BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) M-Sport Front License Plate solution

03-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #1
BobbyLoKat
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 xDrive 28i

M-Sport Front License Plate solution

Hey... new here after just getting a 2018 x2 xDrive28i w/ M-sport package. I live in Oregon and "have" to have a front license plate.

I wanted to share what I think is a great solution to a front mount license plate. Made by a local (to me) company that seems really cool, too. They don't list it as fitting an X2. Maybe because it might not work for the non-M version? Not sure, but it fits the M-sport opening, just right.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/platypus...arch&GRILL&MOU

I really didn't want to mess with the front profile and thankfully the person who had it before didn't have a front plate on it. So no holes in the bumper.

I've seen some with the tow-hook solution for a plate mount and I just don't like the look (just my opinion) and plus, I think it could get accidentally bumped or messed with by someone in a parking lot.

I found some grill mount options on Amazon, but they stuck out too far.

Here are some pics of the mount above with a carbon fiber plate frame.
View post on imgur.com

I mounted it without the spacer in the package and just the middle screw. I had to bump it up a bit and then tighten the center nut, so it would be centered. Fits nicely in the M-sport mouth opening.

Here are the install instructions.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 05:41 PM   #2
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Looks great, but doesn't it block the intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 11:19 PM   #3
BobbyLoKat
Rep

That's a valid point. I'm not sure. I'm not in a hot climate and it isn't flush, so not sure. I'll email the company and see what they think.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 12:45 PM   #4
BobbyLoKat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TMT View Post
Looks great, but doesn't it block the intercooler?
Hey... I emailed the company and they got back to me right away. I think I'm going to go with it and keep an eye on things in the summer.

Also, I realized, if you have a front sensor for adaptive cruise, this might not be the solution for you?

Here is their response.

Hey there Rob,

Thanks for reaching out! Oh wow that does look perfect in there! With how we have that designed to lift off the grille a bit, I don't think you'll run into any problems with your intercooler. Anything in that location will change the airflow of course, though I wouldn't expect you to see any difference in performance at all.

Thanks!

--
Danielle Cross
(she/her/hers)
CravenSpeed Customer Support
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #5
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Well, that's pretty much the response I'd expect. If you ran it on a track day, I think it might. If it's your DD and you don't live in a hot climate or regularly do hard pulls, it'll be fine. It does look nice!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 09:59 AM   #6
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I've had mine zip tied to my grille there since 2019.

The intercooler is actually over the driver's side fender/wheel so if anything it might decrease air flow to the radiator.

Still with daily driving in Boston hot weather I've seen no problems at all with temperature. If I ever take it to the track I'd probably just cut the zip ties and put it back on later
Appreciate 0