BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
Going to Japan

I'm visiting Japan during the summer for about a week.(not sure where exactly yet) but I'm really excited, and wanted to know what kind of things i should do there. Does any one know names of good restaurants and temples/buildings i should visit?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
petener999
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e65 750i, E46 M3

Look for a place called sushi yum-yum it's very good.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee View Post
I'm visiting Japan during the summer for about a week.(not sure where exactly yet) but I'm really excited, and wanted to know what kind of things i should do there. Does any one know names of good restaurants and temples/buildings i should visit?
Japan was pretty cool place, I stayed in Shinjuku. The people there were polite but didn't speak much english (hopefully you have a friend/translator) that does). The Narita airport is about an hour away from the city of Tokyo, so prepare for a long ride....i took the fast train, Narita Express to Shinjuku Station (about $30 USD). There's so many places to go, i mostly ate and went site seeing in the city. The sushi there is not very fancy like the states...(ie. dragon rolls, spider rolls, volcano rolls, etc.) they're simple fish with rice but the quality of the fish is like eating butter (not that you would)

2 things to be aware of:
the red light district, Kabukicho, just don't go into any bars there. THere's going to be many annoying guys on the street trying to get you into their bars. Some of the bars are own by gangsters and the prices are ridiculous (but you won't no this until the end of the night).
In Roppongi (place is cater more to foreigners) be careful of the english speaking Nigerians there going to try to be your friend and rip you off. So don't pay attention to them.

Have fun!

Here's a couple of good websites on Japan:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Tokyo/Shinjuku
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

sensoji temple FTMFW. (tokyo) very beautiful. if you can, get away to kyoto and nara. both towns are stunning in old world japanese architecture and culture.

if you like sushi, definitely go to tsukiji fish market EARLY in the morning. i usually do this the first night i'm there because i'm usually up all night anyway. it's quite an experience to see all various seafood come right in off the ocean, tuna auctions, and just all the crazy commotion that goes on. you'll also get to have some of the freshest raw seafood you'll ever have, if you so choose.

you'll benefit very well from a travel guide. i used frommers the first time i went to japan, it was very helpful. plan your days out ahead of time that way you don't look too touristy walking around with your nose in a travel guide.

japan is by far my favorite vacation destination. you'll have a blast and won't want to come home. i don't get that feeling from anywhere else in the world, and i consider myself well traveled.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

sensoji

this is the market leading into sensoji

from teh hotel

kyoto

i wish i had more from my first trip, but the laptop with most of the pics got stolen a couple years ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
jhv
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

i would love to visit japan. never been
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

Go to Fuji raceway or Suzuka. They have amusment parks I think
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
If you're on a budget, Curry House will become a likely recurring visit. The food is good, and cheap.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Oh boy, lucky you, I would love to go there, but don't have the money.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by petener999 View Post
Look for a place called sushi yum-yum it's very good.
Thanks, i'll look it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post
Japan was pretty cool place, I stayed in Shinjuku. The people there were polite but didn't speak much english (hopefully you have a friend/translator) that does). The Narita airport is about an hour away from the city of Tokyo, so prepare for a long ride....i took the fast train, Narita Express to Shinjuku Station (about $30 USD). There's so many places to go, i mostly ate and went site seeing in the city. The sushi there is not very fancy like the states...(ie. dragon rolls, spider rolls, volcano rolls, etc.) they're simple fish with rice but the quality of the fish is like eating butter (not that you would)

2 things to be aware of:
the red light district, Kabukicho, just don't go into any bars there. THere's going to be many annoying guys on the street trying to get you into their bars. Some of the bars are own by gangsters and the prices are ridiculous (but you won't no this until the end of the night).
In Roppongi (place is cater more to foreigners) be careful of the english speaking Nigerians there going to try to be your friend and rip you off. So don't pay attention to them.

Have fun!

Here's a couple of good websites on Japan:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Tokyo/Shinjuku
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/
Thanks for the links!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
sensoji temple FTMFW. (tokyo) very beautiful. if you can, get away to kyoto and nara. both towns are stunning in old world japanese architecture and culture.

if you like sushi, definitely go to tsukiji fish market EARLY in the morning. i usually do this the first night i'm there because i'm usually up all night anyway. it's quite an experience to see all various seafood come right in off the ocean, tuna auctions, and just all the crazy commotion that goes on. you'll also get to have some of the freshest raw seafood you'll ever have, if you so choose.

you'll benefit very well from a travel guide. i used frommers the first time i went to japan, it was very helpful. plan your days out ahead of time that way you don't look too touristy walking around with your nose in a travel guide.

japan is by far my favorite vacation destination. you'll have a blast and won't want to come home. i don't get that feeling from anywhere else in the world, and i consider myself well traveled.
i love sushi, but i don't think i'll be there early enough. lol, thanks for the tips
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
Androo000
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 GC

just dont hit on DK's girl.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
LTO
Optometrist Prime
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i'm moving to japan in a month! i'll be out in yokosuka though. hope i get a lot of time to travel.
      05-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTO View Post
i'm moving to japan in a month! i'll be out in yokosuka though. hope i get a lot of time to travel.
lucky
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Try to play some Pachinko. Heard those shops/parlors are full 24/7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachinko
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black

I just stayed in Tokyo for a week last year.
Here are places I recommend you visit:
1) Shinjuku: I think this is the business center of Tokyo. There are a lot of delicious, relatively cheap restaurants here that cater to salarymen.
2) Shibuya: This is the youth fashion mecca of Japan. There are a lot of clothing stores here and I think all the really pretty Japanese girls are here. Oh, and that really congested crosswalk is also here.
3) Akihabara: Electronics mecca. This is where you want to buy a new phone or TV because all the newest electronic releases are here.
4) Ginza: This place reminds me of Beverly Hills. There are a lot of luxury brand stores (e.g., Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior, Gucci, etc.) Also, there are a lot of nice luxury cars here...this is the place where I saw my first GT-R.
5) Harajuku: Here, you'll witness a lot of young Japanese kids wearing the strangest outfits.
6) Omotesando: This place is next to Harajuku and is similar to Ginza in that there are a lot of luxury brand stores.
      05-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #16
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post
2 things to be aware of:
Additionally, be aware of "buy me drinky girls". Some clubs in Japan import girls from the Philippines who are led to believe that they'll are entering Japan to be "Models". Such women work for the clubs as a sort of indentured servant and their job is to drum up revenue for the establishment by being flirtatious, thus getting gentlemen to buy drinks for them. They *will not* be leaving with you when the club closes its doors at the end of the night, no matter how much they might lead you to believe another drink might seal the deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #17
jhv
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

itt: weaboos
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
well we're not sure if we will be going to Japan anymore. My cousin told me that June is the "rainy season"
so we might be going somewhere in europe

Last edited by BillLee; 05-12-2009 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
lol
      05-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #20
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androo000 View Post
lol
i'll make sure not to.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #21
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androo000 View Post

I was gonna say be sure to watch Tokyo Drift to get acclimated to the culture.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #22
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee View Post
well we're not sure if we will be going to Japan anymore. My cousin told me that June is the "rainy season"
so we might be going somewhere in europe
Europe might rain too. I went there late May a few years back and it rained for about 2 days- not continuously but enough to put a dent in anyone's plan. So I guess just watch the weather and plan accordingly.
Appreciate 0