Customer Support Executive
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire , GU14 0FB
Tel: +44 (0) 800 3256 000
Mail to: customer.information@bmw.co.uk
URL: www.bmw.co.uk

I asked

I have asked a few times about the EDC system on the BMW X1. As yet I have not received a detailed enough answer.

Is the EDC option a "dumb" 2 setting system or is it more complex?
Exactly which sensors are used in the BMW X1 EDC system?
Can it really enhance the ride in comfort mode in real time?

Apologies for the information you have received previously. To clarify, Electronic Damper Control is often a term used to describe Variable Damper Control in other markets. The link you received earlier was from the international BMW website.

Here in the UK EDC and VDC have two very distinct functions and descriptions that will differ from other markets. Electronic Damper Control allows the damper characteristics to be adjusted by the driver based on the driving conditions, either to improve rolling comfort or to increase driving dynamism. In addition to the standard setting Comfort, which guarantees smooth and comfortable rolling characteristics, Sport mode is also available. In Sport mode the dampers are stiffened and the vehicle is set up to feel more direct and sporty. The various modes are activated via the Driving Experience Control in the centre console.

So you could say it is a "dumb" two setting system as you described in your reply. The dampers will behave differently depending on if you have selected Comfort or Sport.

With Variable Damper Control as referred to in the UK specification, the shock absorbers automatically adjust to road conditions. Depending on the model this option also adds Sport+ mode to the Drive Performance Control. You'll notice Sport+ is not part of EDC on the X1. A UK spec X1 will need Sport automatic transmission or Variable Sport steering for Sport+

It is important to note however that VDC is not available on the UK spec X1. It is available on other cars in the range, notably on the X range, it is part of the X3 and X4. On the X5 VDC is part of the options for Adaptive M Suspension and Adaptive Comfort Suspension.

I hope this answers your questions. And apologies for any confusion caused.

They got there in the end, now i just need to ring up BMW and remove it before they place my order :P

So there you have it. THE TRUTH!!!!!
Appreciate 2
CliveL163.00
ttimbo281.50