BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) The F48 & Apple CarPlay - MJE60 guide

02-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #1
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

The F48 & Apple CarPlay - MJE60 guide

Many owners of 2017-2019 F48 ask if Apple CarPlay can be installed in their (X1) or X2, or why they are denied an OTA (over the air) subscription in the BMW “connected drive” store.

The quick answer is, that to get CarPlay in an F48 it depended on build date, for mid 2017 to late 2018 cars they originally had to have been factory installed or for the few “fully loaded” car with correct options BMW would provide CarPlay through an OTA subscription. Then for late 2018 and 2019 built models, owners were only able to order OTA CarPlay via BMW “connected drive” if the car had factory build option 6CP (car play preparation). Luckily from Aug 2019 it became possible (for most cars with Entrynav 2 HU , i.e build dates from approx April 2017, with wireless antenna socket in HU) to buy a genuine BMW fsc code via a connected source in this forum (but not directly from BMW!), see later posts in this thread. To check if you have Entrynav 2 look in navigation for map version, if it includes word “Way” in map version then you have Entrynav 2. If you have word route then you have have Entrynav 1 and unfortunately Carplay cannot be installed into the HU and you will have to look at a “plug-in” android box type solutions. Finally a rare alternative which makes retrofitting CarPlay possible, is if you have option S609 “professional navigation” because it means you will probably have an NBTevo HU and sellers can “code” CarPlay for you. This rare option appears confined to Russia and Far East (China, Japan & Taiwan).

The Long answer ....

The X1 (F48) hardware varies from country to country so It is unwise to generalise, but most X1 will have ENTRYNAV/ENTRYNAV2 HU installed. For China, Japan, Taiwan & Russia the X1 are fitted with a “tall” HU so one assumes they have NBT and professional navigation as either standard or available option (may be due to mapping). I can confirm that Japanese F48 with professional navigation definitely have NBTevo HU installed.

BMW models with NBTevo HU can have CarPlay easily retrofitted and FSc codes are widely available to do it, the problem is many owners and a lot of suppliers do not know the F48 does not normally have an NBTpro or NBTevo HU. This confusion is compounded by Bimmercode and Carly coding apps naming the HU module HU_NBT and that the ENTRYNAV/2 HU software having “skins” (screen appearance/layout) mimicking appearance of evo id5/id6

Unfortunately professional navigation (s609) does not appear to be/have been offered as an option in U.K/EU & USA. BMW instead used terms “ Nav” and “Nav plus” (options S6UNA & S6UPA), both have same ENTRYNAV HU and business nav software, just different CID , either 6.5” or 8.8” Display (in U.K this option included HUD) . So, most F48 came/come out of the factory with ENTRYNAV (up to approx 04/2017) or ENTRYNAV2 (from 07/2017) Head Units. Prior to Aug 2019 there were no known FSC codes to enable CarPlay through direct install or OTA (over the air provision) for these HU. There are still no 3rd party fsc codes available and if you enter your VIN to order on sites offering to install Carplay, they should pretty quickly, tell you it is not available. You can also go into your nav settings and look at map version. For a rare few based in a limited number of markets (not EU & USA) If you are lucky and it contains the word NBT then you are good to go.

To add further confusion, for 2018 and early 2019 build dates BMW moved to a “subscription only” service for CarPlay. Cars can be ordered with option 6CP “CarPlay preparation or “CarPlay ready” with an initial subscription period which can be renewed. Prior to late 2019 the only F48 outside of the USA to have lifetime CarPlay installed were, I believe, 2017 models. For the USA, BMWUSA specified all 2019 onward F48 models to be APPLE Carplay ready (but do check when ordering). Outside if USA If you have an X1/X2 from late 2018 or 2019 onwards and it does not have build option 6CP you will not be able to order OTA CarPlay through connected drive regardless of specification.

