F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Syracuse, NY - 340i (xi?) deals reasonable this time of year?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
ticklemethere
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 328i

Syracuse, NY - 340i (xi?) deals reasonable this time of year?

Hi folks,

Long time no post on my end. I am looking to get out of my 328i (a great car, esp. w/ the dinan tune) and into a 340i, or maybe xi. Wondering a few things, and hoping answers from you folks can expedite the process.

1) Syracuse (upstate ny) has decent winters with medium gradient hills, and I will be limited to one car. Anyone around that area or in Canada able to vet the 340i w/ winters as perfectly sufficient for winter? I can say that my 328i w/ all seasons is definitely NOT sufficient. (Can be fun in parking lots though. When it can actually get a bit of traction.)

2) I'm seeing several manufacturer lease deals that are active until january 2. The one I am interested in is https://www.bmwusa.com/special-offer...40i-Sedan.html. Does anyone have experience with the flexibility of the down payment on this deal? I have no desire to put a down payment on a lease. If for some reason I must (deal is otherwise extraordinary), I certainly would not go beyond $1k. Assuming I can simply get 0 down and do (roughly) +$83 per month, does the base lease price of $512/mo for a 340i look like a good starting point, or is it really no better than non-holiday pricing?

3) The year 5 service (one of the most expensive ones) is coming up on my 328i, and I'd like to trade in before that service. Does that affect my ability to negotiate a trade? Can you even negotiate a trade?

4) If I were to go xDrive, are there steps I can take to minimize the drive dynamic differences between it and sDrive? I read long ago that there are a few options, such as adaptive suspension, that are a must for a decent driving dynamic on xdrive. Is this still the case?

I appreciate any insightful replies. Thank you,

Ian

Last edited by ticklemethere; 12-25-2017 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: clarify first question
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

By all means negotiate, because this time of year is when sales are slowest and both dealers and BMW are most likely to wheel and deal. As for xDrive, I'm not even aware it's there other than when everyone else, including 4WD pickups, are spinning their wheels as I drive past them. But you don't want winter tires all year round.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
ticklemethere
United_States
Rep

Oh, yeah, definitely. I'll edit my post. I mean winter tires for winter, summer for the rest of the year. Sorry about that.

Bill, did you come from a rwd setup before your ix gt?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

I have a 340xi and I had no problems in the snow in the NYC area and even when I went to visit some college friends in the Utica/Syracuse area during a snow storm. The ContiProContact SSR all seasons that came with the car weren't too bad but they are not really confidence inspiring at speed. I have since upgraded to non runflat DWS06 tires but have yet to get some snowfall to test them. If you do go for dedicated winter tires then this car will be unstoppable even in the worst snowfall conditions.

I couldn't find a car on a dealer lot with the adaptive suspension but if I had a chance I would have got that option as the xDrive model comes with the base 3 series suspension and is slightly taller than the rwd model. As for driving dynamics I couldn't really tell a difference between my friend's 340i rwd and my xDrive. I guess since the xDrive is rwd biased unlike other cars you still get the feeling of being pushed around corners like in a rwd car.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi

Last edited by NYC_340i; 12-25-2017 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
ticklemethere
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I think regardless of the drivetrain I choose, I'll need to do an order rather than take something off the lot. There's too few choices. Only one dealership near me, and they don't have a large lot. The dealership in Rochester is bigger, but I don't really want to drive all the way there at this time of year.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #6
izzynyc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I'm in nyc and have had my 16 340i m sport for about 18 months with no issues in the winter. I do have a set of winter tires I swap on when the snow comes. Actually have been contemplating getting out of my lease and picking up an M3. I have about 18 months left and have a really low payment so maybe if I put it up you would be interested.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 11:10 PM   #7
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I have a RWD 340i and before this I had a RWD 335i (E92). I put dedicated winter tires on both cars and haven't had an issue, even getting started on a snow-covered grade.

I've found it worthwhile to order these cars, that way you are not making compromises. With the 340i it's especially nice to get all the bells and whistles.

