View Single Post
      11-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #155
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I don't understand why people and the media are shocked by the "surge" in recent cases. Everything is playing out just as the experts warned us back in the spring.

- The initial surge was centered in major US cities. Then it would go into mid-major cities and then finally small cities/towns and rural areas. Older populations would be affected first and then surge across younger populations. This is exactly what's happened.

- As colder weather sets in, cases were expected to surge dramatically. This isn't news.

- The current surge is largely the result of COVID finally reaching the expansiveness of our numerous small cities/towns and rural areas plus the steady on-going cases in more populated areas and increased cases among the sub 50 y/o crowd. This was expected.

- Cases have been going up steadily for weeks and weeks yet deaths are not really increasing and in many areas, they're going down. Medical staff are far better at managing the symptoms now and you're likelihood of dying from COVID has been cut nearly in half now. That is a fact.

- In my county of over 630,000, we have 10 COVID patients in the hospital. Since the start of this thing, we've had a total of 611 COVID hospitalizations. The hospitalization rate has not varied much as all for the past 5 months.

- Kids have been back in the public schools (7th thru 12th = hybrid, K through 6th full-time) since early October and cases haven't exploded or have there been outbreaks in the schools.

- Our county has been under a mask mandate since late June. Everyone wears masks inside all public spaces. I'm even required to wear a mask outside when watching my daughter play soccer. Mask usage and the mandates have not improved case or death wise in the county. Cases have been increasing for months. Color me not surprised.

- Europe's recent restrictions and lock-downs aren't going to help them in the long run other than wreck their economy and cause more grief, frustration, and depression. Restrict and lock-down and cases will go down, open back up and it all goes back up. They can point fingers and laugh at the US, but they are right where we are with surging cases amongst the sub 50 y/o crowd and introduction of COVID into rural areas and little in terms of increased death.

- Why no more talk of Sweden? Their cases have been going up and up since mid-September yet daily deaths have been hovering in the 2 to 4 range since early August.
I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few days restrictions start to lax....
Appreciate 0