F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Is it worth flashing your ECU's?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-17-2023, 08:01 AM   #1
MorbidAngel
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive -14

Is it worth flashing your ECU's?

I downloaded PSZData full for a customer but after reading a bit more about flashing I realised you might get new coding options, new functions etc in your car.

I have an F30 330dx from 2014. I don't think it's ever been flashed before. Is it worth the trouble of flashing the ECU's? Will it add anything of value?

The car is full m-sport, harman/kardon sound, navigation professional and has the big screen (NBT).

The car has a retrofitted 6WB cluster if that makes a difference.

If you need more info about the car just ask. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 12:42 PM   #2
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

The update bring improvement to the vehicle you might not realise or notice some of the changes. If its not necessary dont do it unless you want to unlock specific coding that arent available or there is a technical bulletin related to the vehicle recommending to update.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 01:20 AM   #3
MorbidAngel
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNine90 View Post
The update bring improvement to the vehicle you might not realise or notice some of the changes. If its not necessary dont do it unless you want to unlock specific coding that arent available or there is a technical bulletin related to the vehicle recommending to update.
Thank you. Is there any way to see beforehand what coding options or changes I might get? Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 04:35 AM   #4
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

not really. some of the big noticeable changes are discussed online here and other forums etc.

to be honest, although ultimately it's all fairly easy and straight forward I recommend avoiding it all if possible.

there is a bit of a learning curve and during the beginning there is a chance to fuck things up.

also you really should use a good solid power supply when flashing so there is a small cost involved as most don't have the 50amp plus power supply needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidAngel View Post
Thank you. Is there any way to see beforehand what coding options or changes I might get? Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 04:40 AM   #5
MorbidAngel
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
not really. some of the big noticeable changes are discussed online here and other forums etc.

to be honest, although ultimately it's all fairly easy and straight forward I recommend avoiding it all if possible.

there is a bit of a learning curve and during the beginning there is a chance to fuck things up.

also you really should use a good solid power supply when flashing so there is a small cost involved as most don't have the 50amp plus power supply needed.
I just flashed my retrofitted 6WB. I spent the last 2 hours fixing everything and I'm just glad I didn't brick it. I know Esys fairly well (except flashing) so the procedure itself wasn't to hard but it did NOT like that it was retrofitted. I have my own shop so I have most tools and used my 25A charger that usually works for everything.

But yeah long story short, I will not flash anything else in my car ever again unless I absolutely have to.

Longer story of the 6WB flashing:

Dkombi just disappeared from my SVT. And Bkombi came back. Tried pretty much everything I could think of without any success. Eventually I edited the SVT, deleted bkombi completely and wrote it back to the car and then dkombi came back. Simple solution but took me forever to figure that out lol.
Appreciate 1
fe7565557.50
      01-18-2023, 09:37 AM   #6
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

yep. a perfect example. I have been there before and although the fix is simple at the time it sure doesn't seam that way.

btw in the past when I have faced ecus disappearing from the svt (read svt and read ECU) what has helped was doing a factory code on a random module (eg idrive controller) and having update svt and msm enabled under options. guessing this forces a scan of all the busses (can, can2 etc etc) and re populates the svt with a correct list of modules. although I am not sure why read ECU doesn't just do that all on its own :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidAngel View Post
I just flashed my retrofitted 6WB. I spent the last 2 hours fixing everything and I'm just glad I didn't brick it. I know Esys fairly well (except flashing) so the procedure itself wasn't to hard but it did NOT like that it was retrofitted. I have my own shop so I have most tools and used my 25A charger that usually works for everything.

But yeah long story short, I will not flash anything else in my car ever again unless I absolutely have to.

Longer story of the 6WB flashing:

Dkombi just disappeared from my SVT. And Bkombi came back. Tried pretty much everything I could think of without any success. Eventually I edited the SVT, deleted bkombi completely and wrote it back to the car and then dkombi came back. Simple solution but took me forever to figure that out lol.
Appreciate 1
fe7565557.50