View Single Post
      11-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #12
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
f you do not have then next check is - do you have. A central dash speaker? -if yes you have the BMW middle upgrade with dedicated amp and slightly better quality speakers. if not then you have the basic 6 speaker system. If you do have a central dash speaker then you can switch the BMW amp for HK one and upgrade the speakers. The amp is hidden in the boot/trunk behind left hand side panels. If you just have basic system with no separate amp the. You can still upgrade the six speakers nd also retrofit HK tweeters.
I have a grill in the dash for a central speaker, but I have no idea if there's a speaker in there. I can't see one through the windshield, and I'm not going to pull the dash to check. Are you sure BMW makes two different dashboards?

The HK system, if its like the previous generations, has a separate amp channel for each driver. (The E36 one for example had 10 channels, 3 for each front corner and two for each rear, so the whole system was actively crossed at the amp instead of passively crossed at the corners, with all the attendant problems that creates.) I think the HK system has 4 or 5 more speakers in it than the lower system(s), so if I put the HK amp in the slot isn't there a problem with channels running to a dead end and therefore holes in the frequency response? Or did HK go back to a proper 4 corner topology with passives at each corner?
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0