BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Is anyone else having throttle issues??

10-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #89
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep
Drives: X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Leonard View Post
To add fuel to this slowly burning fire...has anyone noticed how harsh the auto start-stop is? My friend has an F48 X1 and his is much smoother.

My guess is that all of these issues are connected somehow.
That start/stop thing the first thing I do is press disable. I had it on once to try it out and it's so harsh. At this point everything is harsh
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #90
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Set the car in comfort mode on my drive into work this morning. As I approached a major intersection, I took my foot off the accelerator and coasted along at about 10 Miles/hr (15 Km/hr) while checking for any traffic or pedestrians.
It was all clear. I then started to turn the steering wheel and pressed the accelerator as I normally do and .... a fxxking split second of hesitation.

What kind of moron programmed this car?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #91
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Set the car in comfort mode on my drive into work this morning. As I approached a major intersection, I took my foot off the accelerator and coasted along at about 10 Miles/hr (15 Km/hr) while checking for any traffic or pedestrians.
It was all clear. I then started to turn the steering wheel and pressed the accelerator as I normally do and .... a fxxking split second of hesitation.

What kind of moron programmed this car?
Even if you don't coast it still happens well at least for me. I'm really hoping that BMW didn't fxxk up on the F44 M235i. I have a huge feeling BMW won't even care to fix it. Only reason why the Recalled the X1 for the B pillars was because the national Highway Institution of Safety told them to do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:11 AM   #92
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X2 M35i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazonyoursix View Post
The jerking forward thing even happens while in sport for me. I have to put a big gap between the car in front and mine. It's not really fun when I'm coming to a lower speed. I also find it dumb about the whole decoupling issue. Why offer it on a performance model that's pushing 300+ HP. Offer that feature on the 28i.
Same here in Sport mode. This is why I don't use sport mode in traffic.
Same here. It happens in all three driving modes. I can feel the transmission disengage (auto engine off is turned off) when I'm coasting and come to a stop.

The only thing that stops it is when I put the shifter in M/S manual and use the paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #93
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greco DC View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The jerking forward thing even happens while in sport for me. I have to put a big gap between the car in front and mine. It's not really fun when I'm coming to a lower speed. I also find it dumb about the whole decoupling issue. Why offer it on a performance model that's pushing 300+ HP. Offer that feature on the 28i.
Same here in Sport mode. This is why I don't use sport mode in traffic.
Same here. It happens in all three driving modes. I can feel the transmission disengage (auto engine off is turned off) when I'm coasting and come to a stop.

The only thing that stops it is when I put the shifter in M/S manual and use the paddle shifters.
Even with the M/S manual engaged it happens.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #94
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I definitely don't notice it disengage in sport mode, and surely not with the paddles. For me I can literally let off the brake and it'll start rolling immediately like a normal car.... vs in comfort mode I can feel the clunk before the transmission is online. It's weird that you guys still feel it in sport. In theory with the manual I was reading, only in eco mode will it free wheel the transmission... and in comfort, I believe it's only disengaging at "stop" so the car doesn't vibrate as much.

Annoying a teeny bit, as today I even put it in sport mode as I was getting ready to fly into traffic and there still was a little dead spot before the car got moving. Well the pedal tuner is coming it, hopefully it makes it a lot more manageable. Frankly I've gotten used to all the behavior for the most part... until something like this happens again and makes me have that little pucker moment when the car isn't moving when I want it to.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:10 PM   #95
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep

In Eco Pro mode, try creeping along in traffic with your foot barely on the brake pedal. Especially on a slight uphill.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #96
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
It stays engaged in sport, you can feel it, when the exhaust valve opens you can also feel a slight vibration through the wheel. That’s because the engine is still engaged. You can also see a slight rpm tick.

Change modes while you’re at a light and you’ll feel it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 08:17 AM   #97
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

Okay, so after driving the car for a few hundred miles, I can confirm the issue. I don't think it's the transmission decoupling, however. You can feel that happen in EcoPlus as there's a distinct feeling through the drivetrain in EcoPlus that isn't characteristic of the other drive modes.

To be honest, I think what we're feeling is a result of the car being low in the RPM range in Sport and Comfort mods. So when you left off the throttle and then hit the gas, it takes a moment to figure out what it wants to do. It's part engine, part ECU.

To solve this -- at least in traffic -- I leave the transmission is S mode. It holds the revs out a little longer than I'd like (shifts at 4100 at part throttle), but it's actually fine for traffic because you're engine braking and coasting through traffic. Then, when you want to lunge into a spot, the car is read and willing.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #98
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdandpwr View Post
Okay, so after driving the car for a few hundred miles, I can confirm the issue. I don't think it's the transmission decoupling, however. You can feel that happen in EcoPlus as there's a distinct feeling through the drivetrain in EcoPlus that isn't characteristic of the other drive modes.

