10-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #169
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
There is cheating...putting in lead shot post race to achieve minimum weight, running a second fuel tank, traction control, bendy wings etc....and there is innovation, where a new idea (such as DAS or tyre cooling) is legal within the regulations as written but maybe later deemed illegal by rewriting said regulations.

A team can (and do) request clarification if they would like to know if an "innovation" being run by a competitor (or being developed by themselves for their car) is legal within the current regulations...usually if the idea was considered borderline legal/illegal

If Mercedes were running a system that any other team or the FIA thought was illegal then it would be investigated.

There is no grey area per se...where the legality of something is open to interpretation...A system is either legal or illegal and that is decided by the FIA.

Mate I get it may seem difficult to comprehend, but just because a team is doing a better job than everyone else doesn't mean they are cheating...sure they could be but its not a given.
1. These things are not always as obvious as DAS. For example, how long was Ferrari running their fuel flow trick?

2. There is definitely gray area.

3. If you read what I actually wrote you will see that I said it's hard to believe 100% that they don't have anything controversial, i.e. I didn't say they were cheating but of course understand it is possible that they have something which could be considered "cheating" since it has been common in F1 for quite some time.

3. I'm not your mate, guy.