The only options for Most F48/F39 without CarPlay or CarPlay ready installed at factory, are;

-UPDATE AS AT AUGUST 2019. - it is now possible to purchase a genuine BMW fsc code for “lifetime” 143 CarPlay if your car has option 6UP (larger 8.8” display and WiFI/WLAN capability. Unfortunately this option is only available informally and through a “connected” forum member who I believe may work for BMW or is able to purchase the code from BMW. The code is VIN specific and you would also need to have it installed using E-sys coding tool (and if not already fitted , plug in a fakra wifi antenna into the back of your HU). It is also possible to buy Carplay enabling without an fsc code for Entrynav 2 HU and this costs significantly less but can be lost if the HU is updated by a BMW dealership. It would not be appropriate (I do not have their permission) to give you contact details however a little careful research further in this thread or some other posts in this forum might get you in touch with the necessary people.

- for late 2017/early 2018 F48 check on BMW connected drive to see if you are lucky and your car has the right (rare/fully loaded) hardware configuration (so 8.8” screen, extended Bluetooth and WLAN module & antenna - or to put it “fully loaded) to enable OTA CarPlay. Unfortunately BMW used a Bluetooth & WiFi combo to run CarPlay. or

- fit an aftermarket android box (essentially plugs into the HU aux input) with 10.25” screen and loads of apps including CarPlay. Please note however that there is a consensus developing that as at 04/2019, these units are really only compatible with first generation (non touch screen) F48 Head Units [but watch this space for updates], or finally

- fit an NBTevo id5/id6 HU or “tall” HU from another model* (best done as a complete kit with install support where they provide fsc codes. Be warned you may lose all “connected drive” services using this option.

- From Aug 2019 for cars with certain specifications (e.g. wireless antenna/socket is essential)it is possible to buy a genuine BMW fsc code, see later posts on this thread,

Because the BMW “connected drive” store checks your factory build option (you have to enter your VIN) before offering OTA CarPlay, it means retrofitting a bigger 8.8” CID, WLAN antenna and extended Bluetooth will not work unless there is a way of getting BMW to “update” this information, no-one has succeeded yet. The only hope for an oem solution is that BMW decide to offer a retrofit Kit.

Finally a general caution about how BMW configure Carplay, namely BMW uses a combination of Bluetooth and wireless data transfer (bluetooth alone does not have sufficient data transfer capacity to cope with many apps), unlike many other car manufacturers who use a wired usb connection. The problem with the BMW configuration is that the loss of either Bluetooth or wireless can result in Carplay hanging/crashing. The loss of either connection may be due to other Bluetooth devices or wireless connectivity issues and is the reason for many complaints about problems running Carplay in BMW vehicles.

Last edited by MJE60; 06-06-2023 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Model specification change & fsc code availability
Appreciate 8
iceman7117.00
ttimbo280.00
NJDK19.50
ratajj1.50
paulcu0.00
Logical209.50
      02-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Great work!

But it really should not have been needed. BMW have made obtaining/installing/using CarPlay an extremely complex and costly implementation. Yet, look in other car yards, and you'll see it is a standard inclusion in some economy buzz boxes.

Shame BMW, shame!
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2019, 05:59 AM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Just a quick update. One of our forum members recently fitted an Avin android 8.1 unit. Primarily to get Apple CarPlay. There is a detailed thread on the retrofit, unfortunately in respect of CarPlay it has not been a success. There appears to be a bug/compatibility issue between the android unit and the F48 ENTRYNAV so that trying to play music through CarPlay results in frequent and regular sound “skipping”.
Check the thread on this forum by PurePulse64, unfortunately as at the time of writing Avin do not appear interested in offering a refund. We do not know if it would work properly on the later F48 ENTRYNAV2 HU or if this would be the same for other android 8.1 units being offered. so I would advice caution. If you are considering ordering CarPlay for an F48 from Avin, I would get a written confirmation they will provide a refund if it there is a compatibility problem.

As at 04/2019 a large number of android boxes available for F48 are only really compatible with first generation (non touch screen) HEAD units when it comes to Apple CarPlay. I will update here if and when the situation changes.

