Phillip Owen
BMW Customer Support Executive
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire , GU14 0FB
Tel: +44 (0) 800 325 6000
Mail to: customer.information@bmw.co.uk
URL: www.bmw.co.uk

Note that this is a completely different person than before.

1. What sensors does the EDC system use on the UK BMW X1 (F48) to adjust the shock settings in real time?The sensors constantly monitor all factors influencing the vehicle's behaviour and occupants' comfort, in order to precisely adjust the damper control. In a fraction of a second, the signals are analysed by the EDC microprocessor and orders are sent to the actuators on the shock absorbers.
More information about the functioning of EDC can be found here.

2. What is the difference between Dynamic Damper Control (DDC) Variable Damper control (VDC) and Electronic Damper control (EDC)?
VDC enables adjustment of steering feel, throttle response engine response and suspension settings, however the BMW X1 doesn’t come with this option.

Granted this guy is just repeating what is on BMWs website and he doesnt actually even answer the questions asked. Both BMW support reps think the EDC on the BMW X1 is sensor controlled.

In fact the only thing pointing towards a dumb system is the Australian training manuals. These manuals do describe a SAS module, could this be a steering angle sensor? The website and the support reps think this is a sensor controlled system. I don't know what to believe.

What do i need to ask BMW to get a detailed truthful answer. Or rather WHO do i need to speak too?

Last edited by mchlpeel; 03-27-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0