BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Car dies on Eco Pro

12-04-2023, 03:53 AM   #1
DaysOff
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 Sdrive

Car dies on Eco Pro

It's not hard to make jokes about Eco Pro. From what I gather, folks buy this car to drive, not sip gas. I'm one of those who much prefers to drive the car in sport mode.

Over the past few months I noticed the turbo wastegate noise making an increasingly amount of noise. It almost sounds like a horse neighing when I let off the accelerator. A local shop that specializes in German autos confirmed this noise, while a bit funny, is normal. The other day I decided to investigate the level of this noise on the three different settings...sport, comfort, and eco pro. As suspected, it was loudest when in sport mode and non-existent when in eco pro mode.

After a stint of city driving, I was on the highway for about an hour. I decided to leave the car in eco pro. I was cruising along around 120 km/hr about 5 minutes out from my destination when the car suddenly lost power. I rolled over to the shoulder and tried to figure out what happened. After a minute or two of diagnostics, I hit the start button and the car fired right up.

I proceeded along my way and again a few minutes later, the car died. Same deal. I started it back up and proceeded to put it in sport mode.

So...is this a sign from the almighty that I should just leave it in sport mode? Or is the noise from the turbo a sign that something is amiss? I'm not sure why the car died, but it seems like maybe it wasn't getting enough air? Please don't tell me I need to dump a few grand into a new turbo!

Any thoughts as to what would cause the car to die in eco pro mode while at highway cruising speeds?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 11:27 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I can’t tell from your description if the engine is turning off when you come to a stop (as it is designed to do in Eco Pro mode)…or if the engine is dying on you while you are applying the gas pedal.

You do know about the auto stop/start mode when in Eco Pro mode, right? And I believe there’s a coast mode, too. Again, this is not what is happening when you describe the engine turning off?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 11:29 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I can’t tell from your description if the engine is turning off when you come to a stop (as it is designed to do in Eco Pro mode)…or if the engine is dying on you while you are applying the gas pedal.

You do know about the auto stop/start mode when in Eco Pro mode, right? And I believe there’s a coast mode, too. Again, this is not what is happening when you describe the engine turning off?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0