BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Burger Tuning JB4 install on B48 X2 m35i

06-11-2021, 03:11 PM   #485
samzor
Rep
Drives: BMW X2m35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I think you need to do some more reading and decide for yourself. In my opinion a true full ECU flash *IF* done correctly will always be better, HOWEVER if that flash has bad values it will definitely hurt the engine as it is rewriting the base programming of the car itself. The piggybacks are a little more standard, and some like the JB4 has a built in failsafe. The piggyback intercepts signals to sensors so the car's ECU will compensate for it. *IF* the piggyback has a way to failsafe .. or the signal is so far off that even with the piggyback's signal being off chart it will still hit the car's ECU limit and failsafe by default (ECU wise).

The JB4 does have this failsafe feature within it's own software and seems to be fine if you don't go setting that boost limit too high. That coupled with not a lot of ECU flashing available, AND the fact that BMW could potentially flash/lock the ECU which would render any of the ECU flash invalid is why I chose to keep with the JB4 for now.
Ok I see. So there isnt any modification at all.So if I remove JB4, its like nothing was changed, right ? Is the JB4 available in europe ? And may I ask you the exact name/link for the M35i please ?
Also do you think buying the BMW pedal tuner iw worth together with JB4 ?

Last edited by samzor; 06-11-2021 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #486
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by samzor View Post
Quote:
I think you need to do some more reading and decide for yourself. In my opinion a true full ECU flash *IF* done correctly will always be better, HOWEVER if that flash has bad values it will definitely hurt the engine as it is rewriting the base programming of the car itself. The piggybacks are a little more standard, and some like the JB4 has a built in failsafe. The piggyback intercepts signals to sensors so the car's ECU will compensate for it. *IF* the piggyback has a way to failsafe .. or the signal is so far off that even with the piggyback's signal being off chart it will still hit the car's ECU limit and failsafe by default (ECU wise).

The JB4 does have this failsafe feature within it's own software and seems to be fine if you don't go setting that boost limit too high. That coupled with not a lot of ECU flashing available, AND the fact that BMW could potentially flash/lock the ECU which would render any of the ECU flash invalid is why I chose to keep with the JB4 for now.
Ok I see. So there isnt any modification at all.So if I remove JB4, its like nothing was changed, right ? Is the JB4 available in europe ? And may I ask you the exact name/link for the M35i please ?
See my posts, have both pedal and JB4 from Burger.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #487
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

You gained 3 PSI on map 0 stock only with sexy midpipe?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #488
samzor
Rep
Drives: BMW X2m35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21M235IXGC View Post
I still have my drop in k&n style filter in ( BMC ) curious to see if I install my bmw intake how it will feel . ???

Probably gonna drive it like it is for rite now in a week maybe I'll install the bms intake and see how it goes with that on . More air out now might swell put more air in .. I will go easy at first and stay on map 0 with the bms intake to make sure I have no lean conditions thow .

I love this car ❤️❤️
I,am on M35i. on Akrapovic exhaust.I love the sound.Cant wait to order pedal+jb4 and install it !
May I ask you which software do you use for seeing psi etc ?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 07:14 PM   #489
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have the pedal tuner called the pedal box from DTE out of England and they shipped to me and honestly I ❤️ it .

Honestly it help reduce the pedal lag and tried it without it and couldn't live without it .

The JB4 is thew burgertuning

https://burgertuning.com/search?q=f44&type=product

I also have the jntake aswell .

Thanks Marc
Finally had the day iff and had my muffler shop weld on new quad tips and install my supersprint midpipe .

Boosting 25-26.5psi on map 0 , AFR perfect

Sounds amazing s pops and crackles are 40% louder which is exactly what I wanted . Win win today ❤️

[IMG][/IMG]
Additional pics
Where the sounds clips ????????
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 08:11 PM   #490
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownLSX View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have the pedal tuner called the pedal box from DTE out of England and they shipped to me and honestly I ❤️ it .

Honestly it help reduce the pedal lag and tried it without it and couldn't live without it .

The JB4 is thew burgertuning

https://burgertuning.com/search?q=f44&type=product

I also have the jntake aswell .

Thanks Marc
Finally had the day iff and had my muffler shop weld on new quad tips and install my supersprint midpipe .

Boosting 25-26.5psi on map 0 , AFR perfect

Sounds amazing s pops and crackles are 40% louder which is exactly what I wanted . Win win today ❤️

[IMG][/IMG]
Additional pics
Where the sounds clips ????????
It won't let me post a video , I can email it 🤷
DM me on gram @zm_house
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:24 AM   #491
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Can you create a new thread on midpipe and parts required? This thread is so cluttered.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:52 AM   #492
CPWillys
Rep
Drives: 2020 Clubman JCW

Brainerd Track Day

I took my car out to Brainerd Internation Raceway this past weekend to race on the road course, the track is 2.5 miles and each session was 20 minutes.

