BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Software update

07-14-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
Semi Retired
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xline xdrive White

Software update

Can any one help, since having a new screen fitted two weeks ago, I'm having issues with the the idrive/connected drive crashing every few miles. I have had Auto Windscreens back to the vehicle yesterday and they have checked out all their work concerning recalibration via the OBD port and everything checks out, but still the system keeps crashing. I have now booked the vehicle in for an overdue break fluid change second one at five years and diagnostic check for the idrive and yes I know I can already see the £ sign rolling round. A friend of mine says that it's possible to download the latest software update to a USB drive and then update the current software, does anyone know if this is even possible and how I might access it. It might just be that an update might fix the problem of the system crashing, any thoughts from you many tec guys out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Retired View Post
Can any one help, since having a new screen fitted two weeks ago, I'm having issues with the the idrive/connected drive crashing every few miles. I have had Auto Windscreens back to the vehicle yesterday and they have checked out all their work concerning recalibration via the OBD port and everything checks out, but still the system keeps crashing. I have now booked the vehicle in for an overdue break fluid change second one at five years and diagnostic check for the idrive and yes I know I can already see the £ sign rolling round. A friend of mine says that it's possible to download the latest software update to a USB drive and then update the current software, does anyone know if this is even possible and how I might access it. It might just be that an update might fix the problem of the system crashing, any thoughts from you many tec guys out there.
Your friend will most likely be referring to smartphone, music player software update as follows:

Systems for smartphones, music players and tablets are developing all the time. This is why BMW Software Update ensures that your applications and your BMW always keep pace with the latest advances. That way you can use mobile devices in your vehicle at any given time.

Refer to:

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

You will most likely need the ECU updated for the idrive problem, if it keeps crashing and is not attributable to the windscreen replacement. Normally done at a dealership. Having said that, I suggest you read through the following link:
https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owne...e-upgrade.html that says:

HOW TO CHECK?Remote Software Upgrade How to check
You can perform the following test to determine whether your car is compatible with Remote Software Upgrade.

Select the following in the Menu:

My Car > Settings > General Settings > Remote Software Upgrade

If Remote Software Upgrade is not shown, the car is not compatible with Remote Software Upgrade. The Remote Software Upgrade is factory installed, a retrospective purchase is not possible due to hardware restrictions. If your car is not compatible, you can have the latest software installed at any time by your retailer. (Costs may apply. Please contact your preferred BMW Centre for more information).
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-14-2021 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
Semi Retired
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xline xdrive White

Hi Peter thanks for the info I'll certainly investigate what you suggest, puzzling if this issue is related to the screen replacement or just an unlucky coincidence, Auto Windscreens suggest the later as you might expect, we'll have to wait and see, I've made the dealer aware of the facts so let's see what happens
Appreciate 0