BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) EDC & Variable Sport Steering - US?

04-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

EDC & Variable Sport Steering - US?

I was looking at the German configurator and noticed that Electronic Damper Control (EDC) and Variable Sport Steering options are available.

Also noticed the Canadian configurator has the Variable Sport Steering available.

Am I correct that these are not available in the US?

It looks like we only get the standard M sport suspension.

I really like the VSS.

I am going to test drive an X1 this weekend. I'm looking for a replacement for my F30 and considering both the X1 and 3GT.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
I was looking at the German configurator and noticed that Electronic Damper Control (EDC) and Variable Sport Steering options are available.

Also noticed the Canadian configurator has the Variable Sport Steering available.

I really like the VSS.
Yes, I miss those options too.

Currently, far too many options are missing in the U.S., including options from the sport line -- black trim, or at least sport seats on a non-M-Sport version. VSS is an under-appreciated option. I have VSS on my 435i and love it. The X1's standard M sport suspension is EXTREMELY jarring, even with 18" wheels, so the EDC option is almost mandatory.

I have to believe that these options will be coming to the U.S. soon, so I will wait. I would hate to be forced into buying something else, like a Porsche Macan.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by okolisr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post

I really like the VSS.
Yes, I miss those options too.

Currently, far too many options are missing in the U.S., including options from the sport line -- black trim, or at least sport seats on a non-M-Sport version. VSS is an under-appreciated option. I have VSS on my 435i and love it. The X1's standard M sport suspension is EXTREMELY jarring, even with 18" wheels, so the EDC option is almost mandatory.

I have to believe that these options will be coming to the U.S. soon, so I will wait. I would hate to be forced into buying something else, like a Porsche Macan.
You'll be disappointed if you think DDC would give you a *softer* ride. It only gives one additional, *firmer* damper setting, nothing softer. So the ride in Comfort is the same as for standard cars not fitted with DDC.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
davidkn
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster GTS & 2016 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
You'll be disappointed if you think DDC would give you a *softer* ride. It only gives one additional, *firmer* damper setting, nothing softer. So the ride in Comfort is the same as for standard cars not fitted with DDC.
Are you sure about this, a link to something that says it, as its not I what I've been led to believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
davidkn
United Kingdom
Rep

So I've just been reading up on it and there's edc (electronic) and ddc (dynamic), the X1 has ddc, not edc as in the OP.

Dynamic does still suggest it's better in both modes though as its still got the ability to change the damper settings, so it's a different damper system to the regular setup that's fixed. So there's a very good chance the ride with ddc in comfort mode is better that the same ride in a car not fitted with ddc.

One website says this:

Dynamic Damper Control system. The electronically controlled dampers improve the primary and secondary ride of the new BMW X models and sharpen their dynamic attributes. Two damper control settings can be activated using the Driving Experience Control switch.

The Driving Experience Control switch on the center console allows the driver to give the car’s set-up an even sportier, more comfort-oriented or efficiency-optimized character. Calling up COMFORT, SPORT or ECO PRO mode at the touch of a button adapts the responses of the accelerator pedal and steering. The shift characteristics of the automatic transmission and the damper settings are also adjusted if the relevant equipment has been specified.

Another one states:

BMW Dynamic Damper Control (also sometimes called Dynamic Damping Control) is a system that can change the suspension settings on the fly. Each wheel has a control unit that monitors movement 400 times per second and then adjusts the shock absorbers appropriately. The system can adjust both compression and rebound from soft to firm, adjusting to provide the best suspension for the current driving conditions, providing the most comfort and best handling possible, even on rough roads.

I have a feeling that might be describing edc though.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #6
ttimbo
Major
Rep

You need to read the description that specifically describes the system fitted to the F48 X1 (and yes, it's called DDC - Dynamic Damper Control, not EDC -- the console switch controlling this option as well as throttle/transmission response is called the DEC -- Driver Experience Control -- hence some confusion):

"SPORT Resolute sports configuration of the shock ab? sorbers for greater agility when driving.