As the day warmed up I had an issue with low boost, I determined that the engine would limit boost once the water temp exceeded 235F. This final run was around 77 ambient, I ran Map 0 to see if it would have less heat, but it still pulled boost after a few laps.

More cooling is needed for track days!

Updated with additional log sensors.
Attached Images

Last edited by CPWillys; 06-15-2021 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
CSBM52695.50
      06-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #493
CPWillys
Rep

Quote:
Can you do a screen shot of your JB4 mobile screen with these sensors selected , I'd like to see if the throttle is closing and such . I'll send u example of the sensors to select below please on that run .
Here is one with the waste gate included. The boost is being managed by the waste gate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #494
CPWillys
Rep

Quote:
Kinda surprised about how your AFR are looking. 12.5 - 10's . I mean it's better rich than lean but kinda surprising how rich it is . I had to drop from map 2 to map 1 cus I was getting that rich Terry advised me .
These logs are on Map 0! I would guess it is running rich to help cool the hot engine?

I do not have the ewg hooked up, Terry told me not to. My take on JB4 support is that they roll the dice on how to respond to questions..

Your IAT is pretty high, do you know what your ambient temp was?

Last edited by CPWillys; 06-15-2021 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:00 PM   #495
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Nice to have more information. Limit factors, gahhhhh.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #496
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

If anyone is going to track this car I would of dumped the coolant and put 90% water and 10% bmw coolant.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 05:10 AM   #497
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I tested last summer stock and the car pulls some timing up top but didn’t seem to cut boost.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 11:03 AM   #498
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If anyone is going to track this car I would of dumped the coolant and put 90% water and 10% bmw coolant.
Blown , Can you still use water wetter in these cars ? , back in the days I used to use that additive with distilled water and worked great on my supercharged Rustang …
Absolutely
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:16 PM   #499
CPWillys
Rep

Quote:
Definitely boost looks very low , I couldn't see your ign 1 to see how the timing was ? , what gear were you in during that run ?

Is it boosting back to normal now or was this just during those runs were it started running low boost
The two lines on the graph are 3rd and 4th gear, timing looked normal, +6 Degrees. I attached the full Log for this session.

Boost is back to normal, it would only reduce pressure when the water temps exceeded 235F, as soon as it was lower it would return to high boost pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
Nice to have more information. Limit factors, gahhhhh.
The Limits of the JB4 shouldn't come into play here since I was on Map 0.

Quote:
This is a very good Idea, I may be back at the same track in Sept, If I go I will swap the coolant to test.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip P58_M1_R53_210612_1202.zip (79.1 KB, 21 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #500
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWillys View Post
...it would only reduce pressure when the water temps exceeded 235F, as soon as it was lower it would return to high boost pressure
Interesting!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:13 PM   #501
CPWillys
Rep

Here is a link to the video that coincides with the Logs, I haven't uploaded the second half yet.

HD and 4K are still Processing!

https://youtu.be/r7EyuS5tI-g
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 10:43 AM   #502
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Nice Video! It's a big bummer you went down to 14psi, I'm sure that was a pretty big dip in power. I will have to look at my logs again.. the only thing I have lately is my last pull (new phone). It was only one pull with water temps at 222, boost was maxed out at 24.5 IAT all the way down to 112. I am pretty sure ambient was in the 90's as that was heatwave week.

Actually come to think of it.. if you're on a JCW then stock boost would probably be around 16psi or so. I can never remember what the factory boost would be on the "standard b48". So maybe it wasn't that horrible with that last log since you were on map 0.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 10:57 AM   #503
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Wait, what? What version of the mini (name...) has our M35i engine?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #504
connerry330i
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' 330i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
Wait, what? What version of the mini (name...) has our M35i engine?
2020 JCW Clubman ( the 2 Series GC M35i is on this platform)

2020 JCW Countryman (...basically us. I test drove it twice. The platform actually suits it better, since it was created for MINI. )

..and the JCW MINI GP.
      06-17-2021, 01:01 PM   #505
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Oof I thought it was only the mini GP that had the same tuning.. well in that case 14psi is a big hit in boost..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 06:33 AM   #506
connerry330i
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' 330i XDrive

Quote:
Oof I thought it was only the mini GP that had the same tuning.. well in that case 14psi is a big hit in boost..
The Countryman's how I got here. I'd had my eye on the 2020 JCW for a while; package-wise there was more bang for the buck, plus I've loved Mini's since I was a kid in Jamaica. Helped that my wife was a huge fan as well. My deadline to buy came right as CA went into Covid lockdown last year, and the day I went to test drive the only JCW available locally, the damn car ran out of gas on the test drive...like, had to push it off the freeway with the sales kid. I felt bad for the guy so I didn't make a fuss, but I just decided to roll with BMW San Diego again and get the X2.

Still love 'em, though. I'd bag a GP right now if my wife wouldn't skewer me for it. That's why it's so infuriating that there's not much available performance-wise for the engine other than JB4, et al.

Last edited by connerry330i; 06-18-2021 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 1