View Single Post
      08-26-2022, 01:29 PM   #100
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
of course, but it is still safer than travel by car.....

In absolute numbers, driving is more dangerous, with more than 5 million accidents compared to 20 accidents in flying. A more direct comparison per 100 million miles pits driving's 1.27 fatalities and 80 injuries against flying's lack of deaths and almost no injuries, which again shows air travel to be safer.
I was commenting on your assertion that it'll be just a OK with autonomous flying going from point A to point B. With current air travel, you have pilots that have to pass way more rigorous training and testing than the joke of a licensing system to get a driver's license. You have highly regulated air space and yet there are still issues.

Now move even the fraction of travel on the road to the skies. When you have an issue, it's not just in the X and Y planes...horizontal. You have the Z plane...vertical. Now you have gravity at work and hoping the incident doesn't happen above some housing complex. Then you have the issues with total autonomous technology. I put up a link where a group of autonomous vehicles that are in the fleet for a taxi operator all had a major fail. A mass of them just stopped at an intersection blocking traffic for hours until employees of said company had to go down and move them manually. So you'd have to have some sort of manual intervention. Do you think the licensing requirements are going to be maintained for the general public to operate such airborne vehicles? I certainly doubt it. I watched some fool of a driver trying to back into a parking spot at Sam's Club. She had a huge amount of space yet came within inches of hitting the car next to her. And even after I had parked my car and walked into Sam's from a space some distance from her, she still couldn't get the car straight in her spot.
Appreciate 0