BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition New fitness tracker needed, recommendations please

02-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

New fitness tracker needed, recommendations please

So my good Gear Fit 2 watch starts quitting its duty after few years in service, the battery lasts under full required actions less than 20 hours and thats much too less.
Considering battery exchange and replacement but this will cost me around 70 bucks and maybe cheaper to buy new, on the flipside its maybe time for something other.

What I need:
Tracking of HB, BP, steps, baro, stop watch, time, coloured display, recognition of workout, BT, WLAN on desire, internal MP3 player, be able to work stand alone w/o cell phone.

What I don't need:
No feeds, texts, weather, GPS, social media crap, NFC pay and NO Apple sh*t.

Price ceiling no more than 250,- bucks.
Your suggestions please, thank you in advance.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I still like my Fitbit Ionic, mostly because it added water resistance to the mix, and I can track my run without my phone (built in GPS)

I got it as a gift, so not sure how much it was. Notifications and all that other BS are configurable to receive or not.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      02-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I use the Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music. Has majority of what you're looking for right on your budget. Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      02-14-2020, 02:52 AM   #4
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Fitbit Ionic
Definitely into range, my company offers benefits for this brand and the lowered price is slight below limit. I was first looking for Versa 2, but was not too convinced.

Questions:

- I read that battery lasts up to 4 days (depends onto your usage) but with GPS enabled only up to 10 hours. Whats your average duration, lets say with BT and music partly on?

- Its watertight up to 50m, that means you haven't to remove the watch for going under shower?

- Displaying workouts, heartbeattrends and so on; graphic or just scaled per day?

- Do you own the previous model or Ionic 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music
Thank you for your offer, here goes:

- List says battery time 7 days under smartwatch mode und just 4 hours with GPS and music? That seems quite poor for this watch. Im sure you could offer better experience, no?

- Connect IQ shop: Access free or do I have to abo or pay else for it?

- Pre installed apps: If I won't use them and do just a long work out into the gym, does the watch count and display not pre-selected values though?

I had looked first for the Garmin Forerunner 645 music but read several very critic comments and so I went off this brand. You're right, the watch offers very much gadgets, more as I'd asked.

Will get hands on both this weekend, thank you.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox

Last edited by Dang3r; 02-14-2020 at 03:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 06:20 AM   #5
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Definitely into range, my company offers benefits for this brand and the lowered price is slight below limit. I was first looking for Versa 2, but was not too convinced.

Questions:

- I read that battery lasts up to 4 days (depends onto your usage) but with GPS enabled only up to 10 hours. Whats your average duration, lets say with BT and music partly on?

- Its watertight up to 50m, that means you haven't to remove the watch for going under shower?

- Displaying workouts, heartbeattrends and so on; graphic or just scaled per day?

Thank you for your offer, here goes:

- List says battery time 7 days under smartwatch mode und just 4 hours with GPS and music? That seems quite poor for this watch. Im sure you could offer better experience, no?

- Connect IQ shop: Access free or do I have to abo or pay else for it?

- Pre installed apps: If I won't use them and do just a long work out into the gym, does the watch count and display not pre-selected values though?

I had looked first for the Garmin Forerunner 645 music but read several very critic comments and so I went off this brand. You're right, the watch offers very much gadgets, more as I'd asked.

Will get hands on both this weekend, thank you.
1) I'll be honest I've never used the music feature, although I do have it. I have used the GPS often and never realized it's affect on battery life. I would say I charge it on avg every 4-5 days. It charges to 100% in under an hour.

2) Little of both. Consider it the apple store or andriod. A lot of stuff is free, like different watch faces, fitness aps, etc. It has a lot of stuff on it.

3) The watch recognizes your activity to an extent. With that said it I haven't really checked to see if it notices the activity type. Essentially when your heart rate is elevated it tracks it as being active. More workouts typically go as follows. Cardio to start, so I select cardio on the watch (takes 3 seconds to do). Then I lift, so I select the weightlifting. Following that I run, so I'll select outdoor running which activates the GPS or treadmill running which will just track stride length, etc.

I like this watch because it is not overly large, and still looks professional so I can wear it at work and what not.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      02-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Wife just got a whoop. Tracks sleep and also provides some insight into how recovered you are for next workout.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post

Questions:

BT is always on, so I can get updates from ESPN and/or my text messages. I only enable GPS when I run. I typically charge about once a week, and for maybe 1 hour. I honestly don't know how often I charge. I did Wednesday night after work, and right now I'm at 84%.
I can swim laps, GPS enabled, and it's pretty close to telling me how many I swam. At the end typically the last lap counts as I step out of the pool. THAT was why I went Ionic.

There are SO many face choices. From the app, you scroll thru, pick the one you like, then sync the watch and that's what you have. I can do graphs of my exercise, sleep "scores" (although I don't know exactly how that is calculated) and time in each of the sleep stages.

I've had this 3 years on Father's day. The first one failed one night when I was going from jacuzzi to unheated pool. Just flat-out stopped working. After about 10 minutes on the phone troubleshooting, and they sent me a new one.
I noticed previously you asked about barometer? Sorry, don't see that as an option.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:37 AM   #8
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I noticed previously you asked about barometer? Sorry, don't see that as an option.
Don't worry, baro isn't a major must.

Had hands on several watches at the weekend, considered also a Polar, but those hadn't a mp3 player, so...

I'd choosen the Fitbit Ionic shown color combo, fits the best into my desires, thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:55 AM   #9
UnsuspectedForce
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the good tracker info.

Thanks for the good tracker info.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:56 AM   #10
UnsuspectedForce
Rep

I also go in for sports and like to run.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:58 AM   #11
UnsuspectedForce
Rep

With a dog it’s easier to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:59 AM   #12
UnsuspectedForce
Rep

She motivates me!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:02 AM   #13
UnsuspectedForce
Rep

But she still does not know how to run alongside, but runs away into the yards or behind cats and other dogs ((But it's good that I found a collar like this:
http://topanimalreview.com/articles/...ut-hassle.html
Now i'm running. We run for a long time next to the dog.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:03 AM   #14
UnsuspectedForce
Rep

I'm not afraid that she will run away
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:05 AM   #15
UnsuspectedForce
Rep

And I always have a good body and mood.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:07 AM   #16
UnsuspectedForce
Rep

I wish you to have a good body and enjoy life!)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #17
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsuspectedForce View Post
With a dog it’s easier to do.
You sick SOB. Oh wait, is this that troll issue that Minn so kindly explained to me?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 05:52 AM   #18
Namsen10
Rep

Apple watch will be good for you.
You can find more details here https://www.axa.com.sg/blog/health/b...stress-anxiety

Last edited by Namsen10; 04-11-2020 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:43 AM   #19
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsen10 View Post
Apple watch will be good for you
Apple sux and go around with that brand!

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #20
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I'm an Apple blowhard so I use an AppleWatch, but the WHOOP tracker does present an interesting alternative. I discovered it because several of the top PGA pros use it; although I wonder if its because it can be used in competition. I don't think an AppleWatch can be worn in competition because of its ability to assist play.

https://www.whoop.com
      04-23-2020, 01:32 AM   #21
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

One of my demands were a stand alone function totally w/o phone.
Aside of my never-ever-apple attitude I think, an Apple watch couldnt be match my requirement. Even I wear my tracker not for competions, its capable to display all my desired values with own software.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #22
ReyokDevil
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW Golf 1.6 TDI DSG

I'd just get a Fitbit Charge 3. It has more than enough features that you want and GPS when connected to your phone. It's really cheap compared to a lot of watches.
Appreciate 0