To be honest, I think what we're feeling is a result of the car being low in the RPM range in Sport and Comfort mods. So when you left off the throttle and then hit the gas, it takes a moment to figure out what it wants to do. It's part engine, part ECU.

To solve this -- at least in traffic -- I leave the transmission is S mode. It holds the revs out a little longer than I'd like (shifts at 4100 at part throttle), but it's actually fine for traffic because you're engine braking and coasting through traffic. Then, when you want to lunge into a spot, the car is read and willing.
Agreed on all points. S mode is the best way to drive it in traffic and be assured that the vehicle will respond appropriately.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #99
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdandpwr View Post

Yeah, in comfort or ecopro, there is a deadspace up to about 1/4 depression of the accelerator pedal. Would be nice if BMW could linearize this input response map with a software update or something.

Sport mode is nice, but I think we all paid (quite a premium) for comfort and ecopro to work properly as well. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 11:47 AM   #100
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
Thing is, it’s a flaw of this platform. There were a lot of complaints on the x1 in 16 as well. I think it’s just magnified by the explosive torque in our cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #101
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Thing is, it’s a flaw of this platform. There were a lot of complaints on the x1 in 16 as well. I think it’s just magnified by the explosive torque in our cars.
Do you know if it is still a problem for 17+ models?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #102
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
No clue, I drove a ‘16 for 40k miles and didn’t find it as bad as others but a lot of folks on bimmerfest complained. I suppose you could ask in the x1 forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:10 PM   #103
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Just to fill you in on the regenerative issue. Had to go out of town for a week so I hooked up the battery tender just to keep it tip top. The transmission still disengages the same...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #104
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Rats a busted theory. Still, good information thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 03:27 PM   #105
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep

I just spent an hour in stop and go traffic and experienced the throttle lag issue at least a dozen times. The more I drive it, the less I think it's an issue with the transmission disengaging. Here's why:

When starting to move after a complete stop, when I lift my foot off the break pedal, I almost instantly feel a small (barely noticeable) jolt which I imagine is the transmission re-engaging. (By the way, it's the same jolt I felt right after I came to a compete stop at the stop sign, which I imagine is the transmission disengaging). After I feel the transmission re-engage, I depress the accelerator and STILL there is a lag of 1-3 seconds before the car actually accelerates.

Is this what others are experiencing too?

And yes, engine auto-off is deactivated and I've experienced this issue in all driving modes.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52665.50
      10-31-2019, 03:36 PM   #106
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I just spent an hour in stop and go traffic and experienced the throttle lag issue at least a dozen times. The more I drive it, the less I think it's an issue with the transmission disengaging. Here's why:

When starting to move after a complete stop, when I lift my foot off the break pedal, I almost instantly feel a small (barely noticeable) jolt which I imagine is the transmission re-engaging. (By the way, it's the same jolt I felt right after I came to a compete stop at the stop sign, which I imagine is the transmission disengaging). After I feel the transmission re-engage, I depress the accelerator and STILL there is a lag of 1-3 seconds before the car actually accelerates.

And yes, engine auto-off is deactivated and I've experienced this issue in all driving modes.
You can feel that same 'small jolt' when at a complete stop (with brakes fully depressed) and you switch from SPORT mode to COMFORT.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52665.50
      10-31-2019, 03:41 PM   #107
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You can feel that same 'small jolt' when at a complete stop (with brakes fully depressed) and you switch from SPORT mode to COMFORT.
Accurate
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 04:46 PM   #108
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

Yeah, I feel like a shudder when I come to a stop in any drive mode. In EcoPro it's a different feeling, though. I wonder if there's two Start/Stop systems...one is the engine, one is some other auxiliary items? So, even with Start/Stop deactivated, you still get it.

It's unfortunate that this feedback never makes its way back to BMW...instead people just sell the car, get something else, and never come back to the brand. The surveys they deploy are generic and stupid and clearly written by people who don't know crap about cars.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #109
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep

I still get the issue from time to time. Legit the only thing that you could do is just keep the car in sport transmission. Really upset at the result that BMW didn't put the thought and testing into these cars because they have other models that have the same so why test it so much. I'm an automotive enthusiast and I truly Love BMW but they let the ball down on this whole debacle. I know everyone is frustrated about it but just seems like we aren't really going to get a fix for this.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #110
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I still get the issue from time to time. Legit the only thing that you could do is just keep the car in sport transmission. Really upset at the result that BMW didn't put the thought and testing into these cars because they have other models that have the same so why test it so much. I'm an automotive enthusiast and I truly Love BMW but they let the ball down on this whole debacle. I know everyone is frustrated about it but just seems like we aren't really going to get a fix for this.
Yeah. I really wish I had driven it in city conditions during my test drive. Instead I drove it like a bat out of hell and was ear to ear smiles due to its handling and power. Live and learn.

Have you considered filing a complaint with the NHTSA like I did?
Appreciate 0