View Single Post
      02-27-2022, 09:17 AM   #21
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I can state with authority that rack-mounted APC Smart-UPS dual conversion or switched transfer UPS units do not like dirty/shaky generator power. They keep flapping back to battery power on every minor ripple, and ultimately deplete their batteries because they won't steadily recharge from the generator feed. One of our buildings at work had a 15K generator dedicated to keeping the phone PBX running, connected to 6K of APC UPS. Upgrading to a 25K generator made the UPS units more tolerant of the generator power, but they still flap at times. Edge closets all over the grounds have similar problems on generator power. I've read online a general rule of thumb for APC UPS units is to size the generator at 3x the capacity of the UPS, but my experience is that 4x is still not perfect.

For my own house, I went with two Eaton UPS units. They are happy on our 6.5K portable generator, which has the ugliest power output imaginable. I have a tiny home-grade APC unit on my weather station, and it also flaps its transfer relay every 5-10 seconds whenever the generator is running. The stuff to power the weather station via PoE is on my project bench, to rid my house of that APC scourge.....
Their NOC should have seen these issues and taken corrective action if their systems are being properly monitored. So still an epic fail on all counts with their incompetence.

I had an overvoltage situation where the power company was sending 180V on each phase feeding my neighborhood. This lasted for hours. I have a Vertiv GXT4 6.5kVA UPS feeding my main rack in my basement and a GXT4 1500VA feeding the 24U wall rack. Both of these did their job when they saw the overvoltage situation and went on battery power. Had I ran an NMS at the time, I would have seen the alerts of the power issues.

I also have a Generac 20kW backup generator for my home. My UPS' have had no problems running off of that generator properly.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615556.00