02-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #122
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Interviewee on Bloomberg Radio reiterated strong fundamentals. The economic backdrop is strong, world events are a temporary distraction.

Another interviewee, Chief Clinical Officer at a Seattle hospital, on a separate segment of Bloomberg Radio, said very little to convince me that the virus is hardly more than a severe flue. She said, in essence, "stay home if you are sick." We knew that already.

With respect and empathy to the sick, this is not a global cataclysm.
I don’t think the market is reflecting a panic that we are entering a period like in the Walking Dead. I think the market concern is that the news will clearly affect human and corporate behavior, most notably reduced consumption and spending. This would obviously affect global economic growth by definition, as well as corporate earnings. The issue is the unknown amount of impact - how severe and for how long.

Interesting that you quoted Bloomberg Radio. I saw a commercial by Mike Bloomberg today saying he knows how to deal with a pandemic or something like that. Given the election cycle we are in, there is also an incentive for some to exasperate the public perception for perceived political gain, which will fuel economic concerns.

Edit - here it is:

Last edited by RickFLM4; 02-27-2020 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0