Charles
      12-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
ticklemethere
United_States
Rep

Cheers! Will likely go the 340i, order route. Excited!
Appreciate 2
CJ4211566.50
      12-26-2017, 02:09 AM   #9
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

If I had it to do over I think I'd seriously consider RWD but add the M Performance Limited slip Differential. Dedicated summer and winter wheel/tire setup is a must. Just my two cents worth.
      12-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #10
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

I regularly have to stop at the light (that is, being the first car in line) at Adams St. and Irving Ave. in the city. I have RWD and have zero issues pulling up the hill in snow or ice. I run Michelin X-ice winter tires. I also had our local dealer install the M Performance LSD. Snow grip is tremendous.

Our dealer let me take their first 340i Xdrive for a ride just for kicks. (I will never own an all wheel drive vehicle, but I did want to compare.) The Xdrive is noticeably faster than a 340i RWD--I'd even say it's scary-fast. I did find the Xdrive's suspension floaty, and there is no way to alleviate that no matter how you option the Xdrive.

With my 340i, I ordered the sports package and added the M Adaptive Suspension which helps to button things down a bit.

I've lived my entire life in CNY and, to reiterate, I have never owned an all wheel drive vehicle. However, I don't shun those BMW owners in my area who wear the Scarlet Letter on their cars: Xdrive.
Appreciate 3
      12-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticklemethere View Post
Bill, did you come from a rwd setup before your ix gt?
I've not had RWD since my '75 Mustang, all FWD since then until the GT. I don't commute, so if it's bad enough to need winters I stay home. That said my xDrive with AS is infinitely better in snow than any FWD with winters I ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #12
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

RWD with good winter tires will be better than x-drive with all seasons, but as a flatlander, I can't speak to your hills.

The x-drive with adaptive doesn't seem to be quite the same as RWD 340i with or without adaptive as far as suspension goes. For what it's worth, I prefer not selecting adaptive with the 340i - which now already includes the M sport and 704 suspension, although with different set of priorities, I see why some might option it.

I am on RWD, 704 suspension and running Blizzak WS70 (now WS80) and I have more traction than nearly every car on the road when the local roads and highways have been really bad so far this season. I did extended driving through both of the worst snows so far this year. Even got pushed off the shoulder by some bonehead in a giant pick-up truck and was able to maintain control and get back on the road surface after he was no longer in my way. Have been very impressed so far.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT

Last edited by metallicpea; 12-26-2017 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
CJ4211566.50
      12-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #13
ticklemethere
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
I regularly have to stop at the light (that is, being the first car in line) at Adams St. and Irving Ave. in the city. I have RWD and have zero issues pulling up the hill in snow or ice. I run Michelin X-ice winter tires. I also had our local dealer install the M Performance LSD. Snow grip is tremendous.

Our dealer let me take their first 340i Xdrive for a ride just for kicks. (I will never own an all wheel drive vehicle, but I did want to compare.) The Xdrive is noticeably faster than a 340i RWD--I'd even say it's scary-fast. I did find the Xdrive's suspension floaty, and there is no way to alleviate that no matter how you option the Xdrive.

With my 340i, I ordered the sports package and added the M Adaptive Suspension which helps to button things down a bit.

I've lived my entire life in CNY and, to reiterate, I have never owned an all wheel drive vehicle. However, I don't shun those BMW owners in my area who wear the Scarlet Letter on their cars: Xdrive.
This is excellent to hear. I need to go up that exact same hill very often, and have had to backtrack once before w/ my 328i. Very much appreciate this reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #14
ticklemethere
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
If I had it to do over I think I'd seriously consider RWD but add the M Performance Limited slip Differential. Dedicated summer and winter wheel/tire setup is a must. Just my two cents worth.
The LSD is an expensive piece of kit. I am planning to lease, as I got bored w/ my current car a year ago. I also plan to move to an M in another 3 or 4 years. I would not think LSD makes sense for a lease. Is it essential for winter traction (I could see why it could be...), or just a nice to have?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #15
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
The LSD is an expensive piece of kit. I am planning to lease, as I got bored w/ my current car a year ago. I also plan to move to an M in another 3 or 4 years. I would not think LSD makes sense for a lease. Is it essential for winter traction (I could see why it could be...), or just a nice to have?
You should be able to get the M-LSD port-installed. I believe it's residualized with the lease. So if you can do that then it's definitely not a bad idea.