Please note, my comments are about ordering an android unit purely to get CarPlay. IMHO the android units can offer a great alternative to people looking for a larger touch screen and/or options such as navigation which is not standard in their market.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-30-2019 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
ttimbo280.00
      03-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #4
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Note that from 2018/2019 BMW are moving to a “subscription only” service for CarPlay. Cars can be ordered “CarPlay ready” with an initial subscription period which can be renewed.
I don't see apple carplay on my dealers page as an option for the 2019 models. Does this mean that every 2019 X1 can have carplay if you pay the subscription, or you still have to have the right hardware ?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
I don't see apple carplay on my dealers page as an option for the 2019 models. Does this mean that every 2019 X1 can have carplay if you pay the subscription, or you still have to have the right hardware ?
If you are lucky to have the right (rare) hardware combination, yes. Otherwise only if you pay for the “CarPlay ready/CarPlay preparation” option at the time ordering and order/have “Nav Plus” package. Edit- FROM 08/2019 MOST CARS WITH ENTRYNAV2 HU CAN HAVE CARPLAY INSTALLED VIA THIS FORUM.

As BMW will want to earn income from subscription services, it may be “CarPlay preparation” will become a standard feature in more markets. For u.k it is currently still shown as £235 option for F48 which has to be ordered with £1,605 “Nav Plus” package. It really should not be this difficult.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-15-2021 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: Carplay retrofit available After 08/2019
Appreciate 1
Jorix72.50
      03-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Once again, YMMV depending on your country, US 2019 X1's have CarPlay w/1-year subscription as a standard feature and it does not show on the option list because of that.
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
Jorix72.50
      03-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Just a quick update. One of our forum members recently fitted an Avin android 8.1 unit. Primarily to get Apple CarPlay. There is a detailed thread on the retrofit, unfortunately in respect of CarPlay it has not been a success. There appears to be a bug/compatibility issue between the android unit and the F48 ENTRYNAV so that trying to play music through CarPlay results in frequent and regular sound “skipping”.
Check the thread on this forum by PurePulse64, unfortunately as at the time of writing Avin do not appear interested in offering a refund. We do not know if it would work properly on the later F48 ENTRYNAV2 HU or if this would be the same for other android 8.1 units being offered. so I would advice caution. If you are considering ordering anything from Avin, I would get a written confirmation they will provide a refund if it there is a compatibility problem.
I don't think it is big problem not to have 100% working Apple Car Play in such aftermarket units, let alone that the ACP dongle runs though the android part (it does not add ACP to the idrive part).

The unit per se is a fully functional Android tablet.
Any app needed could be run like in an android tablet.
90% of the Greek users upgrading to the android unit do not bother at all with ACP. The remaining 10% is not using it at all even though they bought the dongle.

ACP is mostly helpful in providing connectivity and apps/navi in native infotainment systems.
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
smartg1.50
      03-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
I don't think it is big problem not to have 100% working Apple Car Play in such aftermarket units, let alone that the ACP dongle runs though the android part (it does not add ACP to the idrive part).

The unit per se is a fully functional Android tablet.
Any app needed could be run like in an android tablet.
90% of the Greek users upgrading to the android unit do not bother at all with ACP. The remaining 10% is not using it at all even though they bought the dongle.

ACP is mostly helpful in providing connectivity and apps/navi in native infotainment systems.
Hi Iceman7
Yes of course, my comments are purely for people looking at android specifically for Apple CarPlay functionality.
I know (you yourself have explained) that for many F48 owners in Greece, these android units provide a great opportunity to install good navigation and a much larger touch screen with added infotainment suite.

If I had not already fitted an 8.” Oem touch screen, I would probably install a 10.25” android unit . Not having CarPlay would not be a good reason to avoid choosing this solution.
I have edited my comments above to reflect your advice.
Best wishes

Last edited by MJE60; 12-10-2020 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      03-29-2019, 04:27 AM   #9
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Does fitting an aftermarket android box, void the warranty of the car? I suppose it does. I am actually more interested in android auto, than apple carplay.
Also, on AVINs website it says "10.25" BMW X1 Series F48 (2016 - 2018) Multimedia Navigation System". Does that mean that the head unit is not compatible with 2019 MY ?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:04 AM   #10
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Quote:
Does fitting an aftermarket android box, void the warranty of the car? I suppose it does. I am actually more interested in android auto, than apple carplay.
Also, on AVINs website it says "10.25" BMW X1 Series F48 (2016 - 2018) Multimedia Navigation System". Does that mean that the head unit is not compatible with 2019 MY ?
The answer is not straightforward!
I suppose that any components connected with the HU are out of warranty if you swap displays.
But you can always swap back to the original 6,5 one if something goes wrong.

