BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Wheel Arch Trim Removal

05-25-2024, 08:13 AM   #1
AWJDThumper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Wheel Arch Trim Removal

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I need to repair/replace the rear wheel arch trim on the one side of my 2019 X1.

I have removed all of the plastic rivets but I am struggling to prise off the trim. It looks from pics of a new trim, that there are 3 x flattish clips in the rear part but it is not clear what needs to be done to release them. I do not want to apply too much force for fear of damaging the trim or the bodywork.

I would appreciate any help from someone who knows how to remove this trim?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 10:02 PM   #2
victorngcm
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F48

There is a small round circle at the centre of the plastic rivet. You may use a small, sharp o-ring pick tool to insert the small circle into the rivet, then you are free to remove them

Or you mean the rivet behide the rim?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 12:16 AM   #3
AWJDThumper
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've removed the plastic rivets by punching the centre pins through - that was the easier part.

Having removed the rivets from the underside, I am struggling to prise off the trim from the bodywork. From pics of the trim, it looks as though there are 6 x press-fit studs and 3 x flat tab clips towards the rear.

I believe these tabs fit through narrow slots in the bodywork and are then held in place by sprung catches. The problem I have is working out how to release these catches as this part of the trim is held very firmly to the bodywork. I'm even struggling to get something between the trim and the bodywork to get at the spring catches as everything is very tightly held in place.

I would like to remove the trim without damaging it so I can repair some scratching on it. At the moment, I'm running the risk of scratching the paintwork trying to force something behind the trim to try to release the tabs! If I can't work out how to do this, I'm going to end up destroying the trim to get it off and will then have to buy a new one and have if spray painted the correct colour!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 07:15 AM   #4
AWJDThumper
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've tried as hard as I can to try to prise off the wheel arch trim but it won't budge - as said, without knowing exactly how it is clipped on, I am basically working blind.

I had hoped to repair the old trim but I think it will be easier to buy a replacement and then spray it the correct colour. At that point, I will not mind if I then have to destroy the old one to get it off!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 09:44 AM   #5
limsheng
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X1  [9.00]

But this is for m-sport trim.

Would you like to remove the wheel arch cover as well? That’s one fun part.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2024, 10:13 AM   #6
AWJDThumper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just to bring my original thread to a conclusion:

To recap: I damaged the LH rear wheel arch trim by scraping it against my front garden low wall.

Originally, I wanted to remove the trim and then repair it but decided to buy a replacement trim piece and spray this the correct colour. Fortunately, I'm an experienced spray painter and so this wasn't a big issue.

Removing the original trim was the fun bit. I had already removed the plastic pop rivets that hold the underside of the trim against the wheel arch but the trim was held against the side of the bodywork by ~ 6 press studs in the front half and 4 barbed tabs in the rear half.

I managed to pry open the rear most tab using a small flat screwdriver but then destroyed the next one along trying to release it. All the other fasteners released without much of a problem using a bit of brute force.

So my conclusion is to only remove these bits of trim if you are going to replace them - most people won't get them off without damaging them
Appreciate 0