Otherwise you could buy the M-LSD, then just swap it out before you return the car at lease end. Sell the M-LSD here on the forums.

Charles
      12-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #16
ticklemethere
United_States
Rep

Will look into that, then. Going to give the dealership a call in a few hours and see if I can get a 340i and 340ix test drive lined up. That is, if they have any 340i models.... Almost exclusively xDrive models here in upstate NY.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #17
metallicpea
Major
Rep

Quote:
It certainly is very nice with the HP of the 340, but it is not necessary for winter driving. I don't have it, and my comments above were based on normal open diff. Yes I don't have the HP on this car that a 340 does, but as you sound like a seasoned winter driver, you are not going to lead foot it when the roads are bad. LSD is only useful when you are really getting into it, and it just seems crazy to me this is not standard at this HP level.

But if I were buying a 340i now, I would really consider it based on similar HP and open diff on my E82 - the diff was the biggest of the two glaring shortcomings of that car. Leasing it, I understand the concern with price. Research that and see what it will really cost you in the end.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #18
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
I agree the LSD is not cheap, MSRP is $2500 plus labor and xDrive is a $2000 option. Neither is essential for winter traction but having had both equipped with proper winter tires I can assure you either option is very nice to have.
      12-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #19
ticklemethere
United_States
Rep

There are some dealership reps on this forum, correct? The dealership here in Syracuse is difficult to deal with (called twice, said they would call back each time and never did), and I have no time for that nonsense. Anyone know reps here I can get in contact with? I can't find a stickied thread that lists them. (I thought there used to be one a few years ago... Perhaps I am misremembering.) I would rather interface with someone competent and pay extra for shipping than deal with a dealership that will waste my time.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #20
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
There are some dealership reps on this forum, correct? The dealership here in Syracuse is difficult to deal with (called twice, said they would call back each time and never did), and I have no time for that nonsense. Anyone know reps here I can get in contact with? I can't find a stickied thread that lists them. (I thought there used to be one a few years ago... Perhaps I am misremembering.) I would rather interface with someone competent and pay extra for shipping than deal with a dealership that will waste my time.
I went to school across from Carbone BMW in Utica. I've rarely ever seen a car being sold there with the same cars in the lot for an entire season without being moved. Maybe if you try them they can give you a good deal on a order just to add to their sales numbers. If your willing to negotiate over email with a dealer here in the NYC metro area you can always take a one way flight and pick it up. I'd recommend Paul Miller BMW or Life Quality BMW in Brooklyn if you go that route. Tons of other options here so you can just send the same email to multiple dealers and see who gets back with the best price.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #21
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M4 ZCP

I went to school in Rochester New York. At the time I had an e90 328xi and had zero problems in the snow. Especially with winter tires. The f30 is bigger and although I moved out of upstate New York I'd say it's even better for snow. As for pricing the Rochester dealer always seemed to have higher prices than those in New England so definitely negotiate and don't feel afraid to go out of state to buy if needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #22
metallicpea
Major
Rep

Quote:
I can highly recommend Matt Martin at Defouw BMW in Lafayette Indiana. Great price, knows custom order and European Delivery. Just A+ experience all around and they would probably work with you remotely - do Performance Delivery and pick it up in South Carolina

The guy that was recommended on this board from the west coast wasn't super helpful and his price wasn't as good as I was able to get without any back and forth. As soon as I mentioned to him the price wasn't all that great, he seemed like he was done wasting his time on me. Think he just wants as many quick, easy half discounted sales as he has time to process.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 1