COMFORT/ECO PRO Balanced shock absorber set-up for greater comfort."

(The above from the owners manual)

Now, that wording mixes some marketing jargon, but it basically describes what I said above -- DDC merely gives you one, *firmer* damper setting over the standard damping, nothing softer. As I have this on my car, I can assure you it works that way in practice, too. That said, I don't have any issues with the ride in my car, which is fitted with 18" RFTs. But I'm in the Australian market, where the XDrive doesn't have MSport suspension as standard, as is the case in the US. Looking at RealOEM, there are different part numbers for the springs/struts for MSport in the US market, suggesting the harsh ride culprit might be the standard (MSport) springs fitted, not the DDC.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
davidkn
United Kingdom
Rep

Ive been reading various forums and reviews and everyone seems to swear by ddc saying the ride in comfort is noticeably better than a car not fitted with the option.

I've ordered it anyway, at least then I can change between the two modes, plus my dad will probably drive it in comfort all of the time (like he does in my Porsche, which imo is a bit of a waste) and I'll be in sport, again like i do in the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Yes, many of the reviews I've read have this wrong. Not surprising -- even fewer motoring journalists read the manual than owners!

If you always use the Sport setting, there's no doubt you'll find the ride in Comfort much better . But the X1 doesn't have the 'smart' multi-variable damper system of higher end BMWs, or Porsche's PASM
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 04:58 AM   #9
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Just to back-up what ttimbo and others have said, here's a link to the sticky at the top of the forum for the official BMW training docs for the F48:
http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1177240

The "Chassis & Suspension" pdf details how DDC works on the F48: basically there's one valve in the dampers that works for Comfort & Eco-Pro, and another the handles Sports mode. So Sports mode has stiffer damping, the other two modes are the same as normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 05:20 AM   #10
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Interesting document, however the one thing that this does not cover is whether the base set up of the shocks is identical to a vehicle without this system... I assume it's a totally different shock so it would be interesting to find out if normal mode is really exactly the same between say a M Sport with the system to a M Sport without it
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 05:46 AM   #11
ttimbo
Major
Rep

I would assume the Comfort damping on a DDC equipped car would be pretty much the same as for a non-DDC equipped car, mainly because the language of the tech docs and owners manual emphasize the change when the Sport setting is engaged -- that's the point of difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #12
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I would assume the Comfort damping on a DDC equipped car would be pretty much the same as for a non-DDC equipped car, mainly because the language of the tech docs and owners manual emphasize the change when the Sport setting is engaged -- that's the point of difference.
I agree but I've not seen a definitive answer on this yet, the tech docs are basically saying comfort is base setting and sport stiffens the shocks. Fine with that, the more complex systems such as the one in the F10 have normal which is midrange, comfort which softens the ride and sport which makes it firmer. They also have active sway bars to keep the vehicle flat.

However with many drivers reporting that ride on their cars with DDC is better than demonstrators that they tested, I'm wondering whether the base setting on the shocks is slightly softer than a car without DDC. Obviously springs are probably identical between cars with and without DDC. It may however just be a placebo effect...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #13
ttimbo
Major
Rep

...or there may have been an in-line production change?

I want to check the part numbers on RealOEM.com, but haven't yet had time. There, you can track changes in part numbers over time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #14
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
...or there may have been an in-line production change?

I want to check the part numbers on RealOEM.com, but haven't yet had time. There, you can track changes in part numbers over time.
Yep would be good to know, I probably don't have the patience to do this
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #15
Mr.Raj
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 28i xLine

I think the DDC is only better in sport. Feeling of comfort mode better than the X1 without DDC could be just because you have stiffer setting when you are in sport and when changing to comfort you feel, oh yes its softer. I have felt this in my f30 all the time. When i drive in comform for a longer time it starts to feel bad and harsh. But then drive for 15 mins in sport and then back to comfort feels like heaven. Just personal observation I might be wrong.
Appreciate 0