BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2019 F48 Rear Main Seal and Coolant leaks?

10-17-2024, 12:35 AM   #1
bmarkoco
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (f48)

2019 F48 Rear Main Seal and Coolant leaks?

Brought our X1 to the dealer for an oil change and they are saying it has a rear main seal leak as well as a coolant leak. They quoted $6500 to repair both. I’m bringing it to an independent shop for a 2nd opinion, but they (the Indy shop) told me that rear main seal leaks are not very common, but oil pan seal leaks are.

Any way to tell if these leaks seem like they are oil pan seal or rear main seal from the photos? What about the coolant leak? Is this common? And ballpark how much should I be looking at to fix these? $6500 seems totally crazy.
Attached Images

Last edited by bmarkoco; 10-17-2024 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2024, 03:10 PM   #2
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

That first picture def. looks like it's coming from between the engine and transmission. Better pictures would help.

What's the green stuff in the second picture?
That looks like the oil cooler housing. Yes, this is a common coolant leak area.

If you do indeed need the rear main seal the engine/transmission must be removed from the vehicle and then separated. The seal is on the backside of the engine between the engine/transmission.

I don't know what it should cost but it's a PITA job, how much do you think you would charge? LOL
Appreciate 0