BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) All weather tire option: Bridgestone vs Firestone

09-24-2024, 01:59 PM   #1
Shay1128
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xi, X1 (pre-LCI)

All weather tire option: Bridgestone vs Firestone

Hello, my Pirelli all-season tires are at the end of life and need replacing. However, I'm looking to change it to all weather tires and wanted opinions on which is better - Bridgestone Weatherpeak or Firestone Weathergrip. I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada - so, urban driving only.

While I know Bridgestone is supposed to be more premium, I'd like to understand if Firestone is any better - given it's more than $120 cheaper.

I heard Firestone is considerably louder (road-noise wise) compared to Bridgestone. Considering this is the fist time I will be using non-runflats (previously it was always BMW certified Run Flat Pirellis), will the ride smoothless and road noise be better or worst

To sum it up:
1. Bridgestone or Firestone?
2. Road-noise and smoothness compared to Pirellis Cinturato All Season?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2024, 07:34 PM   #2
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

You're correct in that the Bridgestone Weatherpeak is a higher end tire than the Firestone Weathergrip. That's not to say the Firestone will be a bad tire, just that it might not have the refinement of a more expensive tire.

That said however, I think either option will be an improvement over the stock Pirelli Cinturato run flats. I really dislike run flat tires. They ride very harsh, they're noisy, and in my experience, they're very fragile in terms of sidewall bubbles. Getting rid of the run flat stock tires is always one of the first things I've done over the years.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:35 PM   #3
Shay1128
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xi, X1 (pre-LCI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2112 View Post
You're correct in that the Bridgestone Weatherpeak is a higher end tire than the Firestone Weathergrip. That's not to say the Firestone will be a bad tire, just that it might not have the refinement of a more expensive tire.

That said however, I think either option will be an improvement over the stock Pirelli Cinturato run flats. I really dislike run flat tires. They ride very harsh, they're noisy, and in my experience, they're very fragile in terms of sidewall bubbles. Getting rid of the run flat stock tires is always one of the first things I've done over the years.
Appreciate the insight - I am going to wait it out for a bit as I just checked the tire tread depth and its 4/32 and 5/32 on the front and 7/32 for both the rear tires. I think after winter, I maybe able to pull another spring, summer and fall before switching back to my winters. In which case it would be 2026 spring for purchasing new tires - hopefully by then its upgrade time to the X6 :P
Appreciate 0