Being in Bulgaria I think you could try other shops than AVIN to buy the unit. Most units are actually the same.
Try the following source that sells the same units in the EU and has a great support with frequent firmware updated etc

https://exclusivecarauto.com/advance...f0e5d2&x=0&y=0
Appreciate 2
Jorix72.50
MJE60678.00
      03-29-2019, 05:06 AM   #11
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
As Iceman7 has already indicated, this is a difficult question to answer.

Technically, the android box just utilises the auxiliary input of the existing car Head Unit (like plugging an MP3 player into the aux input of a home stereo amplifier). None of the android box functions input/affect the car ecus, (unless you count a display Screen as such). Even the replacing of the display with a different one should have no effect on the functioning of the car engine, transmission, etc.

Legally, a warranty should only be lost for those parts replaced or whose functioning has been altered/compromised by the fitting or presence of new non oem parts.
The reality will depend on country and dealer. I suspect some dealers would try to void a warranty for the entire car and it would then depend on any legal process. Certainly, many have retrofitted parts and coded functions without it affecting a warranty claim for a different area of the car. There are also some who have experienced problems. Because the android box does “piggy back” into the loom (essential for replacement display to show HU content) a dealer might argue the ecu were compromised by the addition of an adapter socket and it would be up to the individual to try to prove otherwise.

My best advice is that if you are worried about losing warranty then do not retrofit parts or undertake coding. There clearly is a risk.

I replaced my 6.5” BMW touch display and idrive controller with larger 8.8” genuine BMW oem versions rather than android, partly because my car was only 6 months old at the time and I wanted to protect the warranty. The BMW 8.8” display and touch controller, was fitted and coded and the VCM (vehicle configuration mgt) updated to ensure any future dealer coding recognises the new parts. I am prepared to fight if BMW try and void any warranty claim for the rest of the car due to the fitting of these genuine parts. I am about to fit a non BMW oem reversing camera (which connects using a similar adapter to the android infotainment boxes). I am prepared to do it now because retrofit of an oem version is not possible and because my car is 16 months old and I know I could remove the retrofit in the event I needed to make a claim on say an engine failure and believed it would be unfairly refused. I hasten to add, I would never try to make a claim for anything I know I was responsible for causing.

In the end we all make choices and should be responsible for them.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-30-2019 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #12
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Update - Looks like 2019 model X1 & X2 can only get BMW OTA (over the air) CarPlay subscription if they have factory build option 6CP (Apple CarPlay preparation). It also appears that CarPlay in some markets can be ordered with 6UN (Nav) rather than 6UP (Nav plus). I need to double check if this actually means you can order CarPlay with the smaller 6.5” screen, perhaps someone will confirm. Also in some markets CarPlay preparation is bundled into an entertainment package as well as a stand-alone option. In US, I have been told that CarPlay is included as std option for 2019 but please check for yourself if ordering.

is unclear if “fully loaded” cars with build dates from approx July 2017 to July 2018 can still order An OTA subscription. BMW changed from a lifetime to subscription model at around the same time it updated the HU from Entrynav to Entrynav2 .

We can only continue hoping BMW will release a retrofit kit as in many cases and markets the only hardware actually needed is a Wi-fi aerial! I am sure someone at BMW will spot the profit opportunity, eventually

Maybe we have a few influential forum members can point this out to colleagues in München.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-10-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
NJDK
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

android 8.1 to replace 6UN touchscreen

Hi guys,

Beside some very great input from MJE60 on replacing my 6UN 6.5" touchscreen with an OEM 8.8", I have also been looking at switching to an 10.25" Android due to costs and functionality.

I don't need Apple Carplay, I mainly want to be able to run Google maps, Waze etc. as BMW navigation is simply not good enough.

However, all sites i have been looking at for an 8.1 Android says that it is not compatible in a bmw X1 F48 model 2018 if it already has an OEM touchscreen unit installed.

Does anyone have a solution to this and if so does anyone know if my current controller will work for an Android 10.25" screen?

Lastly, does anyone know if there is a new model on its way to the market or can the screen simply update its Android system when a new release is ready?

