E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine Tick noise / VANOS / Rough Idle

05-12-2024, 12:04 PM   #1
ros860
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e92

Engine Tick noise / VANOS / Rough Idle

Been trouble shooting some of these issues.

I own a 2011 BMW 335xi
Codes:
2C58 - Charging Pressure control: Switch-off as consequential reaction
2D54 - Variable camshaft timing control (VANOS) exhaust, cold start not controllable.

I replaced the boost solenoid in case that was bad for the first code (2C58) than that second code was present after I replaced that. I have 2 vanos solenoids ordered, but what I hear is a loud tick noise after ACCELERATION. I rev the engine to around 2000RPM and it is very present.

It also has a very rough idle on start up, dropping down to 500RPM and all the way up to 1500RPM.

I know its not the BMW tick that every BMW has because it just started happening. Anyone have any ideas if a bad vanos would make that sound or what else it could be? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 12:59 PM   #2
mictang
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Bad VANOS can definitely cause rough idle; I ended up replacing the head on my N52 because of a rather bad idle from worn cam ledges. (N54 cam ledges can be replaced independently)

Since you only have code on one side, a simple test is to swap intake and exhaust VANOS solenoids and see if the code changes side, if it does then you most likely only have a bad solenoid.

If solenoids are not the problem, my diagnostic route was VANOS filter, oil pressure, VANOS actuator (timing chain wheel on front of cam), and ledge itself.

You can also go into INPA/ISTA and look at cam angles. If they fluctuate more than a couple of degrees, there is a problem.
Appreciate 1
Cal122203.50
      05-12-2024, 03:55 PM   #3
ros860
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e92

I have the solenoids ordered anyways to see if that fixes the rough idle. What worries me is the tick, as it’s almost a knocking noise but only when I get up in the RPM’s.
Appreciate 0