07-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #3
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperson View Post
I'm doing some research for my next car. We are a small family (2 adults, one 4 year old girl, and an 8 month baby girl). We currently have a Citroen C4 1.6 VTi - 120 hp, 160Nm torque @ 4200 RPM, 0 to 100km/h in 10.8s - not a particularly fast car by any means.

Most of our driving (like...90%) is city driving, carrying my girl from home to school and back, going to friend's houses, visiting the supermarket or the shopping mall, that sort of thing. A few times a year we adventure out the city for weekend getaways, a few hundred km away. Usually on highway or half decent paved roads.

We've been contemplating different alternatives, and the X1 is certainly high on my list, since i've always wanted a german car. I could get a manual transmission X1 with a few optionals like sunroof and harman kardon audio, and it would fall squarely within our budget. Thing is, they don't have it in stock locally, so i cannot test drive this particular version of the car.

I wonder though, given my car needs, and the vehicle i'm coming from (which is certainly not spectacular in any particular regard)...would it make sense to make this move? Would i be missing too much of the "BMW experience" from going with a smallish engine X1 with manual transmission instead of automatic?
The sdrive 18i is very popular in Greece being the most affordable version of the X1, since all bigger engines are heavily taxed by our left wing government.

I have the sdrive 18i in the xline trim (plus auto folding mirrors, no leds, sunroof, navi, HK or other fancy extras) with the 6-gear automatic transmission, since February 2017.

My previous cars were a 2007 Toyota RAV4 (2000cc 152HP) and a 2014 Nissan Qashqai 1500 dci diesel (110HP).
Had to sell the Qashqai quite soon because it suffered from quality and built issues and decided to pay the extra money for a more refined and quality car like the X1 even with its entry level engine.

The engine drives adequately and quite economical, too!
I only use the car for family (2 adults and 3 kids, 11 and 6 years old) journeys (run 3000 km until now) and even though I usually drive at high speeds (between 130 - 170 km/h) the consumption is surprisingly nice (between 6,9 - 7,7 litres per 100km).
The car handles great and is by far the best I have ever driven.
Appreciate 0