Cheers and thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #14
basmusicman
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 f48

CarPlay

I have just ordered a new f48 xline with everything as standard and the dealer has told me that I will be able to get acp via subscription from bmw as I say is it a stock car with the 6.5 screen I am collecting the car this Thursday so will update once I have the car
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #15
basmusicman
Registered
Rep

screen upgrade

A bit off topic but hopefully someone can help. is it possible to change the 6.5 touch screen for a 8.8 non touch as I made a mistake and ordered the non touch version and seller won't take it back thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 04:27 AM   #16
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmusicman View Post
A bit off topic but hopefully someone can help. is it possible to change the 6.5 touch screen for a 8.8 non touch as I made a mistake and ordered the non touch version and seller won't take it back thanks
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to read your problem with screen, if you got it off eBay then some people would just claim it is faulty and force a return. If you bought it fixed price from business seller then you are entitled legally to return it (within time window). Unfortunately I have seen at least two eBay listings where sellers are deliberately trying to confuse buyers into believing their screen is a touch version when a check on the part number shows it is not. For anyone else tempted to buy an 8.8” screen, check the part number, if necessary ask for help on this forum.

With regard to coding a non-touch display then yes it is possible, I would have to check but think there are just two Ecu where setting for touch is aktiv or nicht (active or not), so quick and easy change.

I would however, not advise making the change as the part would/could never have been factory fitted and therefore will always stand out on BMW systems, i.e it will throw a fault whenever BMW update software. Another problem is the coding change could not easily be made permanent.
If you cannot force a return then sell it on, take the hit and buy the correct oem part. Imo it is the most beneficial retrofit you can make on the car. I would be more than happy to confirm the correct part number for you, I would just need the last 7 digits of your VIN (you can PM me with details).

Last edited by MJE60; 04-22-2019 at 05:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 04:38 AM   #17
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
I have just ordered a new f48 xline with everything as standard and the dealer has told me that I will be able to get acp via subscription from bmw as I say is it a stock car with the 6.5 screen I am collecting the car this Thursday so will update once I have the car
Unless you have ordered and paid for 6CP (Apple CarPlay ready) as a factory option then you will NOT be able to get Apple CarPlay (unless BMW U.K have suddenly made it a standard option which was not the case a few weeks ago!).

I would get confirmation in writing, dealers are regularly full of BS when it comes to this feature. You will find, like thousand of other F48 owners, that the BMW “connected drive” store will tell you a subscription is not available for your vehicle. If you want Apple CarPlay, which BMW have now made an OTA (over the air) subscription service, you have to have an F48 which is “car play ready/enabled” , this will ensure you have the WLAN function which is used in conjunction with Bluetooth to provide the service.

Your dealer is right on one thing, previously you could only order CarPlay in conjunction with bigger 8.8” screen, that changed for 2019 model year. Having a stock F48 X-line with 6.5” screen will however not give you acp unless you have build option 6CP.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-25-2019 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #18
pandauk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Where did you buy it? And did you pay by PayPal? They always side with the buyer so if the seller won't take it, raise a dispute
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #19
basmusicman
Registered
Rep

Follow up have been mis informed by dealer and have now confirmed that CarPlay is not available on stock 6.5 system
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #20
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Aftermarket Carplay Kit

Apparently, there is an aftermarket kit that will fit an F48 series radio for $469 on Amazon from a company called Unichip Smartauto Solutions.

I've just contacted them and waiting for a response.

It's supposed to work with iDrive but requires an included microphone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-27-2019, 02:42 AM   #21
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Apparently, there is an aftermarket kit that will fit an F48 series radio for $469 on Amazon from a company called Unichip Smartauto Solutions.

Looking forward to hearing more, let us know.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #22
cryze
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 sDrive 18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post

I recently tried out a similar one from Joyeauto you can find on AliExpress which said it was specifically compatible with F48s up until 2017, and I'm sad to say it failed to work properly on a 09/2016 F48 with 8.8" screen.

After being given a software update and many hours of troubleshooting, the best I got was intermittent flashes of the carplay interface and a tech support guy that was adamant my 8.8" display was "special", whatever that means, so I returned it.

I also recently sent an email to Unique Auto Developments asking if their Wireless Carplay box would be compatible with my X1, but no reply yet.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00