Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, F48 28i

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorbitman View Post
I have a 2018 BMW X1 with the front LED package and I noticed that the taillight configuration is different for the X1's equipped with front LEDs and those equipped with halogen lights. In the manual BMW states that there's no inside brake lamp, however when I look closeup in the rear of the tailgate I noticed that there's a bulb there but when I depress the brake pedal they don't illuminate (turn on) and when I turn on the headlights they don't light up either. So are these the "fog" taillights that are used in European models only....and I did notice here on the forum that there's a way to code these so that they go on even if you don't have the light switch. So is this basically just not active or is does it serve another function such as an extra light if the regular one burns out like a redundant system? Why would BMW put a light bulb there if it's of no use? Just to save costs to use similar taillight assemblies from one region or country to another?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorbitman View Post
I have a 2018 BMW X1 with the front LED package and I noticed that the taillight configuration is different for the X1's equipped with front LEDs and those equipped with halogen lights. In the manual BMW states that there's no inside brake lamp, however when I look closeup in the rear of the tailgate I noticed that there's a bulb there but when I depress the brake pedal they don't illuminate (turn on) and when I turn on the headlights they don't light up either. So are these the "fog" taillights that are used in European models only....and I did notice here on the forum that there's a way to code these so that they go on even if you don't have the light switch. So is this basically just not active or is does it serve another function such as an extra light if the regular one burns out like a redundant system? Why would BMW put a light bulb there if it's of no use? Just to save costs to use similar taillight assemblies from one region or country to another?
It's is still used as a brake light. If you brake hard it will light up. It works as a rear fog also. But u will need to pry the switch below the front fog light switch and grind or cut the little plastic. You also can code to light up together with outer brake light.
Appreciate 0