 5 years old and has about 33,000 km, and I still have the original battery that seems to be still going well. Can anyone tell me when I should change it to avoid unexpected nasty surprises?
Especially AGM should last atleast 7 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2024, 03:22 AM   #27
giovannidallebandenere
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 LCI My20 18D xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
Especially AGM should last atleast 7 years.
Ok thanks a lot for the tip!
Appreciate 0