BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 1st timer in need of guidance

10-14-2024, 09:57 PM   #1
TristynAshley
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive 2018

Unhappy 1st timer in need of guidance

It's just been one thing after another with my 2018 X1 xDrive. Trying to figure out the [most] current issue and looking for advice, please.

Purchased X1 used Oct '22, 18k miles. Bought from dealer in Ohio, but this vehicle came from Canada.
  • Within 2 months, it's shooting all kinds of error codes and auto-braking on me - terrifying as a first BMW purchase. I found that the rear left wheel speed sensor had not been properly routed and was resting against the inner wheel, becoming worn through. Easy replace, but took a long time to figure out because the error codes were so random.

At only 29k miles, it wants me to replace the rear brakes. Seems early, but fine. (included photo below from this job as reference point PRE-RUST)

At 34k miles, I had to replace the rear left wheel hub! Had that telling deep drone. Intimidating job, but I got it done. Sound completely gone.

At 41k miles, I start getting brake pulsations. I am an extremely gentle driver and I coast A LOT. Maximizing fuel economy has become a game for me. There should be no freaking way my rotors are overheating and warping.

At 42k miles, my rear left [runflat] tire wears through. As I'm taking it off to put my spare on, I am horrified to find that the entire circumference of inner edge of BOTH rear tires is so worn that it looks like someone was working on cutting off the inner sidewalls of both (I regret to say that I forgot to take a photo of these tires). I bought a new set of [4] Pirelli WeatherActives, and had them mounted and balanced at a shop. Paid for alignment only to be told that just the rear right was minorly out. Then why the hell do the old tires look like they've been on a wood lathe? Still don't know. Thoughts on this one appreciated!

Going back to the brake pulsations: I asked that shop to check my rotors with a dial-indicator while they had my tires off; I don't have that tool. Those MFs took it for a test drive! I limped that shredded tire straight to them after the first one blew, but I guess they're feeling lucky. Told me they'd replace my rotors and brake pads for $1K! Fat chance. $446 for Brembo & Akebono on RockAuto. They didn't even do what I asked them to with the dial indicator. To top it off, they broke one of my jack points and lied to my face when I asked what they torqued my wheel bolts to. I measured break-torque on one of my rear left bolts at over 200 ft-lbs. Charlatans! This is why I do my own work. I'm livid.

While looking around wheelwells for evidence of problems, I am shocked at the level of rust. This car has 42k, but looks twice as old as my last Acura at 150k! I just don't understand. I am so fed up. I thought I was putting my money into a good vehicle, but everything is going to shit and it's still very new. I do not understand this level of rust. It is incomprehensible. Can someone take a look at my attached photos and tell me I'm not crazy?

At this point, I'm resigned to the fact that I will need new rotors and break pads - even though I just replaced the rear pads 13k miles ago . But is something wrong with my brake caliper? They are SO rusty. Is it worth spending hours rust-busting & painting, or are they too far gone? Buy new ones and paint those? On the topic of buying new ones, at FCP Euro, why is the rear left brake caliper "SOLD OUT, NO BACKORDER, NO ETA"? (They do have rear rights.) And all of my problems have been with the rear left wheel? Coincidence???

But I really want to know WHY. It seems like there is something bigger going on, and I don't want to just say "good enough" and have these exact same problems come back up in another 13k miles. I can't keep spending this kind of money replacing parts over and over again.

Attached Images

Last edited by TristynAshley; 10-15-2024 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:28 AM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristynAshley View Post
It's just been one thing after another with my 2018 X1 xDrive. Trying to figure out the [most] current issue and looking for advice, please.

Purchased X1 used Oct '22, 18k miles. Bought from dealer in Ohio, but this vehicle came from Canada.
  • Within 2 months, it's shooting all kinds of error codes and auto-braking on me - terrifying as a first BMW purchase. I found that the rear left wheel speed sensor had not been properly routed and was resting against the inner wheel, becoming worn through. Easy replace, but took a long time to figure out because the error codes were so random.

At only 29k miles, it wants me to replace the rear brakes. Seems early, but fine. (included photo below from this job as reference point PRE-RUST)

At 34k miles, I had to replace the rear left wheel hub! Had that telling deep drone. Intimidating job, but I got it done. Sound completely gone.

At 41k miles, I start getting brake pulsations. I am an extremely gentle driver and I coast A LOT. Maximizing fuel economy has become a game for me. There should be no freaking way my rotors are overheating and warping.

At 42k miles, my rear left [runflat] tire wears through. As I'm taking it off to put my spare on, I am horrified to find that the entire circumference of inner edge of BOTH rear tires is so worn that it looks like someone was working on cutting off the inner sidewalls of both (I regret to say that I forgot to take a photo of these tires). I bought a new set of [4] Pirelli WeatherActives, and had them mounted and balanced at a shop. Paid for alignment only to be told that just the rear right was minorly out. Then why the hell do the old tires look like they've been on a wood lathe? Still don't know. Thoughts on this one appreciated!

Going back to the brake pulsations: I asked that shop to check my rotors with a dial-indicator while they had my tires off; I don't have that tool. Those MFs took it for a test drive! I limped that shredded tire straight to them after the first one blew, but I guess they're feeling lucky. Told me they'd replace my rotors and brake pads for $1K! Fat chance. $446 for Brembo & Akebono on RockAuto. They didn't even do what I asked them to with the dial indicator. To top it off, they broke one of my jack points and lied to my face when I asked what they torqued my wheel bolts to. I measured break-torque on one of my rear left bolts at over 200 ft-lbs. Charlatans! This is why I do my own work. I'm livid.

While looking around wheelwells for evidence of problems, I am shocked at the level of rust. This car has 42k, but looks twice as old as my last Acura at 150k! I just don't understand. I am so fed up. I thought I was putting my money into a good vehicle, but everything is going to shit and it's still very new. I do not understand this level of rust. It is incomprehensible. Can someone take a look at my attached photos and tell me I'm not crazy?

At this point, I'm resigned to the fact that I will need new rotors and break pads - even though I just replaced the rear pads 13k miles ago . But is something wrong with my brake caliper? They are SO rusty. Is it worth spending hours rust-busting & painting, or are they too far gone? Buy new ones and paint those? On the topic of buying new ones, at FCP Euro, why is the rear left brake caliper "SOLD OUT, NO BACKORDER, NO ETA"? (They do have rear rights.) And all of my problems have been with the rear left wheel? Coincidence???

But I really want to know WHY. It seems like there is something bigger going on, and I don't want to just say "good enough" and have these exact same problems come back up in another 13k miles. I can't keep spending this kind of money replacing parts over and over again.

Firstly, welcome to the forum and sorry you have had problems. With regard to the run flats, this sounds like a classic case of under inflation, which causes all the car load to be carried on the reinforced outer wall. Lesson is make sure you inflate to correct pressure as low pressure does not show as with conventional tires/tyres. With regard to other issues, imho this will be down to car driving in very heavily salted roads and the previous owner not taking any care to clean. Why the worst area in right rear, I have no idea. Anyhow looking at general corrosion, I would try and treat/sort.
Appreciate 0