View Single Post
      10-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
br2wdc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 LMB

During the BMW Spartanburg plant tour this past February, the tour guide mentioned 95%+ of the production is to custom specification based on a specific customer order; very little production today is "generic" and then shipped to a dealer.

I don't remember anything about a video of your car being produced, but the most interesting option was the "Performance Delivery" that any new BMW car buyer (US based) can choose to pickup their car at the BMW Performance Center. This is a no cost option where they put you up the night before your delivery date at the Marriott, feed you multiple times, and then let you drive BMW demo cars on their tracks (includes an off road track) before taking delivery of your new BMW.

You do have to pay your way to Spartanburg, but that is hardly a downside. Also, I think the wait time for your order was 6-8 weeks, though I am guessing with the Pandemic it's probably shorter now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
If I recall correctly, BMW Spartanburg did have something like this back in 2012-2014 if you were a US buyer getting an X3. Can't remember if it was still pictures or video but you could see your X3 being built in some form.

Back then BMW was actively promoting the fact that you could order your X3 or X5/X6 (to your specification) and have it within 3-4 weeks from the factory.

2011 E90 M3 | Le Mans Blue | DCT | Slicktop
“The end is inevitable Maverick, your kind is headed for extinction” … “maybe so sir, but not today” – Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick
Previous: 2006 E90 330i | 6MT -- 2001 E39 540i | 6MT -- 1997 E36 M3 | Techno Violet | 5MT
Appreciate 0