06-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #12
bitterspeak
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
I have to say I'm firmly in the camp of not doing reverse grid races to determine starting positions. It just feels too much of a gimmick and an artificial of way of trying to make the racing more interesting. It seems like a bandaid fix instead of addressing the underlying issue.
Agreed! I think any "success ballast" whether in the form of actual weights, reverse grid, or any penalties for good results is meant to create a spectacle. Did you guys remember in the mid-2000s when they were going to use sprinklers to create artificial wet races? :

The goal of F1 has always been "May the best package win." This gimmick is definitely not representative of the soul of the sport. I don't disagree with Toto... Mercedes has done a good job investing in their performance, penalizing their success doesn't provide an incentive. It might be fun for fans but it would be terrible for the organizations and their sponsors.

For example, let's say Renault comes to grid with an amazing car. But they start in the back because they were on the podium in the previous race? Well, that's BS. Teams should be rewarded with the hard work they put in. That's how you get success stories (Brawn GP, Bennetton, etc).

On that note, if F1 wants to turn into an exhibition and not have this 2020 season count in the championship history, I'm fine with success ballasts and making the races artificially fun.
Appreciate 3
yco5724.50
apexit41230.50